Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2018, 04:04 AM   #1
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default This Is Us (TV Show NBC) *BEWARE SPOILERS*

Surprised there isn't a thread about this show (maybe I didn't look hard enough).

That being said, my wife got me into this show start of season 2 and we played a lot of catch up to start watching it live a few weeks ago.

The story, the acting (especially Milo and Mandy Moore), and the sheer emotions it forces people to go through are out of this world.

I'll keep things in spoiler tags but given the importance of last night's episode thought I'd open a thread to discuss.

Spoiler!

Anyone else surprised they were able to edit/distribute so quickly to get footage from the actual Superbowl game into some scenes? Crazy.

Last edited by flamesrule_kipper34; 02-05-2018 at 03:01 PM.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my wife and I have also gotten into this show as well. I find it really cool how they time shift between the current, the past and last night, they slipped into the future and I did not even see that coming.

I find the show very well written and acted.

I thought the superbowl commentary was a little generic and they likely just had to dub that in as of two weeks ago - but what do I know about how tv shows are made.

to me right now, this is one of the two best shows on tv (the other being law and order: svu)
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked how they handled it. It wasn't a big show or some plot twist to keep viewers interested.
Spoiler!

When Randall was giving that speech about unexpected loss and how its like lightning strikes of pain. Its 100% true.

If you're a fan of the score from the show.

Quote:
@SiddKhoslaMusic Feb 2 More Excited to announce that my original score from @NBCThisIsUs is out now. 23 tracks from season one and two. Thank you to our amazing fans. #ThisIsUs https://ume.lnk.to/ThisIsUsScore

Last edited by Otto-matic; 02-05-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #4
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I liked how they handled it. It wasn't a big show or some plot twist to keep viewers interested.
Spoiler!

When Randall was giving that speech about unexpected loss and how its like lightning strikes of pain. Its 100% true.

If you're a fan of the score from the show.
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

This show keeps surprising me

Spoiler!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
This show keeps surprising me

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Old 02-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am going to dispense with the spoiler tags, because it is just a tv show, not a movie you are paying $20 to see.....so if you don't want to see spoilers, go back now

i heard jack call to rebecca when she was at the vending machine, and i too thought he puzzled reaction to the about jack was almost puzzling and chuckled a bit and i wonder how they handle the casting of young and old characters, as to me, the adults look like the kids a little bit.

i wonder if the doctor who helped deliver the kids will make a comeback in the next episode.

what actor played the doctor that delivered the news to rebecca, as i can't place him
Old 02-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

i heard jack call to rebecca when she was at the vending machine, and i too thought he puzzled reaction to the about jack was almost puzzling and chuckled a bit and i wonder how they handle the casting of young and old characters, as to me, the adults look like the kids a little bit.
Yes... me too...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
i wonder if the doctor who helped deliver the kids will make a comeback in the next episode.
He does... they showed a clip of it.

Normally I don't care much for schmaltzy adult dramas like this (wasn't a fan of thirtysomethinging, Party of Five, etc. etc.) but this one is really well done. The cast is so superb from top to bottom. The first season was all Sterling K. Brown this season really gave Moore and Hartley some good scenes to chew.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:12 PM   #10
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like they've just given up on old Mandy's makeup... but she knocked it out of the park in that scene with Miguel in the driveway. Great acting.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:39 AM   #11
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Seems like they've just given up on old Mandy's makeup... but she knocked it out of the park in that scene with Miguel in the driveway. Great acting.
???
Are you confusing which year that scene was in? It was 1998, no need for old make up.

Last edited by craigwd; 02-06-2018 at 08:44 AM.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:43 AM   #12
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
What are people's thoughts on this? Flashforwards a part of this,
or one off (though I think they did one small flashfoward earlier)?
Sterling Brown tweeted another pic of him in old make up so there might be another future scene coming up.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

what I find really cool about the show is the whole time shifting and how the past influences the characters today.

in the last episode where that showed that boy being ready to be adopted and you think he is going to go to to randall's house, and then we find out that the social worker is the older tess, I thought that was absolutely brilliant writing
Old 02-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #14
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
what I find really cool about the show is the whole time shifting and how the past influences the characters today.

in the last episode where that showed that boy being ready to be adopted and you think he is going to go to to randall's house, and then we find out that the social worker is the older tess, I thought that was absolutely brilliant writing
Totally agreed. Not that the two shows are similar in most regards, but the last show I remember really doing that character development that well and in a similar way was Lost.

Of course Lost got off tangent and things started going into a different direction altogether but the rich back stories was fantastic.

With regards to This Is Us though, I find myself way more enthralled with the flashbacks than the present characters. I wonder if that's been primarily due to wanting to find out about Jack's death and I wonder how that'll be after the next funeral episode.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many families are now actually planning proper fire escapes/protocol & checking fire alarms after the last two episodes.

I know a lot of people say he shouldn't have gone back for the dog/items but if I was in his shoes I would probably have done the same. I couldn't ever leave my dogs behind and in the moment I probably wouldn't be thinking straight to make that decision.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #16
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know much about this show, beyond it's got an annoyingly catchy 'commercial music' that, if I hear it while watching tv, can't seem to get out of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I wonder how many families are now actually planning proper fire escapes/protocol & checking fire alarms after the last two episodes.
Sadly, far too few ever do. Most think it'll never happen to them, and never plan for it (or practice it if they do have a plan) so when something does happen, no one's ready.

Quote:
I know a lot of people say he shouldn't have gone back for the dog/items but if I was in his shoes I would probably have done the same. I couldn't ever leave my dogs behind and in the moment I probably wouldn't be thinking straight to make that decision.
I have 3 cats. Their carriers are kept throughout the house. The biggest (all 3 cats could be uncomfortably crammed into it) is kept on the main floor. The two smaller carriers (2 cats could be crammed into one of them) are kept on the basement floor. They are kept close by the doors. If we need to get out of the house as fast as possible, the plan is to grab the cats, stuff them into the carriers and get out.

As to our 'stuff'...it's just stuff. It can be replaced, there are no plans to get 'stuff' out of the house if we need to evac in a hurry.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #17
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
???
Are you confusing which year that scene was in? It was 1998, no need for old make up.
Huh? No. I'm talking about 2 different things, the fact that her old makeup is looking less convincing than it did initially, and also that she performed well in that scene.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #18
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Sterling Brown tweeted another pic of him in old make up so there might be another future scene coming up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Huh? No. I'm talking about 2 different things, the fact that her old makeup is looking less convincing than it did initially, and also that she performed well in that scene.
I think he's saying what I'm thinking...and "old" Mandy Moore is looking increasingly hotter and hotter
Old 02-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #19
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well tonight's episode hit the feels again. I need this break from the show.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:16 AM   #20
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a child of a lost parent at a young age, this is hard to watch. I haven't cried so hard since my parents passed.
calgarybornnraised is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post: