Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2022, 07:06 AM   #1
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Taking The Next Step

Flames have assembled a very experienced roster. A lot of mature players. Was wondering which players are ready to make the next step in their development.

I think this will be the year for Dube, Ruzicka and Valimaki to take big steps. Dube would have a much larger impact than the othef two if it happened. Vlader is another player who could really help if he improved on his play from last year. Taking some load off Markstrom.

It’s not really looking like anyone from the farm will have much room to move into the lineup unless there are injuries. Then I see opportunities for Mackey and possibly Pelletier.

Think you have what you have with the rest of the roster. Very mature group.

Last edited by Goriders; 09-23-2022 at 07:11 AM.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:25 AM   #2
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I can see since we acquired him and feels apparent to me but Huberdeau is taking the step from superstar player to franchise player and I think he will be the guy who is named captain at some point this year. I read comments from Twitter on how Lindholm stated that Huby as an aura about him

https://twitter.com/ryandittrick/sta...NUVFJVofd3C_Rw
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #3
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tre brought in leadership. Perhaps the departure of Gio left a hole in something vital that isn’t shown on the scoresheet. Not only was leadership brought in, but players with playoff experience and a better fit on the roster.

I for one am excited for this team. Might take a bit to get the wheels rolling, because it used to be the Gaudreau show. It will take some time for the new squad to mesh, but eventually, especially in the latter half of the season (beginning of 2023), I would expect some solid secondary scoring. And, if any injuries occur in ANY position, I think we can hold our own. IF any one of Dube, Valimaki, or Ruzicka take the next step, watch out for the Flames.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #4
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like Sutter said he expects the 23-28 year old group to take another step. As for guys that are 28-32 he is going to try and help them maintain their career years. As for older veterans he expects that they worked on not losing too much of their game.

I also have Dube as a breakout candidate. I think everything will finally click for him. Ruzicka is wishful thinking, but i’m not sure how big of a role he’s going to get. In fact i’m wary that we will lose both Ruzicka and Valimaki at the start of the year to waivers.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:33 AM   #5
Electricprez
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
From what I can see since we acquired him and feels apparent to me but Huberdeau is taking the step from superstar player to franchise player and I think he will be the guy who is named captain at some point this year. I read comments from Twitter on how Lindholm stated that Huby as an aura about him

https://twitter.com/ryandittrick/sta...NUVFJVofd3C_Rw
The leadership qualities of Huberdeau have been on display from pretty much day one here:

1. Graciously handles being turfed by his previous team without any real notice or discussion.

2. Immediately adopts his new team's colors, wearing his new jersey at events, getting friends to wear their gear in his reels, representing a city and a group of players he hasn't even met yet.

3. Has kept his fitness up during a time that can't have been easy for mental health (ripped up from his roots, moving cities, leaving his team, evaluating major life decisions) -- his training videos look intense; he's dedicated to remaining the player he is, no matter where he is.

4. Handles himself carefully and well in the media: no moping, no vengeance - eyes on coming in and winning it all. He signed a major deal without even spending much time in the city because this is the team that wanted him and he sees his future here, regardless of the 'arena issues' or the lack of beaches.

5. By all accounts from the media, seems to be carrying himself like a leader in practices: vocal, encouraging, mingling with the younger up-and-comers like Pospisil (100% sure I butchered that.)

I was extremely reticent to give this guy the "C" given he was totally new here and wanted Backlund to have it, but the more I watch this guy and see his attitude, the more I appreciate him as a leader and think he is probably the guy for it.
Electricprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #6
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Like Sutter said he expects the 23-28 year old group to take another step. As for guys that are 28-32 he is going to try and help them maintain their career years. As for older veterans he expects that they worked on not losing too much of their game.

I also have Dube as a breakout candidate. I think everything will finally click for him. Ruzicka is wishful thinking, but i’m not sure how big of a role he’s going to get. In fact i’m wary that we will lose both Ruzicka and Valimaki at the start of the year to waivers.
I think someone in the Ruzicka, Valimaki, Mackey, Zary, Pelletier bucket will the leaving at the trade deadline to bring in a top 6 RW.

This is a veteran win now roster short one piece with a group of younger players who are ready with nowhere to fit.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote