Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon26 John Davidson resigns as CBJ POHO. Named NYR president

https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news...davidson051719

Quote:
STATEMENT FROM BLUE JACKETS PRESIDENT MIKE PRIEST
"The New York Rangers recently sought permission from our organization to speak with John Davidson about serving as their team president. That permission was granted and today John has resigned his position as the president of hockey operations and alternate governor with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

"Personally, I want to thank J.D. for his friendship and the many contributions that he and his wife, Diana, have made to the Blue Jackets and throughout our community. He helped us forge a winning culture based on preparation, hard work, accountability and honesty. He set the tone and hired talented people that put in place a plan to build the Blue Jackets through the draft and player development with the end goal being a team that could compete and have success at the highest-level on a yearly basis.

"The winning culture that now is entrenched in all of us will continue under the direction of Jarmo Kekalainen, who will now serve as an alternate governor in addition to general manager, and the leaders within our hockey operations department. We remain committed to improving on the successes we've had in recent seasons with the goal of bringing a Stanley Cup championship to Columbus."

STATEMENT FROM BLUE JACKETS OWNER/GOVERNOR JOHN P. McCONNELL
"When we hired John Davidson in October 2012, I said I thought he was the perfect person to lead our hockey operations efforts. Nearly seven years later, I believe I was right. He joined our team at a very difficult time and led a transformation that has resulted in consistent winning and appearances in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. J.D. is a man of great character and compassion and I completely understand his interest in the unique opportunity before him. I know leaving Columbus is a difficult decision for him as he has a genuine love of our community and organization, but the possibility of returning to his roots in New York, where he spent three decades as a player and broadcaster, is an extraordinary circumstance for him and his family.

"On behalf of my family, our ownership group and the entire Blue Jackets organization, I want to thank J.D. and wish him, Diana and their family nothing but the best in the years to come."

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-17-2019 at 11:08 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

66 years old.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

JD is Ranger royalty. Beloved. Would be shocked if he doesn't end up back there.

Edit - And that was quick. Just named President

Last edited by Toonage; 05-17-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If he has resigned then he and the Rangers have already agreed to terms, it is just a matter of officially announcing it.

Going to be an interesting summer for the Jackets. Davidson leaving at the same time 3 big UFAs are likely to leave the team. The team also spent a lot of futures for this year's playoff run.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If he has resigned then he and the Rangers have already agreed to terms, it is just a matter of officially announcing it.

Going to be an interesting summer for the Jackets. Davidson leaving at the same time 3 big UFAs are likely to leave the team. The team also spent a lot of futures for this year's playoff run.
Any chance some of those UFAs end up signing with the Rangers?
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Knowing that they're likely to lose all three of them, JD decided to go all-in at the deadline. I commend him and the ownership for having the balls to do it, simply for the sake of going for it. I am sure Columbus fans had a blast watching the playoffs. I doubt Treliving would ever do something like this.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Sure, Panarin could. It's more likely he goes to FLA to reunite with Quenneville.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Vox
Old 05-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Panarin is definitely a possibility, Rangers have been a long speculated/rumored top destination for him.

Good chance they try for Duchene. After Zibanejad they don't have a lot of great C depth. They do have some promising 19/20 year olds that can play that position so easing them in behind Duchene and Zibanejad might be ideal.

Bobrovsky is unlikely unless Lundqvist retires or allows the Rangers to trade him. Doubtful they can afford to allocate that much salary cap to 2 goalies. But who knows, if they don't spend crazy this summer maybe they can work it in.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Pretty Classy Statement from the owner there. The Blue Jackets have just earned a little place in my heart.
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rtown For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtown View Post
Pretty Classy Statement from the owner there. The Blue Jackets have just earned a little place in my heart.
There's classy and there's Florida-classy...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Panarin is definitely a possibility, Rangers have been a long speculated/rumored top destination for him.

Good chance they try for Duchene. After Zibanejad they don't have a lot of great C depth. They do have some promising 19/20 year olds that can play that position so easing them in behind Duchene and Zibanejad might be ideal.

Bobrovsky is unlikely unless Lundqvist retires or allows the Rangers to trade him. Doubtful they can afford to allocate that much salary cap to 2 goalies. But who knows, if they don't spend crazy this summer maybe they can work it in.
Rangers probably re-sign zuccarello and Hayes is my guess as well.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #12
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Rangers job is pretty much Davidson's dream job. You have to give him credit as he took over the Blues when they were a mess, and was able to get them on the right track. Went to Columbus to take on a larger challenge as a guy with no history in the Community or with the organization and really has managed to lead a cultural shift there too.

Given the resources he'll have to work with, and that the Rangers by default pretty much get to tamper with everyone else's NCAA Free agents... I have to think he'll have the Rangers winning a Stanley cup in the next 5 years.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #13
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

New York Rangers @NYRangers
OFFICIAL: John Davidson has been named #NYR President.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #14
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
There's classy and there's Florida-classy...

Considering that happened solely because of the owner Vinnie Viola, and he is a true New Yorker through and through, it should be considered "New York-Classy" rather than being attributed to Florida.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #15
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
...Vinnie Viola, and he is a true New Yorker through and through...
Brooklyn!
Old 05-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #16
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
66 years old.
And...?

I don't get why people do this. Is there a "Best Before" date that determines when you can still be effective at your job?
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brooklyn!
What is 'No Sleep 'Til' Alex?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #18
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Knowing that they're likely to lose all three of them, JD decided to go all-in at the deadline. I commend him and the ownership for having the balls to do it, simply for the sake of going for it. I am sure Columbus fans had a blast watching the playoffs. I doubt Treliving would ever do something like this.
JD wasn't the GM.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #19
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Jarmo gets promoted to POHO and someone else as GM? Seems to be a popular thing for teams to do now to add younger voices to management.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time I have heard Davidson speak I come away impressed. Comes across as sincere and honest, and not the usual hockey cliche machine. Maybe because he started as a broadcaster after his playing days.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote