Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #481
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
If you get rid of the anthem(s) what would replace it?

At most Flames games when the anthem is being sung the concourse is still full of people making their way to their seat. You would have to find some other time killer to replace it.

I say keep the anthems. That pre game fascist rally gets me into game mode.
A couple more 'Beer Guys' and the Puck Drop.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #482
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Who thought the anthem singer would create such a deep divide amongst fans? Feels like there's this huge chasm between fans who like Canyon and hate him. Some people want him to disappear into the abyss, while others like him or would prefer to just abolish the anthems altogether. I don't think someone as trivial as the anthem should cause a rift like this.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #483
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Who thought the anthem singer would create such a deep divide amongst fans? Feels like there's this huge chasm between fans who like Canyon and hate him. Some people want him to disappear into the abyss, while others like him or would prefer to just abolish the anthems altogether. I don't think someone as trivial as the anthem should cause a rift like this.
I'm relatively indifferent. I think Canyon sings the anthem as it should be sung, but I'd just rather not have the anthem at all.

I'm not in Junior High anymore, I dont have to stand at my desk and sing the anthem.

Thats like something Orwell would write.

Stand and recite your lines for 'Mandatory National Pride Moment!'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #484
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I'm not even sure how the anthems are relevant to the NHL. There's no real national pride at stake (aside from the casual "A Canadian team hasnt won a cup in XX years!") and the two anthems that have the potential to be sung might include the location of each team playing, but probably aren't relevant to 30% of players on any given team.

I don't have a particular problem with the anthems, if they stay forever I won't lose sleep over it, but I've never seen a compelling argument on why we should continue to sing them before games.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #485
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm relatively indifferent. I think Canyon sings the anthem as it should be sung, but I'd just rather not have the anthem at all.

I'm not in Junior High anymore, I dont have to stand at my desk and sing the anthem.

Thats like something Orwell would write.

Stand and recite your lines for 'Mandatory National Pride Moment!'
Anthems in schools are a weird thing. I think you're around my age, and it seems like there's lots of people that sang the anthem all the time, and yet through three levels and 13 years of school in Calgary I don't recall daily anthems ever being a thing.

Was it just a decision by each individual school and I happened to go to three that didn't do it? Anyone else never sing anthems in public school?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #486
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
I don't see what's confusing about that. Giant flags, people obediantly chanting. It's pure fascism. I don't bother to stand anymore.
You are obviously not aware that patriotic displays such as supporting/honouring a flag predates fascism by millennia, and singing an anthem by four centuries.

It is possible to promote the idea of ditching anthems before games without looking like a god damned idiot, you know.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #487
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

The compelling reason to continue the anthems, for me, is that it's part of the show, and always has been. It has always meant the game is about to start, time to get excited, et cetera.

I don't even sing, and I certainly don't get a rush of patriotic fervour, but it would be weird without it because it's a traditional element of the whole spectacle.

The anthems were a big deal in 2004. Maybe not so much now with Boring George in the regular season, but definitely they play a role in the playoffs.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #488
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

George is a legend
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #489
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'm not even sure how the anthems are relevant to the NHL. There's no real national pride at stake (aside from the casual "A Canadian team hasnt won a cup in XX years!") and the two anthems that have the potential to be sung might include the location of each team playing, but probably aren't relevant to 30% of players on any given team.

I don't have a particular problem with the anthems, if they stay forever I won't lose sleep over it, but I've never seen a compelling argument on why we should continue to sing them before games.
The idea of singing the national anthem during or before a game came about during the World Series in 1918. Chicago and Boston discovered that the display of patriotism during the war both engaged the fans and brought more to the games. It stuck, spread to other sports, and has subsequently become a tradition with nearly a century's worth of weight behind it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #490
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think George has a bad voice, I just hate the fake country twang. If he sung it straight, and found a more appropriate musical accompaniment (because country + synth is just plain odd), he'd be just fine.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #491
Knut

Exp:

I also like that we do the American Anthem for American teams. A sign of respect among friends and neighbors. OR facism.. either or
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #492
flamesgirl18
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Coming from someone who grew up immersed in music and has been singing all my life, I thought last night's anthems were horrible. She sang the wrong notes on the American anthem (on "Dawn's Early Light" "Flag Was Still There") which bothered me a lot - either she doesn't know the right notes or she's trying to change it and make it her own which I don't think is necessary for an anthem - just sing it and be done. But I was almost more bothered by how slow she sings, I thought it drained a lot of energy from the crowd. Everyone beside me made comments that it was agonizingly slow and it was hard to sing along. I agree that George would be a lot better without the organ accompanying, maybe the Flames should give that a try....
flamesgirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #493
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Anthems in schools are a weird thing. I think you're around my age, and it seems like there's lots of people that sang the anthem all the time, and yet through three levels and 13 years of school in Calgary I don't recall daily anthems ever being a thing.

Was it just a decision by each individual school and I happened to go to three that didn't do it? Anyone else never sing anthems in public school?
Maybe you're a jehovah's witness and no one ever told you?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #494
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yup, we never did daily anthems (12 years of Calgary public schools from 1979-1991). The only time we ever sang the anthem was before school assemblies.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #495
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see what's confusing about that. Giant flags, people obediantly chanting. It's pure fascism. I don't bother to stand anymore.
Right. And like all fascist states, they haul you away to a concentration camp if you don't do as you're told, amirite?
Old 03-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #496
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You are obviously not aware that patriotic displays such as supporting/honouring a flag predates fascism by millennia, and singing an anthem by four centuries.

It is possible to promote the idea of ditching anthems before games without looking like a god damned idiot, you know.
Do a Google image search if a fascist rally, it looks remarkably similar to the Dome during the anthems. There's a difference between "honouring the flag" and making a huge spectacle if it.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #497
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Do a Google image search if a fascist rally, it looks remarkably similar to the Dome during the anthems. There's a difference between "honouring the flag" and making a huge spectacle if it.
You know what, your a fricken idiot.
Flame me if you want, but you have no clue of which you speak.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #498
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

lol, he's doubling down on the fascist rally thing. I thought it was just a passive comment out of annoyance for anthems.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #499
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it depended on your Principal.

I vaguely recall that we never did it, then got a new Principal and then had to do it every day.

I hated it, because people always love the things they're forced to do.

"Locke! You have to stand and sing the anthem every day so that you love Canada!"

No. I dont. And thats why I love Canada.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #500
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol, he's doubling down on the fascist rally thing. I thought it was just a passive comment out of annoyance for anthems.
As someone who has attended a few Fascist rallies I have to tell you, this isnt how they typically go down. This is pure amateur hour.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: