Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-04-2019, 09:05 PM   #761
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So I setup a Chromecast for the in-laws awhile ago, and everything was fine until Shaw upgraded their modem to the Blue Curve one, looks like this

And now I can't get their Chromecast (gen 2) to connect at all. I've tried resetting it, going through the setup in Google Home which works fine, but then after the setup is complete the Chromecast just displays Connecting to Network and it never shows as connected in the Home app. I've tried it on both the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks with the same result. Some quick Google searches show a lot of other blue curve users having the same issue, but I haven't found any fixes. Anyone here happen to get Chromecast working with it?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #762
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So I setup a Chromecast for the in-laws awhile ago, and everything was fine until Shaw upgraded their modem to the Blue Curve one, looks like this

And now I can't get their Chromecast (gen 2) to connect at all. I've tried resetting it, going through the setup in Google Home which works fine, but then after the setup is complete the Chromecast just displays Connecting to Network and it never shows as connected in the Home app. I've tried it on both the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks with the same result. Some quick Google searches show a lot of other blue curve users having the same issue, but I haven't found any fixes. Anyone here happen to get Chromecast working with it?
Works fine for me, we used it last night and it picked up like nothing had happened. I did have major pixelation and sound issues on regular tv when we switched over which were baffling but we were running the cable through a surge protector. Once I by passed that those issues disappeared
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #763
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

Is the chromecast setup done through a phone app? I had issues with Echo and my thermostat they didn't like android but using my wifes phone connected with no issues.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #764
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freedom mobile is offering Shaw 100mps internet for $45/mo for customers for two years. Great deal. This is $30 off regular price/mo.

https://shop.shaw.ca/ShawFreedomOffer
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #765
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone else watch freerange tv through a browser on their PC? The quality is so terrible.
Doesn't matter what browser I use. It's like grainy 2009 quality. Its 2019...shouldnt I be able to get decent quality stream in this day and age? I dont remember Telus through a browser looking this poor.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #766
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Anyone else watch freerange tv through a browser on their PC? The quality is so terrible.
Doesn't matter what browser I use. It's like grainy 2009 quality. Its 2019...shouldnt I be able to get decent quality stream in this day and age? I dont remember Telus through a browser looking this poor.
Looks fine to me. Maybe you have other issues?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:14 AM   #767
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watch it on Chrome and it looks good.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #768
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Looks fine to me. Maybe you have other issues?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Everything else looks good...CNN, Twitch, Netflix, Youtube.

I find the app on my tablet starts out looking like garbage and over time the quality gets better.

Ill try on a few other computers and see what results I get.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #769
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How are people doing these days for pricing on SHAW? My 2 year value plan is coming up, so I thought I'd look at the new bundles to see if I could pick a starting point for negotiations, and I'm not impressed at all. I was paying $78/month first year and $98/month second year for Internet 150 (now 300) and Small TV Pick 4.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #770
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw is being very aggressive some areas and markets. I've had people show me 45 dollars for HS 300 on a 2 year contract, with a 250 one time credit. It's bananas.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #771
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can confirm Shaw is finally treating long time customers to deals. What probably would have been $240 for me 6 months ago is $162 now. Small TV, Internet 300, Phone and LD, Crave w/ HBO, AMC and timeshift. Looking through the channels there wasn't even much outside of small TV I cared about. It's a 2 year contract, but I sure as #### ain't going to Telus, so this works for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #772
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Can confirm Shaw is finally treating long time customers to deals. What probably would have been $240 for me 6 months ago is $162 now. Small TV, Internet 300, Phone and LD, Crave w/ HBO, AMC and timeshift. Looking through the channels there wasn't even much outside of small TV I cared about. It's a 2 year contract, but I sure as #### ain't going to Telus, so this works for me.
What did telus do to you if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #773
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back 15 or so years ago they called me, and offered to give me the same plan, but for $10 cheaper. So sure, sounds like a great deal. And it was, for one month, then it become $10 more expensive. So I called back. And they "fixed" it for one month. This continued for 8 or 9 months(an hour on the phone, every time-absolutely infuriating because every time they told me I wouldn't have to call back), then they refused to fix it anymore, so I was stuck paying more for the phone. So I switched to Shaw. Nothing like a year of lies to lose a customer.

Then, at our office, they were stealthily charging for dial up. I saw it on one bill about 8 years ago, I don't usually look at the bills, but noticed it. So I called and canceled. But! They were charging every other month, and it turns out were were paying for 2 separate dial up accounts, but I only noticed one due to this bill for 2 months, then switch to the other one, and bill that for 2 months shenanigans. They also sent us 4 bills a month, so it was really hard to decipher what was what for what month. And it turns out they never actually canceled it. So a few years later I noticed it was still there. This time when I called I was sent to a black hole, because they can't just remove it. One person actually admitted they can remove it in the system, but it won't actually be removed, because it's billed through another system. No, I need to talk to a department that doesn't have a phone number, and they can't transfer me to them but they'll call back! Sure, right. So about a month of this garbage, endless lies yadayada, before I got sick of it and emailed the VP of small business by guessing his email address. Finally, that got it sorted, and they were kind enough to refund 6 months. Thanks.

Then our phone system started dying, and I realized we were paying ungodly amounts. I switched to Shaw, they gave us a free phone system for a 5 year contract, and our bill went down by 2/3rds. They also charged ridiculous long distance rates, like $3 or $4 for some countries? I can't remember, it was nuts.

Their shared hosting is also pretty garbage, stuck on an ancient interface of cpannel. Oh ya, that reminds me! They had been billing us what I thought was an unreasonable amount for this, so I checked the online prices, asked why it was so much cheaper than what we were paying, and they said, "oh, yes, we can switch yo to that." No idea how long this new plan existed or why we weren't automatically switched. Just charging legacy chumps more, I guess.

Oh, and none of the phone numbers or support email links ever seem to work or go to the right place. They are all around miserable to deal with, and I would not voluntarily subject myself to more of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #774
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds pretty terrible.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #775
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worse than Hitler.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #776
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
How are people doing these days for pricing on SHAW? My 2 year value plan is coming up, so I thought I'd look at the new bundles to see if I could pick a starting point for negotiations, and I'm not impressed at all. I was paying $78/month first year and $98/month second year for Internet 150 (now 300) and Small TV Pick 4.
I'm paying $150 for Shaw 75 and the most basic tv plus sportsnet.
Currently on hold for the last 20 minutes to outright cancel tv.
I've called several times in the last 6 months to get that reduced, and they've basically told me to fist myself.

*Edit* after holding for 40 minutes they offered me basic tv plus internet 100 and free equipment rental for $100.

Last edited by Mass_nerder; 06-03-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #777
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The deal you get has a lot to do with your ability to access Telus Fibre

if you can't they know they have you by the short and curly's
Old 06-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #778
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I'm beginning to wonder if I really need Shaw, and their $140/month package. Anyone having luck with abandoning Shaw/Bell altogether and just streaming every show/game you'd like to watch?
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #779
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if I really need Shaw, and their $140/month package. Anyone having luck with abandoning Shaw/Bell altogether and just streaming every show/game you'd like to watch?
That's my concern - will I be able to reliably stream F1 on qualify and race days. And then hockey in the winter.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #780
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I am down to just internet and some streaming packages. I would guess under $80.00 a month and I have no issues. It can be a bit extra work though compared to just regular TV convenience
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote