Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #101
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let's talk about RADON

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiJin View Post
Has this problem been factored in to the building code revisions of the past couple of years in terms of foundation preparation and or floor ventilation? The government has been largely focused on energy efficiency which makes new homes more air tight, which one would think could exacerbate tHe issue. We have a newer home, and I don't think it includes any anti radon infiltration measures. I know from growing up on American television feeds from Washington, the Americans have taken it as a serious issue for a long time.

Yes beginning in about 2016, new builds are required to have a Radon Mitigation rough-in. Basically allows you to install a radon fan without having to drill a couple holes.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #102
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

We got the expensive detector from Amazon and we are at 150 after months of testing. I guess too high to be super thrilled and too low to bother with mitigation.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #103
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just did a test for 12 months and got 204, should I bother with mitigation? No one lives down there and we spend maybe 5 hours a month down there. Only relatives staying for short durations spend time in the bedroom.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #104
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I just did a test for 12 months and got 204, should I bother with mitigation? No one lives down there and we spend maybe 5 hours a month down there. Only relatives staying for short durations spend time in the bedroom.
The difference in reading for each floor you go up is about 15% less apparently.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #105
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

has anyone participated in the Evict radon study through the U of C and run by Dr. Aaron Goodarzi?

https://evictradon.ca/

looks like the 90 day kit they want people to use is $60. seems reasonable.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #106
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’ve been meaning to do this. I just placed an order.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #107
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got our house tested last year - our average reading was 88, so I'm happy with that. A neighbour a few doors down had his tested, and he was just over 200 - he put a mitigation system in.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #108
henry07
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
I got our house tested last year - our average reading was 88, so I'm happy with that. A neighbour a few doors down had his tested, and he was just over 200 - he put a mitigation system in.
Which company did you go with to have that tested and how much was it? Anyone have an idea of how much a radon system would cost to install?
henry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #109
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...fa1eb36d448405

Quote:
A re-analysis has been carried out of thirty-two case-control and two ecological studies concerning the influence of radon, a radioactive gas, on the risk of lung cancer. In all, as a result of our meta-analysis of the combined cohort, we conclude that the analysed data concerning radon concentrations below ~1000 Bq/m3 (~20 mSv/year of effective dose to the whole body) do not support the thesis that radon may be a cause of any statistically significant increase in lung cancer incidence. 2018
https://clinmedjournals.org/articles....php?jid=ijrit

Quote:
The American Lung Association has recently led a national workgroup to develop The National Radon Action Plan: A Strategy for Saving Lives. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is the lead governmental organization projected to implement this plan. The stated intent of the plan is to address the "radon problem" in the United States, with the aim of saving 3,200 lives by the year 2020 through preventing at least a portion of the lung cancer mortality that is assumed to arise from inhaling modest doses of radon in homes, offices, and buildings. The plan identifies a number of actions that government can take in the spirit of saving lives by avoiding the inhalation of radon and its progeny. We are among a growing number of investigators who recognize the substantial body of evidence demonstrating that the radiation doses associated with indoor radon inhalation are not harmful. Radon, at these doses, is unlikely to be a cause of lung cancer, and, on the contrary, may be beneficial in various ways, including its paradoxical tendency to protect against lung cancer. In the present paper, we review and critique the past policies of the EPA with respect to indoor radon and the very impetus for the plan. We indicate that the plan should not be implemented because a preponderance of the evidence indicates an unintended consequence: implementation of the plan is likely to increase, rather than decrease, the risk of lung cancer. 2016
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3315166/

Quote:
Residential radon has been found to be associated with lung cancer in epidemiological/ecological studies and the researchers have inappropriately concluded that residential radon causes lung cancer. Their conclusion relates to the linear-no-threshold (LNT) hypothesis-based, risk-assessment paradigm; however, the LNT hypothesis has been invalidated in numerous studies. It is shown in this paper that our hormetic relative risk (HRR) model is consistent with lung cancer data where detailed measurements of radon in each home were carried out. Based on the HRR model, low-level radon radioactive progeny is credited for activated natural protection (ANP) against lung cancer including smoking-related lung cancer. The proportion B(x) (benefit function) of ANP beneficiaries increases as the average radon level x increases to near the Environmental Protection Agency’s action level of 4 picocuries/L (approximately 150 Bq m−3). As the average level of radon increases to somewhat above the action level, ANP beneficiaries progressively decrease to zero (B(x) decreases to 0), facilitating the occurrence of smoking-related lung cancers as well as those related to other less important risk factors. Thus, residential radon does not appear to cause lung cancer but rather to protect, in an exposure-level-dependent manner, from its induction by other agents (e.g., cigarette-smoke-related carcinogens). 2011

Last edited by troutman; 01-23-2019 at 04:24 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #110
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting studies. Sometimes I treat papers promoting a hormetic model with a bit of skepticism, not because it never applies but because there are some authors that seem to be almost religious the way they promote it in all cases. Also all the papers seem to be from private research institutions. However from a quick look there seems to be a case for their position.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:51 AM   #111
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry07 View Post
Which company did you go with to have that tested and how much was it? Anyone have an idea of how much a radon system would cost to install?

I don't live in Calgary, and the person I used to do the test, was a local, so I'm not sure it will help you. The cost was about $200 or something like that. My neighbour had a radon system installed and it cost them about $1,500.00

You can get a test kit at any local hardware or building supply store. They cost approximately $15. You do the test and send the samples out to a lab (it costs another $25 or so). So if you just want to get an idea of what type of reading you are getting, you could try one of these kits. If the readings come in high, you could then spend a bit more to do some further testing, etc.

Last edited by Shin Pad; 01-24-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #112
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I always thought this was some kind of scam
I still think it is haha.

Costs about $2/SF to get the vapor barrier installed for the rough in. So around $1500 per house as per code, ~$4000 if you actually want to vent it somewhere. I've only seen one home owner actually pay for the vent.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #113
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
has anyone participated in the Evict radon study through the U of C and run by Dr. Aaron Goodarzi?

https://evictradon.ca/

looks like the 90 day kit they want people to use is $60. seems reasonable.
Just got our report back after testing for 3 months. We came in at 28.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #114
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were at 144, which is under the Health Canada recommended mitigation number. Not thrilled with that number but I don't think we're going to do anything about it.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 PM   #115
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
We were at 144, which is under the Health Canada recommended mitigation number. Not thrilled with that number but I don't think we're going to do anything about it.
I found it interesting that the threshold is 100 everywhere in the world.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #116
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

My test came back and the basement level measured 148 Bq/m3. Only reason we chose the basement is because the entertainment room and our gym is in the basement and as such we spend about two hours a day on average down there. This is in Garrison Green. Not high enough to be concerned about remediation, considering the bulk of our time is still spent on the higher floors.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #117
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread keeps getting bumped I wonder if I should test my basement.

Are there any signs that I should look for that tell me I should test?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #118
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there are signs you should test, you should probably move out of your house immediately.

But no, radon isn't something that is obvious without performing some sort of measurement, which is why I ordered the kit in the first place. It's stupidly easy. They send you a box that contains this little puck sealed in a bag of air, a registration key, and a return shipping label. Register the puck on the site, give them some details about your home, and then you can mount the puck somewhere in your home. They say that you should pick a spot where you spend a good deal of your time, not necessarily the majority of it, but a significant portion. For us, that was the basement, hanging from the ceiling. For homes with unfinished basements, that's usually the main floor, so you have to decide. Keep the box and the return label somewhere safe that it won't get thrown away.

Ninety days after you started the test, you can put the puck in the box, seal it up and slap the return label on it, and drop it into any Canada Post box. They e-mail you the reports in 2-3 weeks, and explain what they mean and where you home falls relative to the thresholds set by the W.H.O., Canadian government, etc.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #119
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bought one of those fancy high end meters a few years back and measured it for a year. I was at 80 well below concern.

If anyone wants to take it off my hands PM me. I think it was $200 but would part with it for $50 or something. Just sitting in my closet.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #120
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought I read somewhere the whole Radon craze was super overblown, but I can't seem to find the article.

Anyone remember anything like that or am I making it up?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote