Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #41
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Since you used a Breakfast Club gif it’s fitting to say... answer the question, Claire.
I'm the facilitator of the gay straight alliance at my school for 4 of the last 7 years. I've marched in the pride parade as an ally for the last 10 years. I'm not gonna dignify MelBridgeman by conversing with him any longer. He's either a troll or a moron. Well, he's both if you ask me.
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #42
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I'm the facilitator of the gay straight alliance at my school for 4 of the last 7 years. I've marched in the pride parade as an ally for the last 10 years. I'm not gonna dignify MelBridgeman by conversing with him any longer. He's either a troll or a moron. Well, he's both if you ask me.
So why are you enraged by the white boys and not the homophobes?

ps: i have a black friend
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #43
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Not a war veteran , pepis own snopes link even proves that.

such a weirdo
Yeah!! Slacker was ONLY a US Marine. He's not fit to be called an American.

Dude, you're losing the plot. Step back from the keyboard for a while.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #44
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so you’re a supporter of LGBT rights but haven’t made a single comment against the BHI calling people the F word while you continue railing constantly against a bunch of kids who are slightly bigger ####heads than the average teen. I’m just curious why. I’m probably with you on 99% of your political views but your posts are tiresome in their obstinance.

For those who are complaining that we are discussing this situation maybe this should get its own thread, but I think it’s worthy of debate because it shows how different narratives colour the facts. I don’t think anybody involved in that event should escape criticism but it’s interesting to see who is the object of focus depending on the person posting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #45
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
So why are you enraged by the white boys and not the homophobes?

ps: i have a black friend
No you don't.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #46
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Yeah!! Slacker was ONLY a US Marine. He's not fit to be called an American.

Dude, you're losing the plot. Step back from the keyboard for a while.

He was a marine yes..sorry i forgot the word Vietnam.. either way i always equated veteran with someone who actually served in a conflict.

Never said anything about him not being fit to be called America? Elaborate please?

Not losing anything, quite the opposite, evidence speaks for it's self
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #47
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No you don't.
I have a few but I don't have any homophonic friends - i hope - those people are waaaaay worse than smirking white boy, you agree?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:16 PM   #48
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

This thread really took a dive into the dumpster. At this point I almost hope for the next ridiculous Trump mini-scandal to surface to get things back on track
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #49
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He was a marine yes..sorry i forgot the word Vietnam.. either way i always equated veteran with someone who actually served in a conflict.

Never said anything about him not being fit to be called America? Elaborate please?

Not losing anything, quite the opposite, evidence speaks for it's self
Not losing anything? Really?

I suggest you review your posting history in this thread. I'm not going to count them but there must be dozens of posts. There's a lot of name calling of other posters and a lot of anger and aggression.

At the very least you're losing perspective.

Seriously, take a break for the sake of your mental health. I'm concerned for you.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #50
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Not losing anything? Really?

I suggest you review your posting history in this thread. I'm not going to count them but there must be dozens of posts. There's a lot of name calling of other posters and a lot of anger and aggression.

At the very least you're losing perspective.

Seriously, take a break for the sake of your mental health. I'm concerned for you.
this isn't icecube
Old 01-23-2019, 10:44 PM   #51
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so you’re a supporter of LGBT rights but haven’t made a single comment against the BHI calling people the F word while you continue railing constantly against a bunch of kids who are slightly bigger ####heads than the average teen. I’m just curious why. I’m probably with you on 99% of your political views but your posts are tiresome in their obstinance.
I think you could safely assume that he doesn't agree them without being overly charitable. They're fringe and fanatics and don't really matter. The demand that icecube address that before speaking on anything else isn't being made in the interest of improving the discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to comrade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 10:47 PM   #52
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

For those who are complaining that we are discussing this situation maybe this should get its own thread, but I think it’s worthy of debate because it shows how different narratives colour the facts. I don’t think anybody involved in that event should escape criticism but it’s interesting to see who is the object of focus depending on the person posting.
I'm more focused on the racism because I've seen a giant leap forward in consciousness in the past ten years or so as far as cultural LGBTQ acceptance is concerned and we are only very recently seeing a stirring up of the same thing in regards to race relations issues. Events like these are waking us up and it's not being swept under the rug anymore.

Also I think it's pretty clear that some (*cough*MelBridgeman *cough*) are using the Black Israelites as an excuse for the boys behaviour or they are using them as a whataboutism to detract focus and steer the conversation away from the racism happening in the video. The Black Israelites are not the biggest part of the story as it's being discussed anywhere, not just on CP. Would you argue that the Black Israelites are the main story and the mainstream media goofed this one up? Probably not. They are crazy people and they are a footnote.

As a society we have only very recently began to talk about race relations issues openly on such a massive level. And as polarized as it seems right now, I honestly do think strides are being made and reasonable decent people are starting to see how pervasive and deep the roots of racism run.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:13 PM   #53
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Black Israelites aren’t the main story but they need to be part of it. Without their involvement this incident likely wouldn’t have happened. I don’t think they should be dismissed entirely just because they’re a “few crazies”. They’re racist as well as homophobic and this incident gives them fodder for their cause. I expect them to show up at more MAGA type events in hopes of riling up racial tension.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #54
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm more focused on the racism
The only racism in the video are the antisemitic insults from the Black Israelites

1960's was an entire decade dedicated to race relations and massive progress. racism still exists today on the extreme right and left the most. But lowering the bar doesn't help. (i.e. calling just a harmless encounter between two ethnicities racism LOL)

What the Black Israelites did was horrible - IT SHOULD BE THE STORY - and as it is now well documented the kids started their school chants to drown out the garbage coming out of their mouth. Good on them. Nathan Phillips by his won admission was there to stand with the Black Israelites. Again well documented.

Anyways cube - I wonder if you have actually listen to any of cube's music? Especially with NWA - that's pretty rich actually - you're SJW credentials should be stripped. sad!

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 01-23-2019 at 11:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 11:33 PM   #55
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only racism in the video are the antisemitic insults from the Black Israelites
Not sure which video you mean as there's multiple, but the clear mock "Indigenous chanting" done by other children was also racist. And there's no reason we can't criticize it.

I just can't wrap my head around those who are trying to condemn the actions of Mr. Sandmann, ruining his life and try to force an apology from him, when he stood there as some man came up to him and he smiled.

There was some students in the school who confronted the racist hate-group defending minorities and especially defending the LGBT community. There was some students in the school who were clearly ready to mock an Indigenous man by mock chanting back at him. There's also probably an overlap between those two groups. But it's a school full of teenagers. Like all schools, some of those teenagers are probably developing into despicable people, some of those students are amazing children. But to attribute all the negative stuff done by other students to Mr. Sandmann is simply bigoted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 11:41 PM   #56
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

1960's was an entire decade dedicated to race relations and massive progress. racism still exists today on the extreme right and left the most. But lowering the bar doesn't help. (i.e. calling just a harmless encounter between two ethnicities racism LOL)

What the Black Israelites did was horrible - IT SHOULD BE THE STORY - and as it is now well documented the kids started their school chants to drown out the garbage coming out of their mouth. Good on them. Nathan Phillips by his won admission was there to stand with the Black Israelites. Again well documented.

Anyways cube - I wonder if you have actually listen to any of cube's music? Especially with NWA - that's pretty rich actually - you're SJW credentials should be stripped. sad!
Old 01-23-2019, 11:42 PM   #57
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Not sure which video you mean as there's multiple, but the clear mock "Indigenous chanting" done by other children was also racist. And there's no reason we can't criticize it.
Criticize it all you want and I am going to criticize your opinion..was it insensitive: yes, was it stupid: yes. It's up to interpretation but I leave the racism tag to the real bad guys out there.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:43 PM   #58
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is all you can do is insult me? Care to have a discussion? Can't stand having your OPINIONS challenged?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:18 AM   #59
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's not offering an opinion. He's offering a world view where there exists a hierarchy of privilege.

edit: And conversely a hierarchy of victim-hood.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:20 AM   #60
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
He's not offering an opinion. He's offering a world view where there exists a hierarchy of privilege.
my bad..dogma is a better term?

reminiscent of the religious far right of the 80's/90's

(the people who got those parental advisory stickers on your NWA CD's cube!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread