Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #161
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
- HuluPlus (achieved through prepayed credit cards registered to the US)
(edit)
Total cost? Netflix: $15/mth, unblockus: $5/mth, Antenna (mounted by billy-goat-footed-pros): $500
Previous rogers bill: $140/mth
yet to be resolved: HBO
Hi, just wondering what prepaid credit cards you used for the Hulu+ registration? I've been thinking about getting it too but wasn't sure how to go about it. Thanks.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #162
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

When I had Dish Network and needed a US credit card, the Mastercard they give you that is tied to your Paypal account registers as being a US card.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #163
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
Hi, just wondering what prepaid credit cards you used for the Hulu+ registration? I've been thinking about getting it too but wasn't sure how to go about it. Thanks.
I just did this method:
http://www.howtogetitincanada.com/hu...sential-guide/

However, a coworker did the method where you use the numbers in your postal code, and add 000's to the end (or 001) to make a legit zip code. Then he just used his normal credit card.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #164
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I asked in the gamecenter thread too. What is everyone's experiences with the various roku models. I am thinking of getting one just for game center on a secondary tv. Any advantages to the roku 3 over the other models for game center? Is there improvements in video processing that makes the picture better or smoother?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #165
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have the Roku 3 and am using the gamecenter app on it. The gamecenter app on it is very slow, all the menus take like 5 seconds to load and go back. Its not very polished or intuitive at all. I'm not sure what its like on any of the other models because this is the only Roku I have. Its not the Roku itself because most apps are awesome on it. I just played around a bit with the gamecentre app on the Apple TV 2 and its much faster, and has a better gui for sure.

Last edited by 1_Flames_Fan; 10-10-2013 at 10:08 PM.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #166
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
I have the Roku 3 and am using the gamecenter app on it. The gamecenter app on it is very slow, all the menus take like 5 seconds to load and go back. Its not very polished or intuitive at all. I'm not sure what its like on any of the other models because this is the only Roku I have. Its not the Roku itself because most apps are awesome on it. I just played around a bit with the gamecentre app on the Apple TV 2 and its much faster, and has a better gui for sure.
Any difference between the quality of video? I don't know if I can bring myself to buy an Apple product, but it does seem to be getting the best reviews for this purpose. At least I can hide it in my wiring closet and no one has to know!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #167
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Roku 3 seems excellent for Netflix. Very speedy browsing, much better than other boxes I've seen. Though nothing else very interesting in the app store.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #168
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have the Roku 3 and it is a pretty versatile device. I use it to run Plex mostly because it is more stable than a jail broken Apple TV 2. The knock against Roku is the GUI is certainly not as polished as the apple tvs.

I haven't tried gamecenter, I still use atv for that. Also while Netflix works perfectly on the Roku it does not support multiuser, so I use the ATV Netflix. For mutiple users of Netflix (especially kids) the multiuser is a must. Hopefully the Roku updates the app to support it soon.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #169
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just bought a gift subscription for 1 month to Hulu+ to try out. Used the ps3 app to watch it on the tv in the living room and it is awesome. Will test the xbox app some other time but my xbox live sub runs out in January and I won't bother to renew unless the apps run much better on it than the ps3. But so far I've used the H+, NHL gamecenter and Netflix apps on the ps3 and it has worked perfectly. Last year the gamecenter app wasn't very smooth but after watching the Flames/NJ game it worked great. Guess I don't need a Chromecast. But it would be nice to have one.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #170
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just picked up a Chromecast, pretty slick little device. Wife will be happy as I will be able to clean up the mess of cables by the TV...

Just need to get xbmc content to it and we're ready for rock n roll.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #171
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

xbmchub, all your cable needs in one place
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #172
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
xbmchub, all your cable needs in one place
Yeah, glad I found a lot of the plugins for it, works well. Yatse is a great remote app for your phone to control xbmc as well as other things like stream over it. Free in the store.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #173
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know how to watch CFL playoffs with no cable/TSN?
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #174
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Anyone know how to watch CFL playoffs with no cable/TSN?
Good question, bumpy.

So I've gone cold turkey off cable for about 40 days so far. I'm loving the $90 I have in my pocket each month. I built an antenna that was somewhat better than the $60 powered one I started with. I get CTV, CITY and CBC. I can get Global, but I have to move the antenna and then the others don't work.

I'm on Netflix and US Unblock. The US Unblock is key for US Netflix content as well as well as other US content like Hulu, Comedy Central and some others. I use CTV, CITY and Global websites the day after my shows air, like Family Guy, HIMYM and Big Bang Theory.

The obvious problems include sports. I can get some Seahawks games on Sunday and I can only watch Flames on CBC. And then the only time I need to use an alternative method for a show is for when I need The Walking Dead. I think you can buy a season pass on iTunes Canada, but I wont be installing that.

TL;DR I've been happy with cutting the cord, only missing some sports and AMC.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #175
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently bought the roku 3 and so far it seems pretty cool. However I am trying to figure out how to use unblock us or blockless on it. I am not very smart when it comes to technology, so if someone can try and explain it in simple terms that would be lovely.

edit: It says something about my DNS isn't setup correctly, not sure what I need to do.

Last edited by Hockey; 11-16-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #176
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Regarding the CFL I use JustinTV and generally someone is broadcasting it (picture quality is not always ideal). Depending on the TV in our house I use the unofficial Justin TV app on my Roku or I airplay from my iPad to my Apple TV. I haven't missed a CFL game in 1 year this way.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Number 39 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #177
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
I recently bought the roku 3 and so far it seems pretty cool. However I am trying to figure out how to use unblock us or blockless on it. I am not very smart when it comes to technology, so if someone can try and explain it in simple terms that would be lovely.

edit: It says something about my DNS isn't setup correctly, not sure what I need to do.
You cannot change the DNS on the Roku 3, its a PITA. So you have to change the DNS on the router itself. Unblockus has instructions on its site. If you need more help send me a PM
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #178
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

has anyone heard of this?
http://www.stoppayingcablebills.com/tv47-discount.html

legit/crap/stay away
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #179
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the very least it's either not legal, or fake
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #180
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
has anyone heard of this?
http://www.stoppayingcablebills.com/tv47-discount.html

legit/crap/stay away
Site froze my tablet. Take that for what it's worth.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post: