Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #14141
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I'd be pretty reluctant to send Bennett out the door for Zucker.
Bennett is ~.37 ppg, and Zucker is ~.52; however Zucker had that one year where he put up 64 points. This past season he dropped back down to a ~45 point player.
Is he a ~60 point player, or a ~45 point player?
If you think he can put up ~60 points for a few more seasons, it might be worth it, but if he's closer to a ~45 point guy, I don't think it seems like a prettt bad deal.
Following similar logic, if you remove Bennett's best season then he becomes a ~27 point player...
Old 05-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #14142
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Following similar logic, if you remove Bennett's best season then he becomes a ~27 point player...
Yeah, but Bennett's top season was only 9 points over that average, whereas Zucker's is more like 27 points over his average of 37 points per 82 games.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #14143
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most interesting part of the Wild article is that Christian Dvorak was in a conversation that wasn't shut down by Arizona.

Although he was injured for the bulk of last year, this is a player that Calgary should be targeting. Exactly the 'gritty guy who can actually play' sort that the Flames need.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #14144
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The most interesting part of the Wild article is that Christian Dvorak was in a conversation that wasn't shut down by Arizona.

Although he was injured for the bulk of last year, this is a player that Calgary should be targeting. Exactly the 'gritty guy who can actually play' sort that the Flames need.
Former junior teammate of Tkachuk too!
Old 05-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #14145
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

He was also Tkachuk's centre wasn't he?

Wasn't it Tkachuk - Dvorak - Marner?
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #14146
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Yup, I would love to add Dvorak but the Yotes would be crazy to move him.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #14147
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Can we just sign Marner?
Old 05-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #14148
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Yup, I would love to add Dvorak but the Yotes would be crazy to move him.
Why? He's a good prospect but not an elite can't miss guy. One year younger but a similar stats line to Jankowski.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #14149
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why? He's a good prospect but not an elite can't miss guy. One year younger but a similar stats line to Jankowski.
I think he has high upside but I also saw him a lot in junior.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #14150
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
People's expectations about Brodie's return are WAY out of whack. It's like they believe that 30 other GMs didn't watch the 5 playoff games against the Avs, or the preceding 25 regular season games.

Flames will be happy getting a 3rd round pick for him. A 2nd, and they will drive him to the airport today.

Boomer and Warrener were speaking a couple weeks back (just after elimination) about the perception on Brodie, and how people are going to be disappointed with the return. They speculated at the time that a 3rd or 4th would be the high end of the return.

I would bet $20 to the first comer on this board that there is no 1st round pick in return of a Brodie-for-pick deal. Who's in?
Every team in the league would give up a 2nd round pick without a second thought for TJ Brodie.

A third or fourth being high end? Give your head a shake. Travis Hamonic got traded for a first AND two seconds.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #14151
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope Zucker for Bennett isn't on the table. Sometimes people hear names, and pile on as thinking player X is the next greatest thing. In this case the grass certainly appears to be greener on the other side. Player for player I think Bennett and his unique skillset is what the Flames should be keeping for the future. He's not going to pot many goals but his combination of skills are unique. Agitators who don't take stupid penalties and can skate are really unique in my opinion. Zucker on the second or third line is fine, but not at the cost of Bennett. If Bennett has to go you hope he goes in a package for a higher end player - not a second line player at best.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #14152
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone here keeps making hyperbolic statements about TJ Brodie's value.

No, every team would not offer a second round pick for him. Why would a team like San Jose just take on that much cap space when they already have guys walking. Plus, the Sharks only have 2 picks in the first 3 rounds for 2019 and 2020 combined.

There are many teams in bad cap/pick situations.

At the same time, TJ Brodie is worth more than a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Let's try to be realistic here.
I will say, if Treliving can't find at least a mid-second round pick for Brodie, then I don't think Brodie gets traded for a pick. Rather, Brodie would probably be in a "hockey deal" that involves players.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #14153
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In what world is Muzzin worth a 1st round pick and two above average prospects but TJ Brodie will struggle to return a mid 2nd rounder by himself?

If Brodie can’t return a 1st+ or be involved in a deal for a significant top six forward you simply keep him. How underrated can this guy get?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 08:15 PM   #14154
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If you keep Brodie for this year, then you have a much harder choice to make: keeping him at a long term for $7 million-plus or simply letting him walk.

He's gone. Has to be.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #14155
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If you keep Brodie for this year, then you have a much harder choice to make: keeping him at a long term for $7 million-plus or simply letting him walk.

He's gone. Has to be.
If the offers out there aren't at least worth one year of Brodie for the Flames (as some posters suggest), then you don't make the trade and you just need to be fine letting him walk at the end of the season and hope he helps our playoff run.

Last edited by burnitdown; 05-23-2019 at 08:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to burnitdown For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #14156
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

He's gone. Has to be.
I agree that you have to trade him this year to maximize his value, but I don’t see any scenario in which Brodie makes $7m+ on his next contract. I can see him making $5m-$5.25m but not much more than that. He’s good offensively, he’s a great skater, and he moves the puck well but his defensive play is just way too reckless to warrant that big of a raise.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:58 PM   #14157
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

As a UFA? Brodie gets $7 no question IMO. Jake Gardiner might get $6 this year.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #14158
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

7M! no way he gets that
Old 05-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #14159
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Plus/minus???? You are using that in isolation to look at a players defensive ability. Tsk, tsk.

You obviously know little about Couturier. He generally shuts down the other teams best player. He's only been used in any kind of offensive role for the last two years. Johnny is a different type of player, so they are hard to compare. But Couturier is so much better than Monny it's not debatable.
You were the one acting like he was younger than Monny...Couturier is 2 years older and has just broken out in the last two years. Little early for "not debatable" Monny is better at 24 than Couturier was.

He shuts the other teams best players down so well they missed the playoffs.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #14160
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He shuts the other teams best players down so well they missed the playoffs.
This reminds me of the O'Reilly talk earlier in the year. Now there's a bunch of posters eating crow while watching him in the Stanley Cup Finals.

It's almost like hockey is a team sport.
Closed Thread