Old 06-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #202
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
That's not an unreasonable move, depending on the contract
Agreed.

If he had 1 or 2 years left right now @ $1.5-2.0 million I have no doubt in my mind that's who Vegas takes without hesitating for a second.

If they offer him that, I think he probably takes it seeing how his off-season went last year.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #203
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
I would be pretty shocked if Vegas gambles an expansion draft pick on a player who had a terrible season due to substance abuse issues, and aside from that has proven literally nothing at the NHL level. I know we are all pulling for Emile, but if you have a one chance shot to take a player for free from an organization, I think you go for a far surer thing.
You're probably right. But on the other hand, Vegas is an expansion team with no expectations, little scrutiny, and a couple years of honeymoon phase ahead of you. They'll probably get some decent players and some good vets for leadership from other teams. Would they pick a slightly overpaid Brouwer, an older Stajan or maybe swing for the fences with a guy with a bunch of upside like Poirier? They need to stock their system too so at it's worst they would be taking a decent AHL player with a lot of potential upside.

I personally think that Brouwer will have a better season than last and that Poirier will get back on track. So, I'm hoping they pick Stajan and open up a spot for Jankowski.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #204
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
I would be pretty shocked if Vegas gambles an expansion draft pick on a player who had a terrible season due to substance abuse issues, and aside from that has proven literally nothing at the NHL level. I know we are all pulling for Emile, but if you have a one chance shot to take a player for free from an organization, I think you go for a far surer thing.
"Surer thing" such as who for example?
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #205
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Brouwer or Stajan.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #206
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Almost everybody on our exposed list is more of a sure thing than Poirier.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #207
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
You're probably right. But on the other hand, Vegas is an expansion team with no expectations, little scrutiny, and a couple years of honeymoon phase ahead of you. They'll probably get some decent players and some good vets for leadership from other teams. Would they pick a slightly overpaid Brouwer, an older Stajan or maybe swing for the fences with a guy with a bunch of upside like Poirier? They need to stock their system too so at it's worst they would be taking a decent AHL player with a lot of potential upside.

I personally think that Brouwer will have a better season than last and that Poirier will get back on track. So, I'm hoping they pick Stajan and open up a spot for Jankowski.
Seems like they're already going to be taking on some hefty contracts from other teams around the league in return for compensation (Clarkson, Gaborik/Brown). Not to mention they also have their own AHL affiliate team that will need bodies to play. I'm hoping for Brouwer or Stajan, but I'm thinking it'll be Shinkaruk or Kulak.

Also, I'm sure they'll still be taking larger contract players from other teams around the league, just, it'll be for useful players like Cammalleri, Plekanec, Ryan, Neal or Kruger. Just can't see there being room for Troy 'Off Ice Leadership' Brouwer. Hopefully McPhee proves me wrong.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #208
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Also, I'm sure they'll still be taking larger contract players from other teams around the league, just, it'll be for useful players like Cammalleri, Plekanec, Ryan, Neal or Kruger. Just can't see there being room for Troy 'Off Ice Leadership' Brouwer. Hopefully McPhee proves me wrong.
If they take guys like Cammalleri, Neal I'd expect them to flip them for younger assets. They aren't in win now mode, they don't really have a need for guys 1 year away from UFA (Neal) or older guys on retirement contracts (Cammalleri) unless its to trade them. They may only take expensive guys they think they can flip unless a team pays through the roof for them to take someone in particular.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #209
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
If they take guys like Cammalleri, Neal I'd expect them to flip them for younger assets.
Maybe, but they still need to ice a semi-competitive product for the fans. They already signed Russian star Vadim Shipachyov and are in talks with Dadonov. Wouldn't be surprised if McPhee wanted to surround them with legitimate top 6 players to help them succeed.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #210
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The odds of Poirier playing for Vegas are about as good as the odds of me playing for Vegas.

Sheesh just listen to yourselves.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #211
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe, but they still need to ice a semi-competitive product for the fans. They already signed Russian star Vadim Shipachyov and are in talks with Dadonov. Wouldn't be surprised if McPhee wanted to surround them with legitimate top 6 players to help them succeed.
Yeah I agree with that, doesn't look like a it'll be a problem given the lists and the assets they will have. But I think if you're taking Neal you take him to immediately trade him, or trade him later that season unless he wants to sign there long term. Cammalleri isn't really attractive to a team that is freshly building IMO, I think you only take him if another team indicates interest in him.

I think too many people are looking at their selections as if these players will actually play a long time for them. I think they're going to deal a significant number of the guys they draft and will prioritize taking assets above all else. Assets they can move will be a big part of this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #212
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
The odds of Poirier playing for Vegas are about as good as the odds of me playing for Vegas.

Sheesh just listen to yourselves.
Oh okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

If I didn't know better I'd think we were married.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #213
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Knights will try to ice a competitive roster in their first season to foster enthusiasm about the team, then trade off their veteran assets at the trade deadline when they'll get a better return. Their second season is when the Knights are really gonna suck.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #214
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the Knights will take Chiasson.

They really don't have much else to choose from.

And he will come cheap, and he's youngish. Could give them a decent 3-4 years as a bottom sixer.

With Stajan, I'm not sure Vegas would even have a place for him. They have Shipachev already. There is speculation they are getting Kruger from Chicago.

Cody Eakin from Dallas could be a worthwhile pick for them as a guy that could bounce back after a poor season. Or a guy like Marchessault who was left unprotected.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #215
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah Chiasson I guess is a possibility I've kind of passed over. Guess he has some value even if its small.

Stajan has a modified NTC this year. Anybody know the conditions? They could take Stajan in order to trade him if another team shows interest. We don't really know what players the Flames have exposed may be attractive to other teams.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #216
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The NTC adds an interesting wrinkle, but at the end of the day, I doubt it will make much of a difference. Vegas is cool and all, but if they are bottom feeders in a position to sell to playoff contenders at the deadline, Stajan and others are more likely to waive.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #217
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Yeah Chiasson I guess is a possibility I've kind of passed over. Guess he has some value even if its small.

Stajan has a modified NTC this year. Anybody know the conditions? They could take Stajan in order to trade him if another team shows interest. We don't really know what players the Flames have exposed may be attractive to other teams.
10 team no trade list.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #218
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theres a 10% chance someone is going to ask about a flames player...maybe less...so thats good I guess...
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #219
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I never really gave this much consideration until today, but it is quite possible that Vegas could take Stone. They have the right to interview UFAs before finalizing their picks from the various teams. If Stone likes the idea of being a top 3 defenseman with Vegas versus a 4/5 defenseman with Calgary he could choose Vegas?
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #220
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
I never really gave this much consideration until today, but it is quite possible that Vegas could take Stone. They have the right to interview UFAs before finalizing their picks from the various teams. If Stone likes the idea of being a top 3 defenseman with Vegas versus a 4/5 defenseman with Calgary he could choose Vegas?
Doubt it. Think you'd rather play on the team just finishing their rebuild vs the team just starting to build from the ground up. And no guarantee he'd be a top 3 guy in Vegas if they're getting guys like Vatanen, Methot, Jack Johnson. He has some ties to Calgary too. Unless he didn't like it here it seems absurd he'd choose an expansion team over a team that made the playoffs. I guess if they offer crazy money anything is possible but that seems extremely unlikely.