Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #21
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I got a last minute invite to the afternoon session today. I suspect they now send out later invites if the first round didn't get sufficient interest. It was very entertaining and I would recommend the sessions if you ever get chance. Brad was not there due an 'emergency' with his dog.

Connie let it slip that the draft won't be early. John Bean said that's news to him as at the Board of Directions meeting, that he was part of last week, they couldn't come to an agreement. They joked about how Connie has let things out before and then he started back peddling after Bean started joking about 'breaking news'.

Connie said the Team had been planning for an early draft with 60 players still being considered. Said they are setting up 'virtual' interviews as no combine this year. I think he also said they were planning for a 16-18 pick in first round and that the discussions around the first round choice of player had been very heated. He really is a funny guy and I enjoy his sense of humour. Connie also shared stories about signing college players including how it all went down with #13.

They weren't really any other highlights. Just to confirm though he said that that would play Valimaki if the Doctors give the okay and would then protect him in the expansion draft. That would be a small price to pay if it gives the Team a better chance at winning and if it's the right thing for Valimaki
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blankcanvas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #22
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogers Place: 18,300 for hockey, designed by HOK/Dialog
T-Mobile Arena: 17,500 for hockey, designed by Populous

Little Caesars Arena: 19,500 for hockey, designed by HOK

Nationwide Arena: 18,500 for hockey, designed by HOK/NBBJ

Target Center: 17,500 for hockey, designed by KMR Architects

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #23
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

HOK/Dialog was the rumoured winner for Calgary, right?
Old 05-12-2020, 06:50 PM   #24
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
HOK/Dialog was the rumoured winner for Calgary, right?

That was the rumour, yes.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #25
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
I got the email yesterday from my rep:

Quote:
SEASON TICKET MEMBER UPDATE
JOIN FLAMES MANAGEMENT AND HOCKEY OPERATIONS

Dear Incogento
If any STH's want the link for Tomorrow's, DM me and I will share the registration Link.
I think it is somewhat peculiar that you asked the Flames rep to address you by your forum name, but to each their own.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #26
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went on the call with Conroy and Huska last Friday and have been invited to 3 this week but unfortunately could not attend.
Yesterday was Tkachuk and Bennett and noon and Treliving at 4 today is Ryan and Rittich at noon.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #27
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah finally got my invite for noon this afternoon. Will check it out.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #28
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I went on the call with Conroy and Huska last Friday and have been invited to 3 this week but unfortunately could not attend.
Yesterday was Tkachuk and Bennett and noon and Treliving at 4 today is Ryan and Rittich at noon.
Tree couldn't make it in the end and Conroy stepped in for him. Always fun to attend storytime with Connie.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #29
Remember1989
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Am I the only one who thinks it's unreasonable to give a 90 minutes head's up for these calls?
Remember1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #30
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember1989 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's unreasonable to give a 90 minutes head's up for these calls?
They're likely confirming/getting people lined up every day so they can't plan them too far ahead.

I like that there seem to be some almost every day - it's a cool way to stay connected to the team.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 12:53 PM   #31
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember1989 View Post
The couple I was invited to gave more then a couple hours notice. If they are doing last minute invites it is probably because they have room from people not registering.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #32
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Attended Cyr/Tkachuk/Bennett yesterday at noon, and the hour flew by. Chucky sure likes to talk.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #33
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving/Cyr/Bean on at lunch today. Awesome job by the Flames hosting multiple daily sessions.

Mostly covered the same topics. Had to take a phone call part way through when they were finishing up the season ticket holder part so missed about five minutes of Treliving talking about the deadline moves I think it was.

- Mentioned the same five buildings as cohorts, specifically Minneapolis. I wasn't sure if maybe the previous session was a slip-up or my ####ty hearing and he meant or said Minnesota (Wild) but no it's Minneapolis.
- Dustin Wolf is going back to junior next year even with contract recently signed.
- Calgary is on the side pushing for a post-playoffs draft. Like expanded flexibility for roster review and movement that having the draft after the season allows.
- Feels like they've never been this prepared for a draft before because of the volume of tape they've been able to watch. "There's nothing else to do" haha.
- Pick in the Lucic-Neal trade is still in the "to be determined" category. Calgary recommended using proration if season isn't finished.
- Huge emphasis on Lucic's off-ice and mental impact which fans don't see.
- If they use the hub model, home team of that rink will likely not play at that location to alleviate home-ice advantage concern.

- Email coming this afternoon on season ticket renewals. Basically not going to be charging for 2020-21 until a schedule is certain.
- Flames plan to roll back ticket prices for next season to 2019-20 rates.
- On remaining 8 games, option to get credit for next season or immediate refund. Flames will offer incentive to go with credit (gift card? interest applied?)

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 05-14-2020 at 01:00 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #34
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving and Bean again this afternoon. Great job by the Flames getting right back into it after the long weekend. Sounds like the alumni session at lunch was great though I didn't tune in.

- Plan to have a high-level building schematic by September. Mentioned a couple other target dates but missed what they were.
- Two weeks before the deadline didn't intend on adding any D depth but "significant" injury to Giordano, and injuries to Hamonic and Hanifin, plus a couple other D able to play but banged up, changed things.
- The league is "very committed" to completing the 2019-20 season. Absolutely need access to adequate testing without taking away from public testing.
- Logistics are difficult as need to quarantine bus drivers, hotel staff, food staff, etc. along with the teams. Not just players and staff isolated for 75-100 days to consider here.
- Playoffs will probably have more than 16 teams, but nothing finalized on number or format. Probably utilizing a few hubs but nothing finalized on how many or where.
- Lucic has proactively been spending an hour every day during this time with the Flames' Analytics Team breaking down numbers and tape on how he can improve. Incredible work ethic and self-driven.
- Treliving mentioned they consider their leadership team to be eight players. I was distracted so didn't catch the point clearly, but he included the names Tkachuk, Monahan, Lindholm, Backlund, Brodie, Giordano (not in that order) I think. Hopefully another attendee can verify or correct that but until then do not read into this at all as I didn't hear it all/clearly.
- Treliving asked about combine interviews. Said one question and answer that stuck with him was Tkachuk's interview where Treliving asked what his biggest hockey memory was. Tkachuks' biggest memory was Team USA losing to Team Russia in the semi-finals at the 2016 WJHC and falling short of gold. Most players answer with an individual or team accomplishment as theirs, while Tkachuk's was a Team's failure.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 05-19-2020 at 05:23 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #35
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If Brodie is part of the leadership core I hope that bodes well towards him being brought back.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #36
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I would assume he was part of the leadership group when they tried trading him last summer and this wasn't just something he took on after that. But who knows, maybe that scared him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #37
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving and Bean again this afternoon.

- Architect should be formally revealed soon but it's not a well kept secret who it is at this point.
- Of the five cohort buildings, Detroit's has impressed the most so far. Still plan on touring all five when permitted.
- Treliving recently watched the final 15 Flames games as a refresher on the team's play.
- Even with two hubs, intent is to avoid home team playing in the hub.
- Hubs could both be in same conference or division for instance.
- Don't think Canadian hub candidates are realistic with quarantine rules.
- Projecting qualifying round and playoffs to take 8-12 weeks - Cup and draft in October at earliest.
- While regular season was deemed complete, still no resolution on trades with conditions.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #38
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post

- Architect should be formally revealed soon but it's not a well kept secret who it is at this point.
- Of the five cohort buildings, Detroit's has impressed the most so far. Still plan on touring all five when permitted.
- Treliving recently watched the final 15 Flames games as a refresher on the team's play.
- Even with two hubs, intent is to avoid home team playing in the hub.
- Hubs could both be in same conference or division for instance.
- Don't think Canadian hub candidates are realistic with quarantine rules.
- Projecting qualifying round and playoffs to take 8-12 weeks - Cup and draft in October at earliest.
- While regular season was deemed complete, still no resolution on trades with conditions.

Cup and draft in Oct? Or UFA and draft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #39
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cup and draft, but probably all three.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #40
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post

I really hope the city and specifically the CMLC have a huge say in the exterior design/surrounding area given the large amount of public funds involved. I just do not trust a hockey team to do a good job with this or do what is best for the area.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post: