Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #61
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Bennett is actually a fairly important part of this team as he fills a role that no other player can seem to fill. Hathaway has come the closest this year because he was able to contribute a few points but other than those two guys, there's really nobody else on the team that is consistently physical, can also contribute a little bit offensively, and is a PITA physically to play against from the opposition's perspective.

I'd be all for something longer term capped at 3.5 but as many have said, Bennett's going to want to give himself the chance to earn more so I think it'll be a 2 year deal max.
Matthew Tkachuk?
Old 05-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #62
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Matthew Tkachuk?
Does he ever lay anyone out with hits or punch someone in the face? Bennett is much more of a new age goon where Tkachuk is more of a pest.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #63
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Does he ever lay anyone out with hits or punch someone in the face? Bennett is much more of a new age goon where Tkachuk is more of a pest.
Uhh...well let's ask Drew Doughty shall we? MT lives rent free in that brain from an elbow 2 years ago.

MT 3rd on the team in hits....17 fewer than Sam.

Does MT fight as often? No, thank goodness. He is a MUCH better player and needs to be on the ice, though he will throw down when needed.

Bennett is good at these things, no question, and the team lacks what he brings throughout the lineup as well. That doesnt make Sam superhero fighting guy though. Just means BT needs to find some more of it at a reasonable cost.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #64
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Matthew Tkachuk?

I don't know what was going on in his head in the playoffs. I mean he should be solidly effective in the playoffs as the physical stuff goes up. But he was good in game one and then he was it seemed completely dis-engaged after that. In his first playoffs, it was similar but could be forgiven because he was a rookie.

Out of most of the Flames out there in the first round, he disappointed me the most, Not Johnny or Sean or even Gio. But Mathew, because in a time of the season that should be made for him to shine . . . he was just there.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #65
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't know what was going on in his head in the playoffs. I mean he should be solidly effective in the playoffs as the physical stuff goes up. But he was good in game one and then he was it seemed completely dis-engaged after that. In his first playoffs, it was similar but could be forgiven because he was a rookie.

Out of most of the Flames out there in the first round, he disappointed me the most, Not Johnny or Sean or even Gio. But Mathew, because in a time of the season that should be made for him to shine . . . he was just there.
Agreed. Tkachuk is gonna be paid for a reputation as a pest or tough guy to play against.

He certainly was anything but for large stretches of the season, I frequently saw him turn early instead of finishing checks, and in the playoffs it showed... he didnt step up and wasn't engaged. Maybe he isn't fast enough to do it?
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #66
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Mat wasn't playing with the Stone hands twins he would have set up two OT winners and this convo would be much different
Old 05-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #67
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like what Bennett brings, I just don't think that's worth more than 2.5m until he can step up his offensive game. No Tyler you don't let him walk, that's silly
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #68
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

For sure....all entirely accurate.

He is only 21 years old though and may need some more time to figure out the change of pace the playoffs bring.

He is just to smart not to figure things out IMO...my only "scare" with him is what he is going to be paid.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #69
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

3x8
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #70
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think that Bennett has been plagued by the Flames inability to give him a more clearly defined role. I think Peters was able to this a bit better this past year, and hopefully Bennett can take it to another level. I think there is a spot in the top 6 to be had if he can rediscover the skills he flashed in his rookie season.

It's between the ears for Bennett, does he want to be a third line guy who runs around hitting everything like Cal Clutterbuck, or can he find a way to be that agitating physical type, but add some skill into the mix and be something more.

I think for that reason another 2 year deal is what him and the Flames should do. Yes it would be great to rope him in and get him on a value deal for term. But if he was to find that scoring form and be a 25 goal and 60 point guy who can play that gritty style...you can live with paying a 26 year old version of that player a few more dollars on term with some certainty to fall back on.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #71
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
3x8
I am a big Bennett fan, but not sure he is worth 8 million a year yet.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #72
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I think that Bennett has been plagued by the Flames inability to give him a more clearly defined role. I think Peters was able to this a bit better this past year, and hopefully Bennett can take it to another level. I think there is a spot in the top 6 to be had if he can rediscover the skills he flashed in his rookie season.

It's between the ears for Bennett, does he want to be a third line guy who runs around hitting everything like Cal Clutterbuck, or can he find a way to be that agitating physical type, but add some skill into the mix and be something more.

I think for that reason another 2 year deal is what him and the Flames should do. Yes it would be great to rope him in and get him on a value deal for term. But if he was to find that scoring form and be a 25 goal and 60 point guy who can play that gritty style...you can live with paying a 26 year old version of that player a few more dollars on term with some certainty to fall back on.

What on earth has Bennett shown since his draft year that would lead anyone to believe he’s capable of this?

Can’t it just be that Bennett isn’t that good and should be paid as such?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #73
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
What on earth has Bennett shown since his draft year that would lead anyone to believe he’s capable of this?

Did you just choose to ignore the part about his showing during his rookie year? Bennett should not be paid to his potential but that potential is there still.He has all the tools to be an impact player, he just needs to clean out the toolbox GG filled with a pile of junk.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #74
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post

In his first actual pro rookie season when he was playing with Backlund and Frolik as a 19 year old he was reasonably productive. It was after they moved him to Center that his production dropped off.

Elias Lindholm who is a year and a half older and has played 2 more full seasons than Bennett in the NHL just upped his previous career high by 33 points.

I still think that Bennett does have the skills to put up that type of production. Hence why I would be offering him a two year deal. If he continues to produce as a 26-30 point player and can't force his way up the lineup...than yeah maybe it's time to consider moving on for both parties two years from now. But I'm not so willing to do that with a player who hasn't turned 23 years old yet.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 05-10-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #75
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
In his first actual pro rookie season when he was playing with Backlund and Frolik as a 19 year old he was reasonably productive. It was after they moved him to Center that his production dropped off.

Elias Lindholm who is a year and a half older and has played 2 more full seasons than Bennett in the AHL just upped his previous career high by 33 points.

I still think that Bennett does have the skills to put up that type of production. Hence why I would be offering him a two year deal. If he continues to produce as a 26-30 point player and can't force his way up the lineup...than yeah maybe it's time to consider moving on for both parties two years from now. But I'm not so willing to do that with a player who hasn't turned 23 years old yet.
Does a 2 year deal not take him to UFA though?

Has to be a 1 or 3+ year deal imo.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #76
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Does a 2 year deal not take him to UFA though?

Has to be a 1 or 3+ year deal imo.
Isn't he that rare situation where he has had 5 years of contracts but only 4 accrued seasons. If Im not mistaken a player has to play 41 games of pro hockey the first year to accrue a season of service time. So in two years he would be 25 with 6 seasons of service.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #77
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I am a big Bennett fan, but not sure he is worth 8 million a year yet.
...8 years
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #78
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't he that rare situation where he has had 5 years of contracts but only 4 accrued seasons. If Im not mistaken a player has to play 41 games of pro hockey the first year to accrue a season of service time. So in two years he would be 25 with 6 seasons of service.
Hmmm not sure on that one.

I assumed he burnt year 1 of his elc when he played that 1 game and then the playoffs, and 4 more since which would equal 5....and he needs 7 to reach UFA.

I could be completely out to lunch on that though.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #79
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

3.5 x 7.5

Last edited by Hey Connor, It's Mess; 05-10-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #80
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
I really like how eloquently you addressed the post.

What happened to this place?
Uh oh, is "silly" a big bad word for you?

You're welcome to eloquently address Tyler's post if you'd like. There's no rule saying every reply must be a thoughtful essay.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote