Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #641
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adekugbe and Trafford (Charlie) should be dominating this midfield but they’ve been way too sloppy and have handed Edmonton a goal and a second off the crossbar

Camargo, Fisk, and Pepple look strong going forward, especially as the half wore on
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #642
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just giving the crowd what they want...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2022, 09:01 PM   #643
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### Edmonton forever and for always.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:20 PM   #644
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Record crowd for a home league match at Spruce Meadows. Heard 5200 today but don't have the final number. Thought Cavalry were far from perfect tonight but Edmonton just simply isn't a good team and Vaikla kept them in the game IMO.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:28 PM   #645
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Definitely packed. Went from having no one near us all season to suddenly being helmed in on all directions. Good atmosphere.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2022, 09:30 PM   #646
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Record crowd for a home league match at Spruce Meadows. Heard 5200 today but don't have the final number. Thought Cavalry were far from perfect tonight but Edmonton just simply isn't a good team and Vaikla kept them in the game IMO.
The weirdest part is that must have been a lot of walk up and late ticket buyers. I checked mid week and there were a solid 2k+ seats available on ticketmaster.

Great to see.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:35 PM   #647
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2022 Cavalry FC and CPL Thread

This was the screenshot of the Ticketmaster page about 30min into the first half. Surprised that the highest price point tickets appeared to be sold, perhaps some giveaways? I noticed a lot of social media posts by local “influencers” and radio personalities which appeared to be in those sections. Still a great turn out!

I was saying to my friend that it looked to be the fullest I’ve seen the pace since the Montreal Impact game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #648
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

4743 was the number reported in the Herald. Saw a lot of new faces in the supporters section, a few of which likely did not realize what section they bought tickets in and were in for a surprise.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 08:48 AM   #649
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really reinforces how weather-dependant attendance is in this league, and it makes sense. The hardcores will be out no matter what, but the casual fans want a nice day before they commit to bringing the rest of the family.

And were a bunch of the expensive tickets given away to media, influencers, etc? I'd bet on it, and I think that's a smart and necessary marketing move. It was a great opportunity to showcase the club and the venue to others, and that's how you grow the brand.

But that shouldn't take away from the great attendance - there were a tonne of regular folk who showed up, and I think that the match delivered. It wasn't a classic and Cavalry weren't necessarily at their best, but nobody is going to go home disappointed with a 3-1 win against Edmonton on a beautiful day.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:13 AM   #650
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m sad I missed this match in person (first time in ages) because I’m travelling, but I watched it this morning on One Soccer. Spruce Meadows was buzzing, you love to see it. The broadcast must have its mic’s close to the supporters section because it sounds like an MLS game there’s so much chanting and noise during the full 90 mins.

Also, Pepple - what a player.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:17 AM   #651
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the media getting on board is just due to the club giving tickets away, there is some genuine excitement from sports media around town.

The producer of the morning show on Sportsnet 960 is in the ultras. One of the Global sports anchors is in the Foot Soldiers and I have met others at games. Pinder has been involved with Tommy going back to the Foothills days and he's now getting Boomer and Warrener in on the action. Same with Danny Austin at the Sun.

I'd argue that all those partnerships with youth clubs were what got attendance up yesterday. Felt like there were lots of kids in the stands with their club jerseys on. And that's awesome to see, those kids will carry the supporters groups in 10 years...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 09:23 AM   #652
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

July 14th is just too far away. That was heaps of fun as ever.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 10:55 AM   #653
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Just watched the highlights. That og was comical really. Very good goal by Bitar though. Looked better on screen than it did in person.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #654
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

We had Bitar a few seasons ago. Would have looked nice doing that in a Cavs jersey.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 08:16 PM   #655
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
4743 was the number reported in the Herald. Saw a lot of new faces in the supporters section, a few of which likely did not realize what section they bought tickets in and were in for a surprise.

Now everybody does it, but I do dislike bsing on attendance...
First this from the game day story in the Sun "About 5,000 tickets have been sold already for the contest, making for the expectation of one of the largest attended games to see the Cavs."

Then the attendance mentioned above (less than 'what was sold' the day before), plus the TM map showing a bunch of tickets still available in the main stand that seats around 4k. I am venting a bit about most if not all sports teams doing this, (looking at you Okotoks Dawgs, and of course CESC)
Really happy that the crowd was great, and got the proper result. I hope this is a long term trend for the club.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:58 AM   #656
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t know if anyone saw this, it appears that Mo Farsi cracked the big club roster in Columbus. First game he was a 90th minute sub, but most recently he was a second half sub and 22min of playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2022, 08:02 PM   #657
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forge lose 1-0 to Valour tonight. With that, the Foot Soldiers have raised more money for Prideraiser than Barton St Battalion ($2392 to $2272) with tomorrow night's Cavalry game still to play.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 06:46 AM   #658
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Forge lose 1-0 to Valour tonight. With that, the Foot Soldiers have raised more money for Prideraiser than Barton St Battalion ($2392 to $2272) with tomorrow night's Cavalry game still to play.
#FtF
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:36 PM   #659
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t see anything Norman did to deserve a yellow card, let alone a red card. Did I miss something?

Escalante’s delivery is so sweet. Hopefully the Cavs have a big second half and get a result! Hearing lots of Cavalry chants on the broadcast, must be a decent travel group!
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:41 PM   #660
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Norman got a red for getting pushed and not reacting. That’s a terrible call unless something else happened off camera. Should have been a yellow for Aparicio and that’s it.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good