Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #61
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
I'm not saying "mad" but if I'm a GM with a ton of defensemen and I have a couple teams calling me with offers, assuming the offers are roughly the same, I'm going to trade a D man to the team that didn't just claim my goalie.

Similarly, if I'm trying to convince a team to trade me one of their defensemen and that team puts a goalie on waivers, unless he is an obvious improvement over what I have in net, I don't think I'm going to claim him.

I'm not saying players should never be claimed or that GMs should always worry about hurting the feeling of other GMs. But it's a 31 team league and when you're looking to upgrade your team you don't have a lot of options out there.

Like I said, it's the same reason why there are rarely ever offer sheets in the league. GMs remember that stuff.
Remember when Burke lashed out non-stop at Edmonton for the Penner offer sheet? Certainly didn't do Edmonton's reputation any favours...
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #62
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
Remember when Burke lashed out non-stop at Edmonton for the Penner offer sheet? Certainly didn't do Edmonton's reputation any favours...
Exactly. Burke was furious and Lowe's response was "There's almost some insinuation from managers that because we're friends we shouldn't be doing this to one another. I think our responsibility is not to one another, but is to our fan base and our ownership."

Look, I'm not saying GMs constantly tiptoe around each other. Lowe was willing to piss off Burke in order to get Penner from the Ducks. The Flyers tried to offer sheet Shea Weber and Poile had to match it. Montreal was willing to grab Paul Byron when we put him on waivers.

All I'm saying is I'm sure GMs consider the consequences when deciding to offer sheet a player or grab someone off waivers. And if you're hoping to make a deal with Vegas for one of their players maybe you think twice before you grab Pickard off waivers.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #63
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino View Post
It would be a good move for them. Thanks for your insightful contribution though.
Whooosh! No kidding.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #64
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pickard traded to Leafs for Lindberg and 2018 6th rd pick
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #65
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

^

@PierreVLeBrun
Vegas had tried all week to move Pickard, but after clearing waivers he was more desirable as he could be sent to AHL by his new team

@LeafsPR
Pickard has been assigned to the @TorontoMarlies of the American Hockey League (AHL).
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #66
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A contract spot is worth 3rd or 4th line center and a 6th round pick?

Wtf toronto
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #67
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
I wonder how much politics plays into things like this?

If you're trying to make a deal with GMGM involving one of his many defensemen do you claim Pickard or would you be worried that would negatively affect the deal.

There are only 31 GMs in the league and they tend to remember how everyone else acts. This is why we don't see many offer sheets in the league.
I was listening to the Fan a few minutes ago and they played a clip of Friedman talking about how the deals Vegas made in June were coming back to bite them. At that point they made deals that said they would make a deal to pick a player, but in that event those teams couldn't make deals with anyone else. It looked genius at the time...but now teams are remembering that and not helping them work through their jam as easily either.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #68
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO Pickard may be better than Lack. However, one of them would have to be demoted and the Flames are overcrowded at goal in the minors as it is.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #69
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I was listening to the Fan a few minutes ago and they played a clip of Friedman talking about how the deals Vegas made in June were coming back to bite them. At that point they made deals that said they would make a deal to pick a player, but in that event those teams couldn't make deals with anyone else. It looked genius at the time...but now teams are remembering that and not helping them work through their jam as easily either.
Exactly. You need a dance partner if you want to make a trade. Pissing off your fellow GMs isn't a great way to do that.