Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #3741
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to get a little more distance out each club as I am that guy that struggles with finding the right club for anything 150 or out. If I was on a 170 years par 3 I am currently reaching for my 4 hybrid.

My current clubs are ping raptures, and I did have them restarted a number of years ago. I think I would like a club that feels a little softer at impact.

I hear ya though on the consistency. As when I was hitting at golf town, I was looking at dispersion, ball flight and consistent distance, rather than the actual distance number. When I went to the range, with the new clubs taped up, I flipped things around a bit, and was looking for distance.

I guess at the end of the day when I make a purchase like this, I always wonder, if I should have considered one more model.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:09 AM   #3742
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The clubs really aren’t going to add distance though unless the angles are different. For example if your new set set a 7 would be a 6 in your old set. Maybe 5-10 yards max.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #3743
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My Dad is the type of golfer who struggles with about 170+ yards. I think it simply comes down to swing and power. He's got a bit of a gut on him, ok not a bit, he's got a full on gut. And it really prevents him from making a good back wing and a good follow through. At least thats his excuse to me.

When I upgraded my irons I noticed a remarkable increase in distance but the caveat is my previous clubs were like 20 years older. Technology had come a long ways. Year over year I'm not convinced there's a whole lot of improvement with clubs, its more incremental.

Also, I dont think you're alone. Most people I end up golfing with haul out a hybrid or wood for the 170+ shots. Regardless of their age or size. Having said that, I bet theres a brand or model of irons that would suit you perfectly and give you that consistent distance you're looking for. Just a matter of finding them...
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #3744
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post

It is not unheard of for people to pick up 10 yards over their old set - but often if you look into it, their new irons have stronger lofts than their old irons so that new 7 iron has the same loft as the old 6 iron, for example. So the extra yardage is from actually just hitting a longer club.

Newer iron designs launch the ball a lot higher with a lot more spin than something 10 years older. Most manufacturers decided to increase the lofts to bring the spin rates down for amateur golfers.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:19 PM   #3745
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have RAC's from 2006 but I wonder if upgrading clubs will hurt my score for a year while I get used to them. Is upgrading from clubs that you're used to worth it? I haven't even had them regripped yet. Is it worth it? Be gentle.
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #3746
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
I have RAC's from 2006 but I wonder if upgrading clubs will hurt my score for a year while I get used to them. Is upgrading from clubs that you're used to worth it? I haven't even had them regripped yet. Is it worth it? Be gentle.
It's easy to spend other people's money - so yes it is always worth it to get something new and shiny!

In reality though - how often do you play? If you've only played a few times a year since you got them, the grooves might have a lot of life left. If you play a ton every year, probably not.

Lots of new tech since 2006 - launch, spin, forgiveness etc.

New grips are easy and probably worth it at least after 15 years (if you are going to keep the clubs)
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #3747
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Shot a 95 at Speargrass. The last 2 holes did a number on my scoring.

Course was very brown and is in need of a lot of moisture. Same with the greens.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #3748
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought myself a new putter for my birthday today.
Taylormade Spider
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 01:05 PM   #3749
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
It's easy to spend other people's money - so yes it is always worth it to get something new and shiny!

In reality though - how often do you play? If you've only played a few times a year since you got them, the grooves might have a lot of life left. If you play a ton every year, probably not.

Lots of new tech since 2006 - launch, spin, forgiveness etc.

New grips are easy and probably worth it at least after 15 years (if you are going to keep the clubs)
Last year I had 25 rounds and I'm hoping to play that much going forward. I maybe had 25 rounds combined the previous 3 years before last year. I am comfortable with my clubs so I don't really want to change them unless it makes a difference in the right direction. I'm getting older now (43) so I've noticed my clubs don't quite hit as far as they used to, maybe a 5-10 yard difference
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:06 PM   #3750
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
Last year I had 25 rounds and I'm hoping to play that much going forward. I maybe had 25 rounds combined the previous 3 years before last year. I am comfortable with my clubs so I don't really want to change them unless it makes a difference in the right direction. I'm getting older now (43) so I've noticed my clubs don't quite hit as far as they used to, maybe a 5-10 yard difference
If you're comfortable with the clubs you got, I would say just stick with them. Especially given the amount of rounds you play a year. To me it comes to enoying the few games you play as opposed to the frustrations of learning to use a new set of irons. IMO of course
Old 04-07-2021, 09:37 AM   #3751
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Elbow Springs opening 18 holes on April 13, the full 27 on April 14.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #3752
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do you guys play better or worse when playing casual rounds with friends?

I have some friends that will constantly drop a second ball if they shank the first (to practice), will pull back missed putts and go again, etc.

I'm trying to improve my game and like to use the round as a serious measure of my skill. It's tough when I don't take mulligans, re-shots, practice balls, etc.

I'm worried that I don't have something accurate to measure against. I know everyone says that you are just playing against yourself, but what's the point of trying to be a 80s or 90s player if the other "80s" players conveniently miscount and are playing the "worst round of their lives" every time...

I may just need to pivot and try to get out with the more serious players from now on.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #3753
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's just cheating.
We usually do 1 mulli per 9 holes and a breakfast ball on your first shot if needed.

But re putting and calling mis hits practice shots?? That's just silly
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #3754
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
That's just cheating.
We usually do 1 mulli per 9 holes and a breakfast ball on your first shot if needed.

But re putting and calling mis hits practice shots?? That's just silly

I don't mind the "hit until you're happy" on the first tee box, especially at a busy one like Heatherglen. I don't really get the point of mulligans myself. I just play on or take the penalty and play on.

The practice shot was meant to be the second shot, to show what they actually meant to do if they connected. They are supposed to play their first duffed ball and usually do. Re-putting is annoying, as I'm trying to line up my putt and all of a sudden there's a bunch of motion and balls streaming by.

I'm pretty vocal about stopping, but some of these guys are so used to doing it, that they just revert within a hole or two.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #3755
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post

I have some friends that will constantly drop a second ball if they shank the first (to practice), will pull back missed putts and go again, etc.

I'm trying to improve my game and like to use the round as a serious measure of my skill. It's tough when I don't take mulligans, re-shots, practice balls, etc.

I'm worried that I don't have something accurate to measure against. I know everyone says that you are just playing against yourself, but what's the point of trying to be a 80s or 90s player if the other "80s" players conveniently miscount and are playing the "worst round of their lives" every time...

I may just need to pivot and try to get out with the more serious players from now on.
I don’t care what other people do. But don’t compare yourself to them.

You have your real score. What else do you need?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #3756
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Play for money, or don't keep score with them.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #3757
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe "reframe" the scenario?
(I plan to do this, I'm not turning pro in any lifetime(s)):
When you play a "casual round" with friends, use it as a practice round? Be creative or play different (second/practice) shots for fun and not worry about scorekeeping (especially other people's scorekeeping ).

Decide before a round whether its going to be (your) serious round; or cheat harder, whatever works!
Discoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #3758
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't care if you cheat, take mulligans or get wasted on the course. But for the love of God, don't play slow.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #3759
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I really don't care if you cheat, take mulligans or get wasted on the course. But for the love of God, don't play slow.
This. Slow players absolutely ruin a day. I wish golf courses took it more seriously.

Cheat all you want unless we're in a match.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #3760
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

Definitely... I'm really fast and really like it! No practice on tee box (pretty consistent) and then 1 or 2 otherwise. get it done and don't overthink it.

I hate the talking in your backswing when you're fast and the excuse is that they think you're warming up.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow