Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-06-2022, 02:06 PM   #61
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit of a story as to how this happened, but I was fortunate enough to go to Tottenham today! The atmosphere in the stadium was excellent and that was before the match. It was a good game, and Spurs were quite good aside from a bit of a shaky start. Kulusevski might be my favourite player at this point. When he rinsed that defender in the second half, it was just an amazing piece of footwork.

I do wonder about Southampton. I know that Hassenhutl will get things straightened out, but at the same time that’s a poor looking squad with a few players gone from last season.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 02:12 PM   #62
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Bit of a story as to how this happened, but I was fortunate enough to go to Tottenham today! The atmosphere in the stadium was excellent and that was before the match. It was a good game, and Spurs were quite good aside from a bit of a shaky start. Kulusevski might be my favourite player at this point. When he rinsed that defender in the second half, it was just an amazing piece of footwork.

I do wonder about Southampton. I know that Hassenhutl will get things straightened out, but at the same time that’s a poor looking squad with a few players gone from last season.

Glad you had a good time! Enjoy London!
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #63
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Glad you had a good time! Enjoy London!
I might have been up near you yesterday, going solely by your username! London is amazing, as usual. It’s just a fantastic city.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:22 PM   #64
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Thought better of my reaction to being accused of cheering on a rapist and just put you on an ignore list.
Lol wow, in not recognizing sarcasm met with sarcasm.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:53 PM   #65
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I read some of her posts and it’s just unbelievable that the media has ignored this completely. I can understand them talking about privacy and such, but at the same time his name is out there and the allegations are not inconsequential. I have no idea how the media can continue to avoid it as a topic.

And to have a professional club play him and just carry on as though nothing has happened is despicable. With fans making those kinds of chants, it’s even worse. How do the other guys feel in the room? I wouldn’t want anything to do with that guy.

As you say, sports in general needs to have some kind of reckoning.
Media literally cant report on his name

It's against the law to name him right now, libel laws are incredibly strict in UK
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:21 AM   #66
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I might have been up near you yesterday, going solely by your username! London is amazing, as usual. It’s just a fantastic city.

I doubt it. I’m on vacation in Kefalonia, but seriously, if you’re ever in London again, and you fancy a pint, let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 01:29 AM   #67
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

It's against the law to name him right now, libel laws are incredibly strict in UK

That is true, and it is ridiculous. I don’t even know if I can post anything about the individual. Even though right now, I’m in Greece. Whilst the odds of me getting in any sort of trouble are minuscule, it would impact on my employment.

This is despite his name being common knowledge. I’d hate to be a commentator on games he appears in because it would be so easy to slip up, and presto!, your career is done.

Do publications in Canada report his name?
Old 08-07-2022, 02:42 AM   #68
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

Can they not ask questions about it at all? For example, could they ask the club anything or ask him anything to do with the rumours online, or is that strictly prohibited? It just seems crazy to have these allegations flying around and literally nothing is said. It’s likely going to get very uncomfortable for the club and the league though. There were some chants at the Palace match and even before the game in the stadium bars at Spurs. There was also a plane with a banner over Selhurst, but likely that wasn’t shown on TV. You have to think that kind of thing will get too large to ignore, but who knows.

These are just actual questions btw, as I don’t have knowledge of the libel laws (or much else to do with this).
Old 08-07-2022, 05:37 AM   #69
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d prefer it if the Club didn’t make him available to the Manager. But even then, what are the legal impacts?

The law is wrong and provides protection to those that can afford to misuse it - protection that isn’t even available to the victims.

The farce around this is immense, but I’m not confident that it is going to lead to a sensible change. Too many powerful people, including laughably, those that have never set foot in the UK are able to use and abuse UK libel laws to shut up their victims.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 07:49 AM   #70
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

United stink and all, but Potter is such a tremendous manager. Really hope a club snaps him up before England do, England would be terrifying with him as manager.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #71
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m shocked that United are struggling to start another season when you have Fred and McTominay as first choice midfielders.

How they’ve went so long with those two is mind blowing for a club with such ambitions and money.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 01:05 PM   #72
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was disappointed with Liverpool's first match.

But it could have been worse...

And screw you Slava! I might have to take a page out of your book and try for next season's Liverpool Home Opener.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #73
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

here I thought this day could not get worse from United's perspective, but they're apparently bidding for Marko frigging Arnautovic. FML.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:13 PM   #74
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
here I thought this day could not get worse from United's perspective, but they're apparently bidding for Marko frigging Arnautovic. FML.
Ah! Fret not! They are also trying to sign the Captain of Deep Space 9 Benjamin Sisko!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-07-2022, 02:23 PM   #75
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ah! Fret not! They are also trying to sign the Captain of Deep Space 9 Benjamin Sisko!
in all seriousness though, I've seen a lot of Sesko in Salzburg here. Great talent, but it'd be too early for him. He needs another year of development and I hope he and his camp see that too. Easy to lose your head when so many big clubs are after you (PSG, Chelsea and Leipzig too), but he'd absolutely be overwhelmed if he made a switch like that right now.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:38 PM   #76
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
in all seriousness though, I've seen a lot of Sesko in Salzburg here. Great talent, but it'd be too early for him. He needs another year of development and I hope he and his camp see that too. Easy to lose your head when so many big clubs are after you (PSG, Chelsea and Leipzig too), but he'd absolutely be overwhelmed if he made a switch like that right now.
Well, and if you're 19 do you want to go and play for Manchester United right now?

I mean its fun to slag United just for kicks, but take the partisanship out of it and look objectively and that team is a mess.

Ronaldo doesnt want to be there, Maguire is lost, they've got some good pieces on their back line...they've got an okay midfield with Bruno (who I'm not a huge fan of) and Erikssen, but he's getting a little long in the tooth but can still pull midfield strings.

If you're an in-demand 19 year old player there are probably more desirable landing spots.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #77
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
they've got an okay midfield
no ... they really don't. Eriksen is a fine player and Bruno has had his moments during his United career, but the problem is behind them. Still having to start McFred is criminal. Is there a worse midfield pairing in the league? I honestly struggle to think of one.

and #### Ronaldo. Not going on pre-season tour, spending the whole summer pouting, leaving the stadium during a pre-season game early after being subbed off at half time. Way to undermine the new manager and show you think you're way bigger than the club. And the worst thing is it's all for naught. There is obviously no CL club out there willing to take him, his wages and his ego on, so about you drop the act and go to work? It's tiresome, really.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:59 PM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
no ... they really don't. Eriksen is a fine player and Bruno has had his moments during his United career, but the problem is behind them. Still having to start McFred is criminal. Is there a worse midfield pairing in the league? I honestly struggle to think of one.

and #### Ronaldo. Not going on pre-season tour, spending the whole summer pouting, leaving the stadium during a pre-season game early after being subbed off at half time. Way to undermine the new manager and show you think you're way bigger than the club. And the worst thing is it's all for naught. There is obviously no CL club out there willing to take him, his wages and his ego on, so about you drop the act and go to work? It's tiresome, really.
Its actually self-defeating.

He's causing this himself. Nobody wants that ego or problem on their team for £500K/week.

And I forgot about McFred. Thats gonna be grim.

But surprise, surprise, nobody wanted United's castoffs for money this window and the money that Ten Hag had to spend didnt really get it done.

Even if FdJ gets done at some point, its not going to be enough.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:42 PM   #79
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of understand where Ronaldo is coming from.
At this stage in his career, he doesn't want to waste time on a mediocre team, why would he?

He's not going about it well, but they should be selling him and avoiding all of this drama. There's really no good for either side to keep him at United.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:47 PM   #80
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I kind of understand where Ronaldo is coming from.
At this stage in his career, he doesn't want to waste time on a mediocre team, why would he?

He's not going about it well, but they should be selling him and avoiding all of this drama. There's really no good for either side to keep him at United.
to whom? I don't disagree with you, I'd happily sell him tomorrow to end the drama. But there's no suitors. He and his agent have basically offered him around Europe and there's no takers. Therein lies the problem ... it'd be different if he had actually clubs lining up for his services, but that's just not the case.