Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2022, 07:52 PM   #21
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I like the 3 downs myself, puts emphasis on making plays and moving the ball. I watch NFL as well and find a lot of times that clock management comes too much into play and the extra down is just wasted. There’s still big plays and games but can get a bit boring watching a whole regular season game.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #22
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Fire; 07-11-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:28 AM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I like the 3 downs myself, puts emphasis on making plays and moving the ball. I watch NFL as well and find a lot of times that clock management comes too much into play and the extra down is just wasted. There’s still big plays and games but can get a bit boring watching a whole regular season game.
Contrary when offenses struggle in the CFL it becomes a punt fest of quick possessions. A low scoring game in the NFL can be exciting but a low scoring game in the CFL is nearly always terrible. Last season was a perfect example as offenses struggled and a lot of games were unwatchable. The CFL is best when offenses are flying but right now there just aren't enough good QB's in the league.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #24
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CFL needs more teams, not more downs. The regular season is almost meaningless, particularly in the West as with the Crossover, only one team misses the playoffs.

But even that is a high risk strategy and would just spread the TV money even more thinly.

I don’t know what they can do, but when the premier team over the past 3 decades is playing in a stadium as grim as McMahon, something is wrong.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 05:47 PM   #25
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I like 3 because it encourages higher-risk plays. NFL with small gain running plays is boring to me
I don't really have an opinion on whether the CFL should go to 4 downs, but this is kind of an antiquated perception of the NFL. The league has definitely become more pass-happy over the last decade, with the average team passing on approximately 60% of their offensive plays and some teams passing on close to 70% of their plays.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #26
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm not a big football fan.

Consider myself a Stampeders fan. But in name only. I don't follow them.

That said, 3 downs is far better than 4. I much prefer the Canadian rules to the American. I'd often wonder how the NFL would be with the CFL rules.

To the topic at hand, expansion would do the league well. Expanding the fan base would likely increase viewership on TV. You'll be adding sports fans in new cities.

I'd imagine that some of the cities named above would support a CFL team. Halifax is dying for one. Heck Touchdown Atlantic (Toronto vs Saskatchewan) was just in Wolfville and filled Acadia's stadium.

Expand, but realize you aren't adding 80,000 seat stadiums.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote