Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-14-2022, 05:22 PM   #1001
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I always find it interesting how misinformed the common person is when it comes to EVs.

From range, to price, to availability, to charging availability, etc.

If our government really wants the market to trend in this direction, someone might need to do better marketing.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:00 PM   #1002
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I always find it interesting how misinformed the common person is when it comes to EVs.

If our government really wants the market to trend in this direction, someone might need to do better marketing.
Something I said?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:19 AM   #1003
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Not sure I understand the post. Ranges will vary from brand to brand, vehicle to vehicle, ambient temperatures, etc. They are so much more variables than ICE vehicles that there's no simple information that will cover all the bases for all EV's. Even on Tesla forums there isn't a consensus on some of this stuff as owners argue back and forth.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:52 AM   #1004
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah the every day consumer isn't going to really understand the implications of having a heat pump or not, or why the rate of charge is so much more variable on car A vs car B. ICE vehicles have had a very long time to settle on standards and conventions, electric cars I think will get there eventually but until then it's going to be all over the place.

Even when someone does things like hook up a scanner to the car so they can see the battery temps in real time and it STILL isn't clear as to why it charges at 50kW today but 80kW tomorrow it's very confusing and possibly frustrating for an end user when they don't know if it'll take 20 minutes or 60 minutes to charge to 80%.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2022, 06:02 PM   #1005
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Shocking. $179 is vastly over valued but I don't think the stock deserves to drop over 5x.

edit - LCID is a good stock to short term trade it goes into the dumps then balloons for a day or 3 then drops again.
Dropping 5X is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is: what is it worth?

At $37, it has a market cap of $33B. Daimler (Mercedes) currently has a market cap of $66B

Mercedes sells millions of cars world wide. Rivian's total sales to date are measured in the dozens of vehicles.

There is no way in hell a person can make a reasonable case that Rivian is worth $33B
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:53 PM   #1006
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well guys it was my first time driving to work at 9 degrees today in the PHEV.

44km to work and averaged 1.2L/100km for the journey, Now we're talking!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #1007
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Well guys it was my first time driving to work at 9 degrees today in the PHEV.

44km to work and averaged 1.2L/100km for the journey, Now we're talking!
I didn't notice you were in Edmonton when I wrote my reply about Calgary weather being not so bad for EV / hybrids. Your location would be more challenging in winter given the colder temperatures.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:40 PM   #1008
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if anyone noticed but Tesla had some major price hikes yesterday.

Model 3 Price Changes – Canada
Rear Wheel Drive – $59,990 to $61,380 (+$1,390)
Long Range – $68,990 to $71,990 (+$3,000) (+$5,000 since last week)
Performance – $76,990 to $81,490 (+$4,500)

Model Y Price Changes – Canada
Long Range – $78,990 to $82,990 (+$4,000) (+$6,000 since last week)
Performance – $85,290 to $89,290 (+$4,000)

Model S Price Changes – Canada
All-Wheel Drive – $121,990 to $128,990 (+$7,000)
Plaid – $169,990 to $177,990 (+$8,000)

Model X Price Changes – Canada
All-Wheel Drive – $132,990 to $146,990 (+$14,000)
Plaid – $168,490 to $184,290 (+$15,800)

I get that they will still sell every car they make but these vehicles are getting seriously expensive.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:19 PM   #1009
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of what is driving the increase. Is it primarily batteries, or general metals like copper, or something else? Or everything.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:42 PM   #1010
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It would be interesting to see a breakdown of what is driving the increase. Is it primarily batteries, or general metals like copper, or something else? Or everything.

Not sure if it the same across the board for all EVs or just the ones with more advanced tech, but my experience dealing with this global semiconductor shortage is there is a lot of paying the through the nose for any components. You either completely redesign something or you pay 100x markups on otherwise mundane parts from hoarders/scalpers.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:31 PM   #1011
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

I get that they will still sell every car they make but these vehicles are getting seriously expensive.
I love my M3 SR+ but there is no way I would have paid those prices for it.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:20 PM   #1012
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not sure if it the same across the board for all EVs or just the ones with more advanced tech, but my experience dealing with this global semiconductor shortage is there is a lot of paying the through the nose for any components. You either completely redesign something or you pay 100x markups on otherwise mundane parts from hoarders/scalpers.
It's not an input cost issue, though there's some inflationary effects there. The average price of ANY vehicle in Canada rose by almost $5,000 last year and has risen again this year. The price of a vehicle is what people are willing to pay, not what it costs.

less cars + more people looking to buy = $$$$$$$$
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:31 PM   #1013
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It's not an input cost issue, though there's some inflationary effects there. The average price of ANY vehicle in Canada rose by almost $5,000 last year and has risen again this year. The price of a vehicle is what people are willing to pay, not what it costs.

less cars + more people looking to buy = $$$$$$$$

I was pretty surprised just looking at the used market on Autotrader for any EVs. I think I’m putting off any vehicle purchases for a while.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:36 PM   #1014
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I was pretty surprised just looking at the used market on Autotrader for any EVs. I think I’m putting off any vehicle purchases for a while.
A used Tesla is the same price as a brand new one. It's crazytowm
Old 03-20-2022, 12:54 PM   #1015
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
A used Tesla is the same price as a brand new one. It's crazytowm
More in sone cases, because getting a new one could be a year out.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:46 PM   #1016
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone here have the Toyota Rav 4 PHEV?
We are considering it for our 2nd vehicle with a baby on the way this summer.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:47 PM   #1017
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Anyone here have the Toyota Rav 4 PHEV?
We are considering it for our 2nd vehicle with a baby on the way this summer.

We were thinking of that or the Subaru Crosstrek PHEV. Never saw the Rav4 PHEV in the showroom. It’s like maybe Canada got allocated 3.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #1018
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

With all the pent up demand for electric vehicles, really only Tesla and maybe Ford are able to deliver. Even then the wait lists are crazy. Hyundai Ioniq 5 wait times are a year out. If sales in 2021 are over 9% (was 4.1% in 2020 and 2.1% in 2019)? What does 2022 look like?

We still have low uptake in North America, but China and Europe are really increasing. With Ford and GM publicly embracing electric vehicles (less convinced about actual plans), when does this change?

Tesla specifically has seen crazy growth. In Q4 of 2021 they delivered 308.6k vehicles for a new record. In Q4 of 2020 they got a new record of 180.6k. With Austin and Berlin factories now producing cars and Shanghai being expanded, what does 2022 look like? It's really crazy to see the growth
Old 04-03-2022, 10:04 AM   #1019
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The new Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards require an industry-wide fleet average of approximately 49 mpg for passenger cars and light trucks in model year 2026, the strongest cost savings and fuel efficiency standards to date. The new standards will increase fuel efficiency 8% annually for model years 2024-2025 and 10% annually for model year 2026. They will also increase the estimated fleetwide average by nearly 10 miles per gallon for model year 2026, relative to model year 2021.

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...year-2024-2026

With the new fuel economy standards manufacturers aren't going to have a lot of choice, they will need to electrify heavily to bring the averages down. It will be interesting to see if raw materials ends up being a constraining factor as this happens. It may be that they have to switch to more hybrids that have small batteries, to spread the efficiency across the fleet.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:04 PM   #1020
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Something I said?
Not at all. The people in this thread are not the common consumer I am talkin about. Spend 10-15 reading about EVs and its easy to see how much the technology has changed. One great example is electric forklifts. Absolutely the future, and yet I talk to people daily who ask 'well what do you do when the battery runs out, huh, huh'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not sure I understand the post. Ranges will vary from brand to brand, vehicle to vehicle, ambient temperatures, etc. They are so much more variables than ICE vehicles that there's no simple information that will cover all the bases for all EV's. Even on Tesla forums there isn't a consensus on some of this stuff as owners argue back and forth.
Not talking about consensus or even anything specific. Just talking about overall knowledge on what EVs are all about, how they work, how the technology has progressed, how charging works, what the cost difference is, etc. Not a lot of consumer knowledge out there, and it will absolutely create a barrier when it comes to more rapid transition in the future.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post: