Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #761
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
That would be so embarrassing for the city.
The Walmart Olympics - welcome to the new Calgary!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #762
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
Opening and closing ceremonies would be held at Stampede Grandstand
Whereas in the real world, Pyeongchang was required to build a 50,000-seat stadium exclusively for the opening and closing ceremonies, because no existing local venue met the IOC's requirements. The stadium cost $78 million to build and will be dismantled after the Olympics, having been used only twice.

Yeah, safe to say that the City of Calgary's cheapjack approach will not fly with the IOC, and those cost estimates will have to be revised upwards.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #763
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Whereas in the real world, Pyeongchang was required to build a 50,000-seat stadium exclusively for the opening and closing ceremonies, because no existing local venue met the IOC's requirements. The stadium cost $78 million to build and will be dismantled after the Olympics, having been used only twice.

Yeah, safe to say that the City of Calgary's cheapjack approach will not fly with the IOC, and those cost estimates will have to be revised upwards.
Again. If they say no, we say no. No one seems to understand the concept of leverage.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #764
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Again. If they say no, we say no. No one seems to understand the concept of leverage.
That's as it may be. But it's rather a stretch to think that the proposed bid and budget resemble anything the IOC would accept. I should think it was a foregone conclusion that the IOC would say no to the Corral and the Stampede grandstand.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #765
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I havent read much of the thread but why wouldnt the opening/closing ceremonies be at McMahon?
And instead of the Corral, Winsport has a really nice 4000ish seat arena or even Max Bell that both have the bigger ice surface.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #766
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

They want these on the Stampede grounds because centralizing a majority of events on the grounds will help with security costs.

The problem however, is that most of the complexes on the grounds are freaking dumps
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #767
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we can't do the opening/closing ceremonies at the Stampede Grandstand, which seems completely feasible and reasonable, just because the IOC wouldn't agree, then eff hosting the Olympics. Unless they want to pay for the venue themselves.

I do think that for second venue, we could do better? I figure with the feildhouse, they would be replacing the Norma Bush/Father Bauer arenas. The upgrade could be a suitable replacement?
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:42 AM   #768
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
If we can't do the opening/closing ceremonies at the Stampede Grandstand, which seems completely feasible and reasonable, just because the IOC wouldn't agree, then eff hosting the Olympics. Unless they want to pay for the venue themselves.
Even in 1988, the ceremonies were held at McMahon Stadium, which then seated 38,205. The Stampede grandstand seats 17,000. It wouldn't even accommodate the VIPs and their entourages, let alone any paying members of the public. I see approximately zero chance that the IOC would approve it as a venue. It is neither feasible nor reasonable.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:20 AM   #769
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand the need for a financially feasible games, but if it means having to host events in the Stampede Grandstand and Corral, I think I'd just rather pass and save us the embarrassment. It's the facility equivalent of carrying the olympic torch on the back of a pickup truck.

The Olympics don't have to be a grand display, but they shouldn't be cringe worthy.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 03:37 AM   #770
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

I do think that for second venue, we could do better? I figure with the feildhouse, they would be replacing the Norma Bush/Father Bauer arenas. The upgrade could be a suitable replacement?
There were once plans to semi enclose the landing area of the ski-jumps to deal with wind. In my ideal Olympic scenario new regulation ski jumps are built at COP, and the landing bowl is basically built with enough seating stadium with capacity to host the ceremonies (Lillehammer did this, btw) and structures to limit crosswinds. Ideally the upper portion of the structure could be relocated as as a new sporting venue after the games.

NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NiklasSundblad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 AM   #771
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

depends how far some of you want to take a budget Olympics.
Calgary will be on view to the world. do you really want to showcase the city with 3rd rate facilities? Are you hoping for a break even Olympics or a legacy project? you can't have both. you want it done on the cheap, Calgary will look cheap.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #772
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why all the hate for the Corral as a venue? It has proven to be a reliable arena; and if it is good enough for SuperDogs, its gotta be good enough for Olympic hockey.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #773
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Corral is fine as a secondary hockey venue. The Hitmen playoff game 2 years ago was a fantastic experience.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 08:43 AM   #774
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

My god, the Corral as an Olympic venue. In 2026.

Kill me now.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 08:46 AM   #775
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recall there was a recent design scheme for a renovated and upgraded Grandstand, where it would be covered.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:52 AM   #776
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't this though the type of evolution the Olympics NEED to make?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #777
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I understand the need for a financially feasible games, but if it means having to host events in the Stampede Grandstand and Corral, I think I'd just rather pass and save us the embarrassment. It's the facility equivalent of carrying the olympic torch on the back of a pickup truck.

The Olympics don't have to be a grand display, but they shouldn't be cringe worthy.
I'm not sure it would be that. There's a lot of open space to work with that you can install temporarily seating areas to make it enclosed, reach the minimum capacity, and look alright from an aesthetics and optic point of view.

Unless we're building a brand new football stadium itself for the Stamps within the next 8 years, we don't have options aside from the Grandstand and McMahon Stadium. I think since you only need to have a temporary structure for the ceremonies, it's not a bad idea if they want to centralize the main activities around the Stampede area.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #778
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

LA to host the 2028 games at a cost of $5.3 billion. Interesting financial specifics are inside.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...731-story.html
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #779
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
LA to host the 2028 games at a cost of $5.3 billion. Interesting financial specifics are inside.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...731-story.html
Interesting that the IOC has given about a $2 billion incentive to accept 2028 vs 2024 for LA.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #780
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasSundblad View Post
There were once plans to semi enclose the landing area of the ski-jumps to deal with wind. In my ideal Olympic scenario new regulation ski jumps are built at COP, and the landing bowl is basically built with enough seating stadium with capacity to host the ceremonies (Lillehammer did this, btw) and structures to limit crosswinds. Ideally the upper portion of the structure could be relocated as as a new sporting venue after the games.

Really good idea but the ski jumps cannot be rebuilt to Normal and Large hill standards; the highways is now in the way,
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote