Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #41
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

So final thoughts on the weekend guys?

WvW was definitely fun, but there were some problems. I think sieges (getting walls / doors down) was probably too short and there was definitely a problem with people not loading properly and bad lag.

A lot of the times a group could roll up on you and they wouldn't know it until they were right on top of you, or some wouldn't even load in correctly until they were a corpse. Enemies and Allies.

That needs to be fixed.

But overall, a lot of fun and if they fix some of the loading issues and lag, it would be great.

CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #42
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was definitely a little rough for the first half of the weekend, but things got way smoother for the last half. I mostly stuck to PvE and thought it was great for this stage of development. As a long time player of more traditional MMO's, I felt lost and confused for the first 6 - 8 levels, but quickly realized that walking around doing "heart quests" and jumping into events is way more fun than sitting around for 20 minutes LFG.

I also loved the fact that you don't have to rely on the holy trinity to make a group. I just walked around and sort of teamed up with other players. I was really worried that not requiring tanks or healers would end up in everyone playing the same sort of vanilla dps class, but I didn't actually find that to be true at all.

I am really impressed with how this game is taking shape and can't wait to play the final product. People in game were talking a June release date. Is that just rumor?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #43
FusionX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had fun during the beta weekend. Considering I'm playing from Australia with a crappy laptop, everything but massive pvp and dynamic events stuff was playable with decent frame rates and little lag. Tried out all the professions both pve and pvp with the result being that I never got past level 6 on any one character, but I think I know which ones I enjoy more than others now. Only sad thing was I don't know anyone else who was playing on the beta so it felt lonely at times haha.
FusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #44
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Just a reminder, next BWE is this weekend!
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #45
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Wish I was at home so I could take part in these beta events. I'll have to wait until the game is actually released, unfortunately.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #46
eden
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Release date finally announced! August 28 for the launch, they also announced a last beta weekend for July 20-22. Very happy with this news after playing the first two beta weekends having a blast with the game.
eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #47
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden View Post
Release date finally announced! August 28 for the launch, they also announced a last beta weekend for July 20-22. Very happy with this news after playing the first two beta weekends having a blast with the game.
Taking the entire week off? I'm debating it right now.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #48
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't seen a lot of talk about this game, had to dig the thread up from page 4.

I'm actually pretty excited to try it out. I haven't played any of the BWEs yet, but I did play some Guild Wars 1 (even though 2 is quite different I hear) and had a lot of fun with it.

I found a great write-up or FAQ type post earlier that talks about what to expect in the game.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #49
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Isn't Conquest the same name RIFT used for their large scale PvP?

That read is incredible, and answered so many questions. This definitely seems like a game I could check out. I was planning on re opening my RIFT account this weekend, but maybe I will just wait a month for GW2.

Do they have any ties to UO? With the trait tier system, the weapon skill, the personality.. I see some similarities here. The whole system where if you don't do something about an invading horde of Centaurs dates back to a system UO tested but never implemented. Not killing enough deer in an area would bring in predators which would lead to a dragon or possibly an army of Lizard Men setting up shop and invading Trinsic. It was something we never got to see but I always thought would be really cool, and now is brought to life in GW2.

Also the dye system.. so simple but always left out. There is something to be said about rolling around in Guild Colors messing people up.

That buy order system gave me a stirring in my pants as well.. so many simple things that MMO developers have over looked or done wrong that GW2 seems to be doing right.

I am sold.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #50
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Found a great review of the game up on MMORPG.com..

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...d-Preview.html

Love this quote:

Quote:
Veteran MMO players who loved Player Killing in Ultima Online or RvR in Dark Age of Camelot cannot get their hands on this game fast enough. Guild Wars 2 blends these old styles with the new approach to an explorable game world and brings some amazing upgrades to the genre while paying homage to the classic hardcore style of the early games. It seems like World of Warcraft derailed the true focus of PvP from MMOs.
Amen.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #51
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So I pre ordered it, and just wanted everyone to know there is a stress test today starting at Noon pac I believe.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #52
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a specific server you guys were planning to play on? The official server list went up today:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/i...-guild-wars-2/

From my understanding they're all hosted in Houston, TX, so it shouldn't really matter which server is selected latency wise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #53
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to it.

Still don't know which profession I'm going to play. I wanted to play a Thief, but they severely disappointed me in beta.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #54
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'll be making a Necro first. Probably Charr or Asura.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #55
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

The key is to pick the server with the dumbest name, people flock to servers named SkullCrusher etc.

From that list I like
Ehmry Bay or
Yak’s Bend

I would stay away from Gate of Madness, lol.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #56
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm most likely going to go with an Elementalist Charr to start.

Should be interesting as i'm going into this game pretty blind. Gonna be a lot of "what the f*** is going on" to start lol.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #57
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
I'm most likely going to go with an Elementalist Charr to start.

Should be interesting as i'm going into this game pretty blind. Gonna be a lot of "what the f*** is going on" to start lol.
I think that's part of the fun of new MMOs. You get that noobish innocence for the first while.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #58
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Someone should volunteer to lead a CPuck guild
Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #59
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

I was thinking a Guardian Asura. Either way, definitely an Asura. Their animations are just too good.

Everyone should post their preferred server so we can all get on the same one.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #60
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I have no server preference besides one that isn't crap packed and I have to wait in line for.