Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default iPod Question(s)

My iPod Touch has been annoyingly stopping music and exiting out of the album display screen to the main menu, so I thought I would download the latest update to hopefully resolve the bug.

After taking forever to download the 180MB version 1.1.3 upgrade, iTunes tells me there has been an error loading the upgrade.

Now the iPod doesn't work at all.

When I reset the iPod the furthest I get is the screen telling me to plug the connecting cable in, whether I plug it in or not.

Brutal. What to do?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

check apples site / support forums, if this is a software problem there will be other people with the same problem and they *might* have a solution. If it is hardware, probably gonna have to take it in for warranty work.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like I am not the only one.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/12889/

This is why I hate downloading updates.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is this why iTunes keeps getting updated? Damn Touch. Leave my 5G Video alone!
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

180mb update for a device? Good lord! I think the total system footprint on my 3gen iPod is maybe 2mb.

Thankfully Apple assumes we all have high-bandwidth internet connections...
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

From reading the comments on that post, seems the best way to get the update to install is to reinstall itunes and then update. Some suggest an older version of itunes ( which doesnt make sense) but if you want to try one you can probably get the version you are looking for at Old Version Downloads - OldApps.com
Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You could try to force it into recovery mode (hold home + power, when the apple logo appears, release power but continue to hold home) and plug it into your computer. Itunes will open up, click on restore and pray.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
180mb update for a device? Good lord! I think the total system footprint on my 3gen iPod is maybe 2mb.

Thankfully Apple assumes we all have high-bandwidth internet connections...
That update includes the iPhone stuff as well, and rumour has it that it includes everything for the pending iPhone / touch SDK release, so that might be why it was so huge.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

iTunes 7.6 broke my iPhone.. I hate you Apple.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
That update includes the iPhone stuff as well, and rumour has it that it includes everything for the pending iPhone / touch SDK release, so that might be why it was so huge.
Yeah, I was just being curmudgeonly. 640k is enough for anyone.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been canceling those damn auto upgrades to iTunes and my iPod for this exact reason.
*#&%ing Apple.
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Fellas,

The other day my g/f purchased a bunch of songs from itunes, but bought them using my laptop which is synced to my ipod. Right noe we're about 2000 miles from her laptop with her library on it, but she needs these songs for a yoga course. Is there any way I can get the recently purchased songs out of my library and on to her ipod without having to erase all her music and syncing it to my library?

thks
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Fellas,

The other day my g/f purchased a bunch of songs from itunes, but bought them using my laptop which is synced to my ipod. Right noe we're about 2000 miles from her laptop with her library on it, but she needs these songs for a yoga course. Is there any way I can get the recently purchased songs out of my library and on to her ipod without having to erase all her music and syncing it to my library?

thks
Unfortunately, no I don't think it's possible. Her iPod is mated directly to her computer/iTunes library. In order to add music to the iPod, it has to be done using her computer.

If the music bought was of the unprotected variety in the iTunes Plus store, then you could possible do the following:
- use Sharepod to extract all music on her iPod onto your computer.
- add the purchased music to the extracted music
- use another program to load up her iPod with music (WinAmp maybe?).

Unfortunately this plan means her iPod gets reformatted the next time she plugs it back into her computer...

This is a drawback to going the iPod route.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
This is a drawback to going the iPod route.
Actually it's a drawback of going the iTunes route. Many iPod fans happily manage their devices and transfer/purchase music without the constant headaches and bloat associated with iTunes.
LeftWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
@theCBE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone have an alternative program that works well instead of itunes? specifically with the touch. I used to use a winamp plugin with my 4g years ago.. and with my shuffle using itunes was fine. But now that I have the touch and am constantly changing whats loaded on there I hate itunes with a passion all over again. I have heard yammipod is good .. but I'm not to sure how well it works with the touch.
@theCBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #16
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I hacked my iTouch. I don't even use it for playing music anymore, it's now a little tiny iMac that i carry around with me.

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @theCBE View Post
Anyone have an alternative program that works well instead of itunes? specifically with the touch. I used to use a winamp plugin with my 4g years ago.. and with my shuffle using itunes was fine. But now that I have the touch and am constantly changing whats loaded on there I hate itunes with a passion all over again. I have heard yammipod is good .. but I'm not to sure how well it works with the touch.
I looked into it a bit and found an app that will allow you to transfer files between the touch and a PC, but nothing that will allow you to update the song database... yet.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #18
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Fellas,

thks
Just drag and drop them onto ANY Ipod using itunes. If you dont want to sync all her stuff off her ipod first, just turn OFF autosyncing.

I am amazed the anti itunes faction still uses the myth and people still believe it.

You need to figure out how to use software before you can go about claiming it wont do the things you want it to.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
You need to figure out how to use software before you can go about claiming it wont do the things you want it to.
You figure that the large anti-iTunes faction is basically a bunch of people that can't figure out how to use it? Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Just drag and drop them onto ANY Ipod using itunes. If you dont want to sync all her stuff off her ipod first, just turn OFF autosyncing.
I believe that Tron's having is with the problem is not with multiple iPods (not sure what the reference to 'ANY iPod' meant), it's with the iTunes library that only exists on a machine that they don't have access to (it's 2000 miles away). Maybe it's just me not knowing how to use the software, but if you use your iPod on ANY other machine then the one you typically use to sync with, then iTunes' *default* functionality asks you to erase all of your iPod's contents before sync'ing any new content.

I'm not sure why it's preferable for iTunes to only sync using one machine instead of any machine you happen to want to use, but it's likely my lack of understanding that's clouding my judgment.

Last edited by LeftWing; 02-01-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #20
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWing View Post
You figure that the large anti-iTunes faction is basically a bunch of people that can't figure out how to use it? Interesting.
Well at least 2 times in 2 threads people have claimed that the software couldnt do things and it sucked because of it, when it could actually do the things they wanted it to, however they obviously hadn't figured out how

Quote:
I believe that Tron's having is with the problem is not with multiple iPods (not sure what the reference to 'ANY iPod' meant), it's with the iTunes library that only exists on a machine that they don't have access to (it's 2000 miles away).
If his problem was the fact that he did not have any of the music files to put on the ipod unless he went back home, then I was mistaken and of course what I suggest isnt possible. I was refering to the fact that no matter who's ipod it is, if you plug it into a computer with itunes you can use itunes to transfer music to it. It doesnt have to be one unique ipod/itunes set. I can use my ipod with my sister in laws computer ( and library) and she can use her ipod with my computer ( and my music library)
Quote:
Maybe it's just me not knowing how to use the software, but if you use your iPod on ANY other machine then the one you typically use to sync with, then iTunes' *default* functionality asks you to erase all of your iPod's contents before sync'ing any new content.
Yes default is to autosync, but you can click disable autosync in the preferences menu. The claim made by another poster in the thread was that it wasn't possible.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, and had i not been as rushed I could have made a more informative post, since in retrospect it did seem kinda rude and unclear.

Last edited by Rathji; 02-01-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote