Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #961
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWilco View Post
I think we need to protect the 3 down, the feild size, and number of players on the field. Otherwise the CFL just just a crappy farm league for the NFL.
Yeah, moving to four downs would be a big ask for Canadian traditionalists but I've always thought 25 yard end zones were idiotic and would we really miss ten yards pulled out at center field? Field width, 11 players and goal post locations are the big ones to sort out. Truth is, if we have to go completely to the US game to keep a pro league in Canada we should do it. I've thought for a while the CFL would become like a house league for the NFL. Guys that aren't good enough to be on an NFL 53 man roster but shouldn't be at home smoking dope and eating Doritos while they are still young and great athletes.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #962
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Even worse than NFL fans over CFl fans is that the younger demographics are increasingly not into sports at all. That's immediately deadly for fringe leagues like the CFL but we're likely a decade or two away from what we thought were iron clad sports leagues (NFL/NBA/MLB) starting to die off as well.
This could be a whole discussion in a separate thread itself, but I wonder if it's moreso because of the decline of cable that these numbers are the case? Is interest in sports in general dying with younger generation, or is it mostly access/costs that are differing people from watching these games (under tracking methods), but still having a casual interest in the sport itself?

I have no idea, but I feel like the 18-35 population at least is still very in tune to big sporting events based of of social media, but are cord cutters, so aren't subscribing to these channels to watch them. But for rec leagues, are there still a lot of people playing slo-pitch, basketball, soccer and such for fun?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #963
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see how changing to four downs is going to bring in younger viewers. Are kids staying away because there’s too much passing? Too much punting? No, they’re staying away because football is lagging behind other sports and isn’t doing enough at the grassroots and amateur levels to grow the game. Safety and concussions have something to do with that, but as a kid, football is football IMO.

XFL brings star power and US exposure. CFL brings an existing fan base that needs to grow the game for a newer demographic. Once fans are back in the stands, I’m excited to see what they can come up with.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 08:03 PM   #964
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

The idea that moving to American football will somehow attract the younger fans is rather short sighted. They don't like American football over Canadian, they like the NFL. Especially the fantasy aspect. Changing the CFL to an American game will IMO not grow the game.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zarrell For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #965
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

More NFL like rules will get you better players IMO
Old 03-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #966
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I firmly believe that while this move is a few years down the road, the idea will be to merge to a spring league, go the American rules, and then because he's got the power, go to the NFL and push for a feeder league agreement.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #967
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
How so? If you're someone who wants to crack the NFL, your current options are to play in the CFL, or not play at all. Unless and until one of these other leagues start poaching CFL players, I don't buy the fact that there are good players just sitting around, choosing not to play because they don't like the CFL's rules. I would bet the top two reasons someone wouldn't play in the CFL is (i) because they don't want to come to Canada, and (ii) they don't want to play for peanuts in what they might view as an inferior league. I don't think changing the rules will have a significant impact in either case.

Also, with the reliance on the passing game I'd say the NFL game looks more like the CFL game more than it ever has. We've also seen more CFL players get opportunities in the NFL than ever before.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #968
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I prefer a lower level of talent for a more exciting game that’s Canadian with Canadian rules. The NFL has better players but our game is far more entertaining, in my opinion.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #969
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Hopefully CFL stays 3 downs - USports should remain 3 downs whatever happens with the CFL.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #970
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I firmly believe that while this move is a few years down the road, the idea will be to merge to a spring league, go the American rules, and then because he's got the power, go to the NFL and push for a feeder league agreement.
This is my feeling as well. This will lead to considerably better talent and better football overall.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 12:42 PM   #971
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feeder league?

I hope that is different than a "farm team".

The last thing you want is to have the NFL calling up your teams best players whenever the heck they feel like it.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 12:55 PM   #972
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Feeder league?

The last thing you want is to have the NFL calling up your teams best players whenever the heck they feel like it.

I would almost expect by feeder that the CFL would act like a developmental league where you send your more later round draft picks and promising players for a year by year contract.

If you leave the field wide it could be a place to better develop QB's, under my tutelage of course(shameless plug)

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #973
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Feeder league?

Promotion and Relegation! The Stamps become the first Canadian team to win the Superbowl!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #974
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everyone holding onto the CFL’s old ways and announcing they’d quit watching if the rules are altered need to give their head a shake. The CFL fan base are dwindling and they aren’t getting the younger demographics. The league need to do something to make the game more appealing to the younger generation because Status Quo is running the league into the ground

Despite lasting 1 season, the XFL has momentum and are willing to change things to make the game more exciting with better flow. Their restructure of conversion points is huge in how teams calculate leads and evaluate risk/reward scenarios. I’m glad they went in that direction since the 1 point conversion is a boring formality
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #975
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon35

Quote:
Feeder league?

If you stagger the leagues you don't run into any issues. CFL/XFL in the spring/summer and NFL in the fall/winter. Worst case scenario is you have some minor overall with the beginning of the NFL season where you can establish some rules against pulling players from playoff teams.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 03:18 PM   #976
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
The idea that moving to American football will somehow attract the younger fans is rather short sighted.
I don't think anyone is saying that.

What people are saying is this: joining forces with a company that has deep pockets, and boasts one of the most successful people in the history of the entertainment industry... could bode well for the CFL's efforts to grow its fan base, especially among younger fans. The marketing opportunities here are far beyond anything the league has had access to in the past.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #977
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I respectfully disagree.
You think Sask and Winnipeg or Hamilton fans are going to go away? Don't think so. You might attract more fans in Calgary, BC, Toronto etc.

Right now the "core fan base" is an older generation, and no offence if the trade off is getting the next generation interested in the CFL while losing the current older group than the CFL should take it.

On a bigger field, can you imagine Bo having 4 downs to get 10 yards? Stamps offence would be unstoppable.

I'm a Stamps fan either way. For me the bigger issue would be US teams not having to play Canadian nationals. Thats a big disadvantage.
I have had Stamps seasons for over 20 years, so Ill give anything a try if there is still a Calgary Stampeder team. I can just see this turning into a league where the NFL can just take anyone from your roster at any time. Having NFL rules would mean we are a crappy version of the same thing they have down south. Like I said, Ill give anything a try. If it is enjoyable and I can stay passionate about the stampeders ill stick around. I just don't see how I could remain passionate about a team or league that has a roster that is at the discretionary use of a NFL team.

Maybe the plans that they can form can help keep some meaning to the CFL in a way that winning the grey Cup can actually still mean something.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #978
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Some of us just don't believe the problems with the CFL are the 3 down game and the different rules. Making it an inferior version of the NFL to revitalize interest ignores that the reasons the NFL is successful have very little to do with the 4 down game and their rules, and much more to do with vastly larger broadcast markets, a pervasive culture of high school and college football, and the rise of fantasy leagues.

It's like claiming the European hockey leagues would suddenly gain mass popularity if they adopted NHL size ice and rules. That's not the way it works, the mechanics of a game have only a marginal effect on how many fans you have, else the same sports would dominate every part of the globe. It is much more a question of tradition, and pride, and the opportunity for local kids to eventually turn into stars in that sport.

If, somehow, they can find a way to merge with the XFL but retain tradition, they'll have a far better chance of reversing the decline. Make it into NFL-lite and it will die all the faster.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #979
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not much of a football fan but I can atleast sit and occasionally watch a CFL game both live and on TV. I've never been able to watch an NFL game. The pace is way too slow and I hate how teams will just kill the clock if the other team runs out of timeouts.

If the CFL merges with the XFL I really hope they don't change the rules or atleast the main rules.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:03 PM   #980
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess though is it really that likely that the CFL rules won't change? CFL got the history and the structure, but XFL got the money. And the reason the CFL is doing this is essentially for the money - both now and long term.

I think that if the XFL wants CFL teams to play by Amercian rules, the CFL will concede to it if they think it'll keep the teams afloat.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote