Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #241
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
not sure what was caught on TV...people asked me to clarify so described what I saw with my own eyes. Wish I had pvr'd the game honestly.

Beyond that make your own call...to me it seems awfully suspicious (not impossible) that he was that badly injured

He is free to make any claim he wants, I am free to have serious doubts

Dear lord, quoting Francis

https://twitter.com/EricFrancis/stat...75151271989249

Apologized at first TV timeout...the rest you will have to take my word, or not...
For what it's worth, I recall seeing the same thing. The highlights package at the time even showed Wideman and Henderson laughing it up after.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #242
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Not surprised to hear Francis with Rob Kerr yesterday calling us "Internet tough guys" because everyone is not 100% on Henderson's side in this. Don't you have to be a tough guy to start chiding people for being "internet tough guys". In a fight between Francis and a wet noodle I'm taking the wet noodle every time.
Which is Mighty Rich considering his tweet about Brodie and subsequent follow up where in he doubled down on his ass-hattery.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #243
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
That is a bizarre number, even given usual practice. Who is his lawyer? (Sorry too lazy to look)
Personally I think it's high too, but who knows what his post retirement plans were.

Machida at Vogel is his lawyer.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #244
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Not surprised to hear Francis with Rob Kerr yesterday calling us "Internet tough guys" because everyone is not 100% on Henderson's side in this. Don't you have to be a tough guy to start chiding people for being "internet tough guys". In a fight between Francis and a wet noodle I'm taking the wet noodle every time.
Kerr is still bitter that "the internet" ruined his career as the Flames Play by Play guy. He tries to get his shots in whenever he can.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #245
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Kerr is still bitter that "the internet" ruined his career as the Flames Play by Play guy. He tries to get his shots in whenever he can.
Man....if we had that kind of power we'd be out on the streets fighting committing crime!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #246
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
FWIW, there is absolutely no way I'm taking dino7c's claim that they were laughing it off as fact on his say so. Particularly given he's essentially accusing Henderson of fraud. We'd need a few more people to collaborate that.
The word you're looking for is corroborate.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #247
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
For what it's worth, I recall seeing the same thing. The highlights package at the time even showed Wideman and Henderson laughing it up after.
I had heard some comments at the time (I think Peter Loubardias also mentioned something the next day on HC@Noon if i recall correctly which isn't always the case) which seemed to indicate that Don appeared to downplay the incident for the most part (possibly not feeling the effects of the injuries at that point) until things were escalated after the game by Hendersons brother who was at the game and apparently very angry/upset immediately after the incident happened. Once he got down to see Don after the game, the tone of everything apparently changed. Purely going from memory and there doesn't seem to be any audio from the Loubardias segment on Jan 28, 2016 left on the fan960 web site.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #248
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
What, really? This is literally the first I've heard of this, maybe because I wasn't living in Calgary at the time when he was the PBP guy. How so?
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #249
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Which is Mighty Rich considering his tweet about Brodie and subsequent follow up where in he doubled down on his ass-hattery.
No kidding, eh? Questioning someone's family obligations and implying that they're not a good excuse to miss the World Championships. He has no idea what Brodie has planned... a relative could be getting married, a relative could be terminally ill... Francis can get bent.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #250
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there not some clause in ref contracts that they may be subject to injury by participating?

Wouldn't they have to prove this was on purpose in order to make this stand?
Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #251
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Is there not some clause in ref contracts that they may be subject to injury by participating?

Wouldn't they have to prove this was on purpose in order to make this stand?
They will use the multiple camera views of the incident I imagine.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #252
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
They will use the multiple camera views of the incident I imagine.
To prove intent?
Old 04-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #253
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This isn't a murder case, don't they just need reasonable grounds?
Old 04-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #254
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryjohn87 View Post
The case should be tossed out and Henderson should be banned from ever coaching again. This case is a joke, nothing more

Totally. After he scored that goal against Russia in 72, he hasn't done anything except become a litigious parasite.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #255
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
This isn't a murder case, don't they just need reasonable grounds?
The reasonable grounds being... after no inciting incident or previous violent actions, Dennis Wideman purposely struck and injured an NHL linesman, a game participant who literally has the smallest possible impact on the game and did nothing that would provoke any sort of aggressive or even normal response?
Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #256
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The reasonable grounds being... after no inciting incident or previous violent actions, Dennis Wideman purposely struck and injured an NHL linesman, a game participant who literally has the smallest possible impact on the game and did nothing that would provoke any sort of aggressive or even normal response?
I'm sure the Henderson's lawyer will paint a much different picture.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #257
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I'll preface this by saying that I haven't looked into the issue deeply and this is just message board banter not legal advice.

There are three possible factual findings in an incident like this:

-it was an inevitable accident where no one was at fault;
-It was an accident which happened because of negligence; or
-It was an intentional act and not an accident.

We've all seen the video, and it looks to me like Wideman did what he intended to do, as opposed to being a true accident. But when you add the fact he was probably seriously concussed at the time, the incident becomes more difficult to categorize. It defies reality that Wideman actually intended to cross-check a ref from behind for no reason. But also, he did do exactly that.

The matter is more complicated when you consider the ref was working at the time. If the matter is covered by WCB, then there is no cause of action. WCB does not cover intentional acts but they do cover accidents. If its an accident and if WCB coverage applies to a ref (or linesman) in the course of their employment, then the worker can not sue and instead will be compensated and treated for by the WCB rules.

Let's say the ref was walking down the hallway on skates, and there was a rut in the flooring which caused him to fall and break his leg. That to me seems to be a WCB claim, not something the ref could sue for.

When you take it as part of the game and he was hit with seeming intention, that might change how the law applies.

Its a difficult case. He certainly deserves compensation, but from whom and how much? WCB compensation typically is just a lot of rehab.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #258
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just can't see how anyone can think Wideman did this on purpose. I have never seen anyone purposely strike a referee. The only things that have ever come close are usually the result of a player falling while skating towards them.

I've watched old time hockey, new hockey, played, coached kids, never once have I seen this happen. And that's forgetting that this is a linesman. There's literally no reason to ever intend to do this unless you have a mental health issue that is causing you to perceive a different reality. Even on the most egregious of offside calls, no player ever has thought "Hmm, I'm gonna body check that guy." And there wasn't even a linesman's call that made any game impact. It just makes zero sense from every possible angle except a frame of video that shows him looking up moments before impact.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #259
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Rick Westhead‏Verified account @rwesthead
In NHL linesman Don Henderson’s lawsuit vs Calgary Flames and Dennis Wideman, the Alberta govt is also listed as a plaintiff.

Rick Westhead‏Verified account @rwesthead
AB govt wants Wideman and Flames to cover cost of Henderson’s dental surgery, optometric, mental health, chiropractic, podiatrist services.

THANKS NDP
They probably are introducing a bill to tax moneys transferred in a civil lawsuit.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #260
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Having filed claims for personal injury before, including on behalf of NHL players, I find the loss of income claim scandalous.

Sure you can always adjust down and not always up, but a claim for past and future loss of income at $10 million does not even remotely reflect reality. I'm going to get a copy of the claim and read it, but the amount of the claim is absurd on its face. He's almost 50 years old.

Filing claims asking for patently absurd amounts is not good legal practice.
I do not disagree that claiming patently absurd amounts is bad form...but the point is it is bad legal practice as you have said.

Do you disagree that an insurance company could be filing this in Henderson's name and he may have had literally no say in what number the lawyer chose to put in?

People are literally posting here that Henderson's character can be judged by this piece of paper and all he might have had to do with it was he has submitted an insurance claim and collected some benefits from the policy.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote