Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Jessica Jones

Wondering why there isn't a thread for this yet....

It started streaming on Netflix Thursday night at midnight I think or at some point on Friday. Its only 12 episodes long like DD was so it isn't that long but from a couple friends I know who've already watched them all, they say it's not long enough (in a good way because you want even more). I'm only on episode 8 and I already think it's one of the best shows I've seen in a while. It's not just a crime show with lots of fighting, there is a lot of character development, back story and all kinds of other things that make every episode captivating. Tennant as the bad guy is perfect and I honestly think he's one of the best bad guys Marvel has had so far (if not the best). There are so many creepy things that have happened so far but there's also a lot of funny things that have happened.

If you haven't watched it, start watching it. You don't need to know anything about the comic or the characters at all (although it would help). This is just another home run by Netflix/Marvel.

(From what I heard, they are moving forward with an Iron Fist show too!)
Old 11-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was discussion about it in the TV show thread, starting at reply #2475. I thought it was good, though I didn't enjoy it quite as much as you did.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we can use this thread to discuss the Netflix Marvel Series?

Daredevil and Jessica Jones have already been released, with Luke Cage scheduled for 2016 and Iron Fist and the Defenders TBD.

There have also been rumours the Defenders will show up in the Infinity Wars.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I stopped after episode 3, I found it pretty boring.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
I stopped after episode 3, I found it pretty boring.
I made a wordier post in the TV thread that said essentially the same thing.

Anyone find that the show really picked up after the 3rd episode? Or did it just continue at the same pace/level?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #6
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The pace and tone is about the same throughout, although things do get quite violent and intense at times. Stretching the plot out to 13 episodes really hurts the show IMO don't read if you haven't seen season 1
Spoiler!
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm on episode 5 and I'm quite enjoying this show. Much more than daredevil... which is odd but I just couldn't get into that show.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic show. Still can't get over the fact that the girl who OD'd in Jesse's bed is actually named Jessica and is a super hero.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I made a wordier post in the TV thread that said essentially the same thing.

Anyone find that the show really picked up after the 3rd episode? Or did it just continue at the same pace/level?
I think it picked up in terms of interesting info on the characters - you get more of Jessica's back story and Kilgrave's back story, but the supporting characters get fleshed out more too. In terms of action - well, there's the occasional action sequence, but I wouldn't say the last 10 episodes hold more action than the first 3, on average.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #10
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Fantastic show. Still can't get over the fact that the girl who OD'd in Jesse's bed is actually named Jessica and is a super hero.
That's how she got her super powers!

DON'T DO DRUGS, KIDS.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:50 AM   #11
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just finished the series, I think I liked Daredevil better but this is still quite strong IMO. Tennant absolutely nailed his performance and was one of the best villains in any comic book movie/tv series. I'm quite excited to see what they do next for these series and how they're all going to tie together, nice little dark Avengers group they're assembling
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #12
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it was an amazing series because it was good without having to have a lot of over the top special effects and it was somewhat real. I know the whole mind control thing isn't real but there are people who have a lot of influence over people and make people do some F'ed up stuff. Tennant was the creepiest villain I've seen in....possibly ever. It wasn't a 10 but it was as good as Dare Devil, just in a different way.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm on episode 7 so far. I like it way more than Daredevil. I had to struggle to get through DD. It was boring, I didn't like the actor, and I just don't like the concept of Daredevil - a blind guy whose super power is he can (sort of) see. It's kinda dumb.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it. Lots of good acting, and I liked the calm pacing. It's pretty far from SHIELD or any of the movie Marvels. Even further down the "everyday superhero" path than Daredevil.

I have a real soft spot for this kind of superhero stuff. It reminds me in some ways of the Spider-Man comics where between saving the city Peter Parker has problems such as pleasing his elderly aunt, making rent, spoiled milk in the refrigerator and his costume smelling like old socks.

I think it's safe to call JJ somewhat a niche series. It sticks to it's own formula and doesn't aim for mass appeal.

I think it would have benefitted from cutting the length of the whole thing by 2-3 episodes, but almost every series ever stretches out too long for my tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The pacing in this show is just bad, I honestly thought that ep 10 was the last episode. They just dragged it on and on. There are also some deep flaws in some of the logic.

Spoiler!

I liked the concept and I liked how dark her origin story is, but yea, the show just didn't do it for me.

renny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #16
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spoiler!
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #17
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished the whole series on the weekend. Loved it. I like Daredevil better overall, but still a quality show, very well done.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #18
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just started watching this, 2 episodes in. Holy ####. I cannot believe they had the balls to use Kilgrave as a villain. That is arguably the harshest, most upsetting material Marvel's ever published and that's where they go right away in episode 1?

Makes Daredevil look like children's TV in comparison.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #19
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I actually can't believe a Marvel property gets as dark as this does. I liked it better than Daredevil I think.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:15 AM   #20
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I actually can't believe a Marvel property gets as dark as this does. I liked it better than Daredevil I think.
Makes me excited to see what they do with the Punisher this time around. They had no problem showing some pretty extreme violence in JJ (that garbage disposal scene, damn), so they should be able to do justice to Frank Castle
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote