Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #3001
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
I wouldn't package Markstrom in the Tkachuk deal. I think he will be worth at lot on his own. Many of the top contenders have a question mark in goal. Even the champs have questionable goaltending. You could argue on the state of goaltending for the Canes, Leafs, Bruins, Pens, Knights, Blues, Wild as well. Some of their choices will work out, several won't, and they will need a goalie to contend
Agree, but I don’t know if we see that many deals, even in the off-season. A few weeks ago Markstrom clearly wasn’t available which is why the Leafs went full gamble with their goaltending I’d think. His performance this playoffs was potentially the worst I’ve ever seen a goaltender do since 80s goaltending where they’d fall backwards. I have confidence he can rebound but that surely left a big black mark. Canes, Pens, Bruins, sure. The rest can’t see it.

Personally if I’m thinking rebuild I’d like to keep a guy like Markstrom and dmen like Tanev. You need some stability to not get blown out night after night and kill your confidence. While I’m not a huge Kylington fan, on a rebuilding team I think you also keep him to see what he’s got (sink or swim) as he can be part of the team at his young age. Others, I think you deal depending on the value you can get back. But I do t buy into rebuilding from scorched earth as you may take waaay longer to recover than anticipated, as we’re seeing with Arizona right now.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:19 PM   #3002
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Kyrou + Parayko + 1st, should be just for Tkachuk alone. People seem to keep forgetting, St Louis isn't the only place he said he would go.

If we are trading Hanafin, I'd trade him seperately and more for him later. It's a top pairing guy making less than $5M. That alone is worth more than pkging him and Tkachuk for the above return. Especially if he can be a TDL flip.

Big no thanks to Parayko. Not good. Not good.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:54 PM   #3003
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Dallas signs Will Butcher to a 1 year deal as per Weekes.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:28 PM   #3004
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
More than 2 teams involved? Upcoming 3-way?
Old 07-22-2022, 05:31 PM   #3005
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Dallas signs Will Butcher to a 1 year deal as per Weekes.
So they can trade Heskinen for Tkachuk
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 05:55 PM   #3006
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

To carry over from the other thread, Lindholm is a good player...really good player BUT his stats were inflated by playing with "the other 2" guys. He will still be good, just probably not as good because who he'll be playing with.

Now is 100% the best time to sell high on him. His salary is incredibly rewarding and if the Flames retained 50% of it most teams would be interested. If the are serious about building for the future, he should be traded because he won't look as good playing with Mangi and...Coleman?
Old 07-22-2022, 06:08 PM   #3007
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that calgary does a full tear down.. people need to get used to the idea of lindholm, Coleman and toffoli being around for a while.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:38 PM   #3008
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unless the manage to tread water with a Tkachuk trade (unlikely) the right move is to rebuild. Markstrom, Lindholm, Tkachuk, and Mangiapane will get a big haul. The Flames have good guys on D that are young enough to stick around for a rebuild. Guys like Tanev, Backlund, and Coleman are good veterans to have during a rebuild. Wolf, Pelletier, Mackey, Valimaki, and a few others are likely ready to graduate. Pick high for a two seasons and cash in the futures you get from your big trades and turn things around fast.

But the Flames almost certainly won't. They will trade Tkachuk for NHLers or lose him for nothing. They will hold onto Lindholm and watch his value tank. They will keep Markstrom until he has no value. They will sign Mangiapane to a regrettable contract because they are under pressure to do so.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 07:28 PM   #3009
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Unless the manage to tread water with a Tkachuk trade (unlikely) the right move is to rebuild. Markstrom, Lindholm, Tkachuk, and Mangiapane will get a big haul. The Flames have good guys on D that are young enough to stick around for a rebuild. Guys like Tanev, Backlund, and Coleman are good veterans to have during a rebuild. Wolf, Pelletier, Mackey, Valimaki, and a few others are likely ready to graduate. Pick high for a two seasons and cash in the futures you get from your big trades and turn things around fast.

But the Flames almost certainly won't. They will trade Tkachuk for NHLers or lose him for nothing. They will hold onto Lindholm and watch his value tank. They will keep Markstrom until he has no value. They will sign Mangiapane to a regrettable contract because they are under pressure to do so.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:35 PM   #3010
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
When I see this, it's hard not to think of Robert Dunder as the seasoned Flames fan and Michael Scott as the younger optimistic Flames fan.

...which I suppose was the point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I don't think that calgary does a full tear down.. people need to get used to the idea of lindholm, Coleman and toffoli being around for a while.
Two of those three only have two years left on their deals.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-22-2022 at 07:44 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #3011
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Completely sucks to lose 13 and 19, but those 3 are really good players.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #3012
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Coleman is not a top line player. He's not even a top 6 player. Last year he was an average 3rd line player. If we're counting on Coleman and Toffoli we're screwed.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 08:31 PM   #3013
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Coleman might've scored like a third-liner last year but I think there's big reason to believe he's going to explode offensively this season. Could see 25 goals/50 points. He's scored at that pace before, and he was a volume shooting machine last year.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 08:33 PM   #3014
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Coleman is not a top line player. He's not even a top 6 player. Last year he was an average 3rd line player. If we're counting on Coleman and Toffoli we're screwed.
We are counting on them. Toffoli is currently out 1st line winger and PP#1

Coleman probably promoted to top 6
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:43 PM   #3015
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Top 6 in 5 on 5 ice time in Tampa for a cup run...not good enough for the Flames
Old 07-22-2022, 08:47 PM   #3016
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
More than 2 teams involved? Upcoming 3-way?
To me that quote means in addition to Tkachuk being on the market, Dallas also has some premium players they are willing to trade, not necessarily trading them for Tkachuk.

Imagine having to trade Robertson because you are stuck with Seguin and Benns contracts. Woof.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:55 PM   #3017
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
To me that quote means in addition to Tkachuk being on the market, Dallas also has some premium players they are willing to trade, not necessarily trading them for Tkachuk.

Imagine having to trade Robertson because you are stuck with Seguin and Benns contracts. Woof.
There was always a fear that Gaudreau and Tkachuk would become the new Seguin and Benn

Benn won a scoring title ffs
Old 07-22-2022, 09:00 PM   #3018
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Coleman might've scored like a third-liner last year but I think there's big reason to believe he's going to explode offensively this season. Could see 25 goals/50 points. He's scored at that pace before, and he was a volume shooting machine last year.
Maybe because he mostly played 3rd line 🤷#♂️
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:04 PM   #3019
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Top 6 in 5 on 5 ice time in Tampa for a cup run...not good enough for the Flames
33pts in 81 games.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:39 PM   #3020
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Big no thanks to Parayko. Not good. Not good.

Lol, I don't want Parayko. Was responding to someone who thought that should be the return for Hanafin + Tkachuk.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote