Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #201
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/for...plex-channels/
Haven't tried it myself, but there appears to be a Food Network plugin for Plex.
Food Network on Plex works fine on my Roku 3.

Last edited by shane_c; 02-01-2014 at 05:42 PM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #202
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

What's the best platform for plex? I only have Apple TV and an XBox.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #203
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Food Network on Plex works fine on my Roku 3.
So I find the FN app for plex....download, unzip and copy to app folder. When I try to load app from Plex it says...

The app I'm using is unable to access this channel. A quick search shows its most up to date...what is up? I have the newest plex server and all is up to date.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #204
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
What's the best platform for plex? I only have Apple TV and an XBox.
Roku 3 is the most robust platform for Plex.

An HTPC is probably second best.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2014, 04:33 AM   #205
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Roku 3 is my winner
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #206
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
So I find the FN app for plex....download, unzip and copy to app folder. When I try to load app from Plex it says...

The app I'm using is unable to access this channel. A quick search shows its most up to date...what is up? I have the newest plex server and all is up to date.
That's not how I add plex channels. From my PC I launch the plex media server. Down at the bottom right of my screen I can see the application is running so I right click it and click on Media Manager. It will open in a web browser. From there I click add channels and just click the one I want and then click install.

My Roku 3 has a Plex app on it which connects through wi-fi to the PC.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #207
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Figured this is as good of place as any to ask this:

My mom recently had an operation and is spending quite a bit of time in bed. We moved her TV in there and put in my extra Roku in for her to watch Netflix. Is there any way she can watch an external plex server (mine) as well?

I don't recall ever entering myPlex account info into that box, so I am thinking it auto locates the local plex server. Is that correct? Can I alter that behavior? I would rather have it figured out before I go over there.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #208
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I don't recall ever entering myPlex account info into that box, so I am thinking it auto locates the local plex server. Is that correct? Can I alter that behavior? I would rather have it figured out before I go over there.
Looks like you can! I don't have a Roku so I can't confirm but hopefully this helps you out

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php...1ef2ab121cdf24
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #209
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that makes sense. I don;t know how I missed finding that in my searches.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #210
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. I don;t know how I missed finding that in my searches.
It is ok to bow down to me as the Master of the Internet
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #211
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I haven't been following this thread much, so I don't know if this is "news" or not. But the update to the TSN app on my iPhone now includes streaming of TSN and TSN2. I watched a bit of the Oilers game, and the quality was good. It also consumed 100 MB in 5 minutes, so if on wifi with an HDMI output you may be able to watch on a TV.

The only catch is that you need to login with a Bell or Rogers account to be able to view the online content.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #212
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I tried logging in as a Rogers customer and it said that I had to have TSN in my cable package still. Which I don't have.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #213
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Roku 3 is the most robust platform for Plex.

An HTPC is probably second best.
I'm not sure how you could say this. I run a Roku 3 (which I like a lot) on the main floor TV and an HTPC in the theater in the basement.

The Roku works fine with Plex, but the HTPC runs Plex much smoother and allows customization options not available on Plex. I'm running a 135" screen in the basement and the customization allows much cooler menus especially given the large size (8 gigs) of media I serve from a QNAP server. I did have the Roku connected to the home theater for a few hours but it really doesn't give you what you can get with an HTPC. To take advantage of a larger screen I use customization abilities not available in Roku's Plex.

Now on the flip side, my wife can use the Roku Plex better than she can the HTPC Plex, but that's in part because the menu system has been simplified. Regardless, to say the Roku 3 is more "robust" with Plex than an HTPC is categorically false.

Edit: I see I'm late to the party.

Last edited by Kjesse; 03-14-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #214
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^

PC will always have more options, however the ease of use and the fact that $99 for a roku 3 vs $$$ for a HTPC is a big selling point.

I have 3 Rokus in my house and over 20 people connected to library and channels. Plex's official Roku app is not the only plex app that runs on the Roku. I actually use 2 others that have unified searches and different library layouts. We talk ease of use, my wife types in a movie or tv show in plex and it finds it, no matter what it is old or new. She then can click download to watch later or click watch to watch now. I'm one who will take ease of use over a few more features I won't use and not having to worry about updating, buying remotes etc because not having to fix things every day because my wife clicked something wrong is a big plus for me. Back when I used a HTPC the daily find what she deleted or phone calls while I was at the hockey game because a driver quit responding really got to me haha.

I have walked at least 10 people on this forum on how to setup plex and get the most out of the roku, plex makes netflix, hulu and prime completely useless. I can help those who have questions and as some can attest to I can help make your roku able to find any movie or any tv show your little heart desires.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #215
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
^

I actually use 2 others that have unified searches and different library layouts. We talk ease of use, my wife types in a movie or tv show in plex and it finds it, no matter what it is old or new.

I have walked at least 10 people on this forum on how to setup plex and get the most out of the roku, plex makes netflix, hulu and prime completely useless. I can help those who have questions and as some can attest to I can help make your roku able to find any movie or any tv show your little heart desires.
Interesting, I'd like to know what you're referring to. I'm not sure what you mean by "unified search".
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #216
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Interesting, I'd like to know what you're referring to. I'm not sure what you mean by "unified search".
Unified search means it searches through all available channels and libraries. In other words you don't have to go into any channels and search there you search form lex and it tells you what channels or libraries it's available in.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #217
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not to familiar with Plex. Is it any different/better than XBMC? I like the fact that it has chromecast support which xbmc does not. Might be worth playing with.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #218
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Not to familiar with Plex. Is it any different/better than XBMC? I like the fact that it has chromecast support which xbmc does not. Might be worth playing with.
Plex is a media server that transcodes its entire library to play on the device that the plex app or program is running on.

Plex additionally has channels (like apps) of other providers like CBC, Crackle, Fox, IMBD, Yify etc. The benefit to me of plex is being able to find TV shows and Movies with a simple search and stream them directly to my device. I hardly use my PVR anymore and haven't opened Netflix in months.

You need a device (a PC or a NAS) to run the plex media server so you can connect to it.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #219
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Damn this stuff is way over my head haha
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #220
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Check your messages diemenz