Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #4801
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I didn't take anything here as testy.
Hard to feel tone through a message board but everything seemed friendly and nerding out on golf chat to me.

I'm off to a scramble tournament today.
Excited to see how my driver works today with the relaxed form of a scramble tournament.
I have the longest shots of my group but I'm the highest handicap, so I can just let em rip and know I have more stable, consistent players with me if I miss hit.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #4802
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I don't find this thread testy at all. Lanny is going to Lanny and type out dissertations, but they're usually pretty well thought out and coherent. Read them if you want, or don't. I do because there's lots of info in the post. The discussion on "smart golf" and laying up/using clubs to set up the next shot is something every duffer should read.

I can't wait to get out again after pasting my drives last night. The irons are working well, the putter is finally coming around, and I feel like I have a chance at breaking 80 this year without the 10-15 added strokes my driver was putting into my game.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #4803
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golfing Ponoka in a few weeks. Anyone ever played it? Looks like a gooder...
Old 09-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #4804
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Which one? A coworker played links and said the greens were awful.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #4805
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just to touch on some of the points brought up.

This year I have started to

- hit from shorter tees on certain holes (I normally try to stay with the group, but will move up on certain holes)
- work backwards from the green so I can hit with a club i'm comfortable with (8 to Gap) onto the green
- Going with shorter irons in the rough, tougher lies, uneven footing regardless of distance to the hole.
- aim toward areas that would set me up for an easier next shot
- not using driver all the time on Par 4/5's to avoid hazards
- focused on putting with a putting mat at home - significantly reduced my 3 putts, mostly 2 putts now with the occasional 1 putts

I have been enjoying golf more lately with the changes and the lowering of my score. I still have lots to improve, was able to bring my score down from 120+ down to the low 100's this season. Finally broke 50 on 9 holes recently.

Next season, i'm hoping to focus on Sand shots, chipping, and long irons / woods and more course / game management.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 12:43 PM   #4806
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ponoka or Wolf Creek?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #4807
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry should have put Ponoka GC. We would have gone to Wolf Creek, but I've heard what you're saying DoubleK, that it is not in very good shape, which is a shame. Old Course is one of my all-time favorite layouts.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #4808
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Been years since I played it - but Ponoka is great! Have fun!
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #4809
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post

- hit from shorter tees on certain holes (I normally try to stay with the group, but will move up on certain holes)
- work backwards from the green so I can hit with a club i'm comfortable with (8 to Gap) onto the green
- Going with shorter irons in the rough, tougher lies, uneven footing regardless of distance to the hole.
- focused on putting with a putting mat at home - significantly reduced my 3 putts, mostly 2 putts now with the occasional 1 putts

I have been enjoying golf more lately with the changes and the lowering of my score. I still have lots to improve, was able to bring my score down from 120+ down to the low 100's this season. Finally broke 50 on 9 holes recently.

Next season, i'm hoping to focus on Sand shots, chipping, and long irons / woods and more course / game management.
Atta boy!!! Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes a lot of practice and dedication to get good at golf. There's a lot of frustration out there, but every time you feel that bell right when you strike that well hit ball, it motivates you to keep plugging away at it. Keep swinging, hitting them straight, and rolling the ball cleanly. Things will continue to go your way and your scores will drop along the way.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 09:36 PM   #4810
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post

You sound a lot like me.
Doing many of these similar things and have reduced my scores from 110-120ish last season to most under 100 this year; with a low of 93 and a few 9 hole rounds under 45.

The cool thing is a lot of these things start feeling automatic after a while.
The way I play the game and approach everything feels so different than a year ago; it really feels like levelling up.

Today I hit my 3W in off the deck from 256 out; 2nd shot on a par 5. Had a 12' putt for eagle and made birdie.
Last year's me would not believe I could play a hole that way.
I think I can break 90 before the season is over.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 09:52 PM   #4811
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Eagle looks are so fun hey? I've been getting better every round and have had many eagle looks this season. My last three turned into par, bogey, par.

Eagle attempts are my kryptonite on the course for sure, I just tighten right up and can't do anything properly in my putting stroke to an absurd degree. Putting is typically one of my strengths, for reference.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:40 AM   #4812
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Eagle looks are so fun hey? I've been getting better every round and have had many eagle looks this season. My last three turned into par, bogey, par.

Eagle attempts are my kryptonite on the course for sure, I just tighten right up and can't do anything properly in my putting stroke to an absurd degree. Putting is typically one of my strengths, for reference.
Stop playing for eagle. Get in the mindset of 2 putt for bird, then when you get comfortable start going for the eagle. Get that first putt close then tap it in.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #4813
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Atta boy!!! Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes a lot of practice and dedication to get good at golf. There's a lot of frustration out there, but every time you feel that bell right when you strike that well hit ball, it motivates you to keep plugging away at it. Keep swinging, hitting them straight, and rolling the ball cleanly. Things will continue to go your way and your scores will drop along the way.
Thanks for this comment, I think one of the most frustrating things is expecting a big drop in score right away. Thinking when you improve in one aspect of the game it should automatically lower your score by X strokes.

but it has been a slow steady progression as I get more consistent.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #4814
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

going for a nooner today at serenity - also playing there again on sunday with both my wife and my son. First time the three of us have played together.

i really wish that all 18 holes of sun catcher would start to show up on my garmin golf app/fenix 3.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #4815
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
going for a nooner today at serenity - also playing there again on sunday with both my wife and my son. First time the three of us have played together.

i really wish that all 18 holes of sun catcher would start to show up on my garmin golf app/fenix 3.
Have you tried doing an update from Garmin?
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #4816
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, garmin shows sun catcher as 18 holes, but then it only shows nine holes on the score card. I even tried googling garmin and sun catcher without any good hits.

I am thinking about putting a specific golf watch on my Christmas list, and I wonder if it would be on there. I just want it to track my score, although having the yardage is nice
Old 09-04-2021, 08:35 PM   #4817
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just updated my Garmin and am heading out to Speargrass tomorrow.

I'll fire up my watch and see if it shows 18 holes at suncatcher and let you know what I see.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #4818
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Stop playing for eagle. Get in the mindset of 2 putt for bird, then when you get comfortable start going for the eagle. Get that first putt close then tap it in.
Same hole as usual, after reading this post. Long drive, hybrid 3 to just on the fringe, 12 feet to the hole. Same bull**** haha. Timid, pushed putt that rolled down a break for a 5.5 foot birdie putt. Missed.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #4819
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Same hole as usual, after reading this post. Long drive, hybrid 3 to just on the fringe, 12 feet to the hole. Same bull**** haha. Timid, pushed putt that rolled down a break for a 5.5 foot birdie putt. Missed.
Off to Speargrass. If I don't have looks at eagle on 9 and 16 I will be pissed.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #4820
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Yes, garmin shows sun catcher as 18 holes, but then it only shows nine holes on the score card. I even tried googling garmin and sun catcher without any good hits.
Suncatcher only shows as 9 holes on my Garmin.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow