Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #201
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
In a weird way you made the exact argument you’re arguing against. They got saves and we didn’t. We need saves. Yes I’m blaming the goalie

I think it’s just about accepting Smith for what he is. He’s an average to below average starter in the NHL.

Last night was a great hockey game, and it was tightly contested. Not a lot of open ice, just two good teams applying pressure and forcing mistakes. At the end of the day, we lost a 1 goal game (ignoring the empty netter). I think the difference between Smith and Rinne/Saros was 1 goal last night. The Preds won the night due to some timely saves from their goaltender(s) that our goaltender couldn’t provide.

In a league and conference this tight, we’ll lose some games like we lost last night and it’s okay. A hard fought loss that I’m happy to watch. The team battled last night.

I will say if this team wants to take that next step into the same space the Predators occupy year in and year out, the Flames need better goaltending. I hope they find it somewhere along the road this season.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #202
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Considering game situation and player, I absolutely think any NHL team expects their goalie to make that save on Zac Rinaldo on a 2 on 1. It's the 3rd period and the Flames have fought back twice to tie it. Andersson played it right and took away the pass because goalies are expected to win on a two-on-one by cutting down the angle and taking the shot away. Smith was deep in his net. He's always deep in his net. I can't be the only person who has noticed this. Just didn't measure up when his team needed. I don't see how else you can analyze it. Bad pinch by Hanifin too. But if you're not concerned about Smith's play last night and in general, I think you have your head in the sand.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #203
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith needs to be better but this loss is not on him. I was more mad at the late non calls and it seems Nashville is the new Detroit circa 2006-2015 because they get away with murder. TJ needs to be better. I really wanted that 5-2 record
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #204
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nashville is a presidents trophy contender...no shame splitting a two game set with them especially winning by three goals and losing by one*

The trick is the Flames need to keep up this level of play against teams like the Rangers
Old 10-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #205
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Overall good game. My disappointment on the go ahead goal was earlier, when Hanifin made a reasonable pinch and the forward didn’t cover behind him. The flames generally have been doing a really good job if this, but this time the forward (might’ve been Bennett) went right into the scrum on the boards instead of staying below the puck and backing up Hanifin.

That was the mistake that cause the 2 on 1 in a tie game.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #206
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Overall good game. My disappointment on the go ahead goal was earlier, when Hanifin made a reasonable pinch and the forward didn’t cover behind him. The flames generally have been doing a really good job if this, but this time the forward (might’ve been Bennett) went right into the scrum on the boards instead of staying below the puck and backing up Hanifin.

Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #207
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

Bennett was already deep in the zone.

Hanifin and Ryan stepped in at the same time - one or the other should have, not both. Miscommunication between Ryan and Hanifin led to the odd-man rush the other way.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #208
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
also to note 5 more goals than any poster on this forum probably. It's easy to dog on players as being "no good" when they can do things we only dream of being able to do.
They also don’t pay me 5 million a year .

If Mike Smiths accountant screws up and he goes to jail, you think the argument of “we’ll hes a better accountant then Mike Smith could dream of being” makes any sense
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #209
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
also to note 5 more goals than any poster on this forum probably. It's easy to dog on players as being "no good" when they can do things we only dream of being able to do.
I hate when people say this. We’re all aware that Rinaldo would dummy any of us at hockey. That doesn’t mean we, as paying customers, aren’t allowed to criticize his play compared to the rest of his competition.

I assume you’ve never once ragged on a professional athlete then?
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #210
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think it’s just about accepting Smith for what he is. He’s an average to below average starter in the NHL.

Last night was a great hockey game, and it was tightly contested. Not a lot of open ice, just two good teams applying pressure and forcing mistakes. At the end of the day, we lost a 1 goal game (ignoring the empty netter). I think the difference between Smith and Rinne/Saros was 1 goal last night. The Preds won the night due to some timely saves from their goaltender(s) that our goaltender couldn’t provide.

In a league and conference this tight, we’ll lose some games like we lost last night and it’s okay. A hard fought loss that I’m happy to watch. The team battled last night.

I will say if this team wants to take that next step into the same space the Predators occupy year in and year out, the Flames need better goaltending. I hope they find it somewhere along the road this season.
I completely agree.

But I think we need to do something about it ASAP. Go get bobrovsky or something. We’re a good team that can skate with anyone, but without a true top 10 goalie we will never be a threat. Smith needs to go if he’s going to only be average/below average.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #211
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Thought the Flames played well enough to win last night. Tkachuk and Bennett had those glorious opportunities that just missed. I think the Flames took over as the game went on.

Smith was, as im sure has been mentioned, not very good. Not sure if he can really be better as I think father time has caught up to him. Thought the awkward double pad stack attempt on Nasvhille's thrid goal looked really uncomfortable and looked like a goalie fighting it.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #212
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone saying Smith should've had that Rinaldo GWG is out to lunch. That was a perfect shot just right under the bar.

Look, yes Rinaldo is most certainly garbage at NHL hockey, a known very dirty player, and one of the worst hockey players to ever grace the NHL and really shouldn't be in the NHL, and I'm a huge basher of him myself, but sometimes even the most inept of NHLers can make the perfect shot or a great play once in a blue moon. It happens.

Last edited by Karl; 10-21-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #213
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

1995 playoffs, Game 7, Flames lose again in double OT. I forget who was in net for the Sharks, Wade Flaherty or Arturs Irbe, whoever it was, they make this unbelievable save off the knob of their stick.

Geez, I can't even remember who took that shot now, Theo Fleury, Joe Nieuwendyk or was it Robert Reichel?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #214
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's a bad look when you're on the power play with less than 10 minutes left in the third, down by goal and your freaking GOALIE ices the puck.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #215
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
1995 playoffs, Game 7, Flames lose again in double OT. I forget who was in net for the Sharks, Wade Flaherty or Arturs Irbe, whoever it was, they make this unbelievable save off the knob of their stick.

Geez, I can't even remember who took that shot now, Theo Fleury, Joe Nieuwendyk or was it Robert Reichel?

I believe it was Irbe.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #216
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post

Wade Flahtery who made 56 saves on 60 shots in the game.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #217
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
I think his defensive IQ has taken a step back. He wanders out of position and opts to take low effort swipes at the puck nowadays.
Yeah, maybe. It's weird, it's not something that happens to players over time normally. Kind of the same as the sloppiness, a player with such a high level of routine performance usually just isn't sloppy like that.

If I had to take a guess as to why, I'd speculate about lack of sleep or something. Can make a person unfocused and mistake prone. Five month old baby, sick wife... Who knows.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote