Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #681
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the limiting factor for Telus Internet 100 vs. Internet 50? I can "only" get 50 at my house (9 years old), even though Telus has told me it's "fibre-optic ready". Is it an issue of capacity/"ports" on the Telus end or something to do with house wiring? Seems like 80% of the people nearby have Telus just looking at the Wifi networks, so maybe they're close to the limit?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #682
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
What's the limiting factor for Telus Internet 100 vs. Internet 50? I can "only" get 50 at my house (9 years old), even though Telus has told me it's "fibre-optic ready". Is it an issue of capacity/"ports" on the Telus end or something to do with house wiring? Seems like 80% of the people nearby have Telus just looking at the Wifi networks, so maybe they're close to the limit?
Telus is in a bind right now with the buildout for fiber AFAIK. There is a huge amount of work and backend equipment that is required to support a fiber fed community and likely that is what hasn't been put in yet.

Right now their announced initial multiple billion dollar buildout investment is probably only going to push them to something like 15-20% of the footprint for full fiber capabilities in a couple of years. There is a lot of work involved including retrenching, laying new fiber line, getting that to the home, commissioning enough routers, repeaters, etc. You might have fiber put in to your home but that may not be hooked up to anything on the Telus side yet and they may have capacity problems.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #683
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
"Fibre-optic" doesn't mean a fibre GPON connection its just a marketing term. It's a brand name like "Air Jordan". Based on your max speed I'm guessing your are still on a vDSLv2 connection. Which is based twisted copper pairs with possible bonding.
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Mr. Clean For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #684
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Switched to TELUS Optik and Internet from Shaw Gateway and wow I don't know why I bothered with Shaw for so long. Faster Internet, better TV software, easier apps, etc
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #685
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Anyone go from Shaw to Telus recently rate the internet/wifi experience?
I just made the switch this morning. The one thing they did was install a repeater so I'm not just relying on the one router, or adding one of my own. Compare that with Shaw where the installer said it didn't matter if we installed it in the basement. (Which I knew was wrong, I just didn't want to fight them.)

I will let you know how it goes, but in the past year I went from Telus to Shaw and back again. The only reason we went with Shaw is we had it free for a year with the new house. In leaving them it looks like I will have another fight on my hands, as they claim the cable box I was renting was one I committed to buying.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #686
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I just made the switch this morning. The one thing they did was install a repeater so I'm not just relying on the one router, or adding one of my own. Compare that with Shaw where the installer said it didn't matter if we installed it in the basement. (Which I knew was wrong, I just didn't want to fight them.)

I will let you know how it goes, but in the past year I went from Telus to Shaw and back again. The only reason we went with Shaw is we had it free for a year with the new house. In leaving them it looks like I will have another fight on my hands, as they claim the cable box I was renting was one I committed to buying.
I had the backwards fight when I left shaw as they claimed that I owed them a box that I had agreed to pay for over the term of my contract (they offered to waive the fee for three years which paid for the box). When I argued the point they eventually caved and let me keep the box. I am still trying to figure out if I am going to go back to Shaw or go with Telus when I get into our new house
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:18 AM   #687
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a Shaw box with this deal of internet plus TV that was cheaper than just getting the internet. I cancelled when the deal ran out and asked where I should drop off the box. They told me to keep it.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #688
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking at making the switch from Shaw to Telus. I haven't had any issue with my Shaw service, I'm just looking to get the best monthly deal possible.

Any tips on how to negotiate? I will be calling Telus shortly to see what they can give me.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #689
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I'm looking at making the switch from Shaw to Telus. I haven't had any issue with my Shaw service, I'm just looking to get the best monthly deal possible.

Any tips on how to negotiate? I will be calling Telus shortly to see what they can give me.
Telus will be motivated. The best deal will happen with a contract, based on my calculation for my account I will save $800 over a three year contract. Most of savings happen in the first year.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #690
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see on the website the cheap pricing is up after 6 months, has anyone had luck getting it longer?
Old 05-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #691
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I had no luck when I switched from Shaw to Telus. I even threw the Techsavvy pricing at them and they went on about priority service, etc. That was through escalations.

Now Techsavvy wasn't able to serve my house, so I wasn't able to use them.

However, once Shaw got my cancellation request (maybe due to home phone being involved)- I got a call from their escalations team with much better offers. I didn't stick with Shaw because they have such screwy practices with their pricing.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #692
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never liked having to pay almost 2 months in advance for services from Shaw. The telus guy was by my neighborhood and I decided to change to them from Shaw. Funny enough I got a voicemail from Shaw the next day letting me know I could get the same services for $50 a month cheaper. Telus was still cheaper and I got a slightly faster internet speed too. 2 year contract but I can jump back to Shaw then if they offer me a better price. I see not much difference in quality of product, but I'm not on a super fast internet either.

zarrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #693
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally made the switch and just cancelled my Shaw account.
Had some Telus junk mail today with an offer too good to pass up.

Internet 25 (had 30 with Shaw)
Essentials Optik TV (had a much larger package with Shaw, but was open to no TV at all)
Free PVR and 2 portals (had free Gateway and 2 portals with Shaw)
Free installation.
2 year contract, but after being with Shaw for ~10 years, I'm ok with the change.
Our costs go down from $142/month to $96/month, plus it's only $50/month for the 1st 6 months.
Shaw tried keeping us, offering to match the price, but couldn't match on the 6 x $50/month. it's a $300 savings, so we're parting ways.

Quick question about Telus:
Do they have a satisfaction guarantee type of clause? Like, if I hate it after the first week, can I get out of that 2 year contract or is it final once agreed upon?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:51 PM   #694
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Quick question about Telus:
Do they have a satisfaction guarantee type of clause? Like, if I hate it after the first week, can I get out of that 2 year contract or is it final once agreed upon?
Once they install you're on the hook for the term. They bill in advance for that exact reason.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:27 PM   #695
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want a bit more impartial. Netflix ranks Canadian ISPs... Here is their list
https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/canada/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #696
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recently moved into a new area that doesn't have Telus Fibre (just regular Optik). I am not impressed.

More photos on Flickr

Last edited by Regulator75; 06-24-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #697
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Recently moved into a new area that doesn't have Telus Fibre (just regular Optik). I am not impressed.
New area as in new house?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #698
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mr. Clean View Post
"Fibre-optic" doesn't mean a fibre GPON connection its just a marketing term. It's a brand name like "Air Jordan". Based on your max speed I'm guessing your are still on a vDSLv2 connection. Which is based twisted copper pairs with possible bonding.
That's what is confusing me: my house has both fiber and copper from Telus (looks like two cables glued together). I would have thought they'd just hook up the fiber and be good to go, but they seem to want to hook up copper only.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #699
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh look, Shaw has increased their prices again. 16% in 2 years; 7x inflation.

I'd switch to Telus, but as a cord-cutter (internet only) I'd only save a measly $5/mo after the promo pricing ends. Is it even worth trying to get a retention deal from Shaw?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #700
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh look, Shaw has increased their prices again. 16% in 2 years; 7x inflation.

I'd switch to Telus, but as a cord-cutter (internet only) I'd only save a measly $5/mo after the promo pricing ends. Is it even worth trying to get a retention deal from Shaw?
It's funny you just call out Shaw for a price increase, but then say you wouldn't save much at Telus. Both are expensive.

Having said that give retentions a call and see what they can do, it can't hurt.