Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #21
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Lol.:: I'd take Pirri, can't make Florida or VGK but he would be a good fit for the Flames while we can't find room for Lazar ATM.

Lol, I'd take colborne over Brouwer but Colborne is cut by one of the weakest teams in the league...

Brouwer, albeit overpaid and slightly underperformed last season is still better than Colborne.

Pirri is on a team carousel over the last 3 years and can't hold a spot but he's a better option?

Ugh..
To be fair the guy we wanted to replace with Pirri was Tanner Glass or Freddie Hamilton - so it's not like peope were saying to put him on the first line.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #22
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol.:: I'd take Pirri, can't make Florida or VGK but he would be a good fit for the Flames while we can't find room for Lazar ATM.

Lol, I'd take colborne over Brouwer but Colborne is cut by one of the weakest teams in the league...

Brouwer, albeit overpaid and slightly underperformed last season is still better than Colborne.

Pirri is on a team carousel over the last 3 years and can't hold a spot but he's a better option?

Ugh..
I think you are grossly over-stating the facts when you say Brouwer only "slightly underperformed" last year.

Mr. Physical presence was absent all year
Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #23
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Joe Colborne was a very frustrating player to watch for a multitude of reasons, but he deserves a "The Shift" for his work starting at 17:23

Just awesome work
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #24
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think a Pirri - Jankowski - Brouwer/Lazar would be an elite fourth line

Trade Stajan to Pittsburgh for picks and demote Glass/Freddie and Hathaway
Old 10-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #25
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
To be fair the guy we wanted to replace with Pirri was Tanner Glass or Freddie Hamilton - so it's not like peope were saying to put him on the first line.
Tanner Glass has earned it and has a track record of being an important checker on some deep teams that took runs at the cup... but Pirri is the better option? Okay..

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I think you are grossly over-stating the facts when you say Brouwer only "slightly underperformed" last year.

I think you grossly over-expected from Brouwer last season. The department where he underperformed was in the physicality department, what more would you expect? 50 pts out of the guy? So yeah, he slightly underperformed.
He's not a pinball like some nor a wrecking ball like others. He's a big body checker who is positiinally sound.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #26
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He was off his points average by about 10. Goals about the same, or less.

As for physical play, I had thought he was more of a big guy who could get to the net, as opposed to a Bollig type. In any event, that broken finger affected physical play, too, not that he lived up to expectations. His PMs were halved, if that's an indication.

I'm prepared to see what he can do this year before writing him off.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #27
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I really did think he would find another level after scoring that Hat Trick in game 1.
One could argue that he did.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #28
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Trade Stajan to Pittsburgh for picks ...
How much cap are you willing to retain?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #29
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think a Pirri - Jankowski - Brouwer/Lazar would be an elite fourth line
If so, Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer is even more elite, since Stajan > Pirri.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #30
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was expecting a guy who could play in our top 6, finish his checks and put a glove in the face - and more - to anyone who was taking shots at Gaudreau.

Brouwer vs Anaheim in the regular season and playoffs was akin to Kari Eloranta vs the Oilers
Old 10-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #31
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pirri had what must be the best Cy Young season ever.

In 2014-2015, he had 22 goals and 2 assists. How is that even possible?
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #32
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised seeing Wiercioch on waivers. Big-body, decent stats for a 3rd pairing defenseman.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 10-04-2017 at 12:24 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #33
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tanner Glass has earned it and has a track record of being an important checker on some deep teams that took runs at the cup... but Pirri is the better option? Okay..
No - it comes down to different priorities for the 4th line.

The organization wants toughness, grit, and veterans. Hence it being some combo of Glass, Brouwer, Stajan, Hathaway.

I would prefer a more offensive 4th line that can take advantage of other teams 4th lines - while also using sheltered minutes to bring Jankowski in to the lineup.

Hence Pirri-Jankowski-Brouwer - because when it comes down to being better in the offensive zone Pirri > Glass.

To be fair to what another poster just posted it's probably a mute point because Stajan - Jankowski - Brouwer would be even better than with Pirri. The team just has to show comfort with moving Stajan to the wing.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #34
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If so, Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer is even more elite, since Stajan > Pirri.
Pirri > Glass
Janko >= Stajan

Leaning >, but I know that will trigger some of you
Old 10-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #35
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I was expecting a guy who could play in our top 6, finish his checks and put a glove in the face - and more - to anyone who was taking shots at Gaudreau.

Brouwer vs Anaheim in the regular season and playoffs was akin to Kari Eloranta vs the Oilers
But that right there is the issue with your expectations... Brouwer has never played top 6 with the exception of in Stl. during injuries filling in on spot Duty.

I don't know why anyone would think he's a top 6 guy with the Flames..
Old 10-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #36
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I am surprised seeing Wiercioch on waivers. Big-body, decent stats for a 3rd pairing defenseman.
Agreed, and really cheap. It probably goes without saying but it'd be much better to have him playing on the third pairing than Matt Bartkowski.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #37
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
No - it comes down to different priorities for the 4th line.

The organization wants toughness, grit, and veterans. Hence it being some combo of Glass, Brouwer, Stajan, Hathaway.

I would prefer a more offensive 4th line that can take advantage of other teams 4th lines - while also using sheltered minutes to bring Jankowski in to the lineup.

Hence Pirri-Jankowski-Brouwer - because when it comes down to being better in the offensive zone Pirri > Glass.

To be fair to what another poster just posted it's probably a mute point because Stajan - Jankowski - Brouwer would be even better than with Pirri. The team just has to show comfort with moving Stajan to the wing.

Regardless who's on that 4th line, if the Flames are depending on the 4th line to provide offence, then we're in for a long season.

The Flames need that 4th line to crash and bang or atleast play responsibly in their own end against other teams mid 6 lines, for the most part.

Edit: didn't mean to quote KC again
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pirri > Glass
Janko >= Stajan

Is Pirri better than Glass at what Glass is supposed to do?

Anyway the point was that if you are looking to create an "elite 4th line" by adding Pirri, you could do that without adding him, with parts you have now, which would be the line I described.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #39
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Is Pirri better than Glass at what Glass is supposed to do?

Anyway the point was that if you are looking to create an "elite 4th line" by adding Pirri, you could do that without adding him, with parts you have now, which would be the line I described.
Stajan/Janko/Brouwer is also an elite fourth line, as long as Brouwer is playing motivated, trying to engage physical contact every now and then and being strong on the cycle
Old 10-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #40
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Pirri > Glass
Janko >= Stajan

What makes you think Pirri > Glass for a grinding 4th line role? Have you watched him? Pirri is nothing special, he's failed to win himself a role in multiple organizations now.

Why do people think random guys who can't make other teams are upgrades? Nothing about Pirri's career suggests he's a player we should be interested in. He's not good enough to win a scoring role and his game isn't good for a grinding role.

Some serious grass is greener syndrome going on with you Love. Pirri is not good.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote