Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2020, 03:20 PM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss Van Earl Wright.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #22
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The circumstances surrounding Mike's dismissal go much further than political correctness. But, my understanding is only based on hearsay.
The alleged story has been told on this forum before. My memory is hazy on the details, but he probably thought he was being funny and cool and came across as very inappropriate.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:26 AM   #23
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Was always a great show ... watched it as much as I could through the 80s.

Actually was on the show with Joe Sports in the early 2000s.

Did Lownsbrough's show once too, I think we recorded it at Schanks or something. Didn't seem to have a lot of promise at the time.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #24
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a kid (and before the days of YouTube) I would have consumed as much sports content as I could -- it wouldn't have mattered who the hosts were. But Sports at 11/11:30 was fun to watch, especially the Plays of the Week (Mondays?) and Sports Shorts bloopers (Fridays?).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #25
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #26
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Back in the old "3 channel + Access channel 13 on a good night" in the Cochrane basement in high school, this was must see TV.

Was it called "Sports Shorts?" when they did the blooper reel on Friday night? So much gold.

It was tough when they moved it from 11 - 11:30.

Recall the episode they did out of a hot-tub fondly. Figured they were going to get electrocuted.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #27
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
As a kid (and before the days of YouTube) I would have consumed as much sports content as I could -- it wouldn't have mattered who the hosts were. But Sports at 11/11:30 was fun to watch, especially the Plays of the Week (Mondays?) and Sports Shorts bloopers (Fridays?).
Nm

Last edited by browna; 11-18-2020 at 12:56 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #28
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember a Halloween show segment where Lownsborough was Ed Whelan and someone else (Toth?) was dressed up as The Grim Reaper, who'd be coming for Whelan "soon".

"Whelan" laughed it off and then said: "Let's check out these SPOOK-tacular highlights!"

Amazing Dad joke.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:32 PM   #29
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think some of the younger generation (I am 35) don't really get why this show was popular or why it was the way it was back than.

In 2020 you don't need TSN, Sportsnet or even TV in order to get your sports news, highlights and information. Everything is available for you in a million different formats and ways.

In the 90's, not everybody had cable, a lot of the Flames coverage wasn't on TV and if you wanted to keep up to date with sports, it was TV, radio, newspaper and magazine. End of story.

This was a fun show that had 2-4 guys giving the sports news, highlight and update on local and major pro sports in a fun (for most) kind of way. If we look at the coverage on TSN and Sportsnet now, it's 2 people giving a boring update on what happened for the entire country. Very little fun, very little local amature sports (if that's your thing) and very generic. I find myself watching the broadcasts less and less these days.

I even recall seeing a piece by Jermain Franklin from TSN who said something along the lines of "Year's ago, you aspired to be on the TSN desk as that was the big time gig, now it's kind of where a lot of people start"

Some things for Sports at 11 probably don't age well for some in 2020 , that's fine. I am not one of those people who judge something from 25 years ago and apply that standard to today.

Let's appreciate the show for what it was, 4 guys giving us the sports news, highlights and features in a light and funny format and covering the local scene as well.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know what year the show started?

Originally, if I would have guessed, I would have said the early 90s, but then I remembered they had the Cup on after the Flames won, so that obviously means it was on by 1989.

I also remember that prior to Sports @ 11, they had a weekly sports show on Saturday nights -- does anyone remember what that was called? I know that was around in 1984 because I remember Lownsbrough promising to eat his script if Canada did well in hockey at the Sarajevo Olympics and then having to wait at least a week after the Olympics ended to see if he'd follow through (he cheated by "mixing" the torn up pages into a salad and eating that -- isn't it weird the things you remember from your childhood?).

Speaking of the night they had the Cup on, I remember they had it sitting on the desk between Toth & Lownsbrough (I think) and they spent the whole episode, between highlights, looking at all the names and quirks on the Cup. That was the first time I found out that there are names engraved inside the bowl of the Cup. Also, I think they may have been the first media members to point out that Peter Pocklington's father's name had been X'ed out on the Cup.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #31
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember having to use that weird touchtone yellow pages thing to get the scores on some games.
Or watching "Sports Scope" (the original headline sports/the score) and just waiting for the scores to cycle through to the game I was interested in.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #32
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I remember having to use that weird touchtone yellow pages thing to get the scores on some games.
Or watching "Sports Scope" (the original headline sports/the score) and just waiting for the scores to cycle through to the game I was interested in.
Getting the paper the next morning to see if the Flames won and the score just says “late game” because it was not finished by the time it went to the press.
MrMike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #33
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Originally, if I would have guessed, I would have said the early 90s, but then I remembered they had the Cup on after the Flames won, so that obviously means it was on by 1989.

I also remember that prior to Sports @ 11, they had a weekly sports show on Saturday nights -- does anyone remember what that was called? I know that was around in 1984 because I remember Lownsbrough promising to eat his script if Canada did well in hockey at the Sarajevo Olympics and then having to wait at least a week after the Olympics ended to see if he'd follow through (he cheated by "mixing" the torn up pages into a salad and eating that -- isn't it weird the things you remember from your childhood?).

Speaking of the night they had the Cup on, I remember they had it sitting on the desk between Toth & Lownsbrough (I think) and they spent the whole episode, between highlights, looking at all the names and quirks on the Cup. That was the first time I found out that there are names engraved inside the bowl of the Cup. Also, I think they may have been the first media members to point out that Peter Pocklington's father's name had been X'ed out on the Cup.
There was definitely a Saturday night sports show in the mid 80s on CFAC. Ron MacLean hosted it at one point at the same time he hosted Flames hockey broadcasts.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:29 PM   #34
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just like that, I got my answer, straight from the horse's mouth... https://www.tothsportsinc.com/post/sports-at-11-take-2

Quote:
With such a talented broadcast team in place, and with Calgary coming off a hugely successful job of hosting the 1988 Winter Olympics, it was the perfect time to showcase the fantastic sports scene the city had to offer. So, in the fall of '88, 2 & 7 launched "Sports at 11", a nightly half-hour show that offered a unique combination of sports and entertainment.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:32 PM   #35
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Getting the paper the next morning to see if the Flames won and the score just says “late game” because it was not finished by the time it went to the press.
Getting the Tuesday paper with all the stats was awesome. Except the stats wouldnt include the Monday night games.

I could manually add up the goals and points every player had on Monday (wasn’t much as Mondays were slower nights in the NHL). But I’d have to pull out my calculator and do some math to figure out the goalies’ GAA and save percentages.

Fun times!
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #36
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I remember back when the 2 and 7 sports show on Saturdays was called "on sports" then it became Sports at 11 I believe around 1988 throughout the weeknights, then Sports at 1130 around the early 90s. When I think of Calgary sports on tv that was a golden time period to see local programming at that level.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #37
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

One great aspect of getting this show back would be the obvious gain of a post game show for Flames games.

Wouldn't be attached to the actual telecast, but they'd have their own reporter at the dome for interviews, analysis etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #38
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
I remember back when the 2 and 7 sports show on Saturdays was called "on sports"
Yes, that's it. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #39
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
One great aspect of getting this show back would be the obvious gain of a post game show for Flames games.

Wouldn't be attached to the actual telecast, but they'd have their own reporter at the dome for interviews, analysis etc.
I don't get the sense they're actually going to be doing a regular nightly show again. It sounds more like just a reunion/reminiscing type thing.

From Toth's blog post:
Quote:
Welcome to "Sports at 11…..Take 2".

Over the next few weeks, the old gang is getting back together for a series of on-line reunion shows. (Unfortunately, Ed passed away in 2001. But his influence on the "Sports at 11" crew will live on forever.) Believe it or not, this will be the first time that Pollock, Lownsbrough, Manz and Toth will be together as a group since that fateful farewell 23 years ago. With that in mind, it's going to be a pretty special experience and we'd love to have you share it with us.

So check out Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. in the days ahead for details on how you can jump aboard for "Sports at 11…..Take 2".

We can't promise you that we'll fire up the old hot tub. But we can promise you a lot of great laughs and a bunch of special memories.

See you soon!
Old 11-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #40
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

ah crap ... ok

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , sports at 11