Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default The slashing in this league is too damn high UPDATE: League cracking down

Just finished watching the entire game and while I appreciate the refs calling the slash on Gaudreau on the pp, the Ducks got away with so much slashing tonight.

It needs to be addressed league wide and more severe penalties need to be called. These aren't just soft love taps, these are slashes that are breaking bones and chopping up fingers.

Will it take MCDavid breaking a wrist and missing 6 months until the league addresses this issue? And this isn't just a Calgary Flames/Gaudreau issue, all teams utilitizes this strategy and the refs aren't calling it as often as they should be.

Last edited by calgaryblood; 09-19-2017 at 09:31 PM.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:55 AM   #2
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think it's bad now wait till the playoffs. It was said by someone else in the the game thread, but the league values sticks more than players bones.

The Ducks and the Wild are masters at it, both veteran teams with guys who know officials will let them get away with everything. Johnny had to do a better job at not letting it effect his game, easier said then done obviously. Flames should play fire with fire, starting on Tuesday

Last edited by Beninho; 04-03-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:59 AM   #3
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

From r/hockey:

Link
https://gfycat.com/QuaintGrandioseArthropods
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 01:05 AM   #4
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
It really ruins the game, watching skilled guys getting slashed endlessly throughout a game is something that not only injures players but makes the game increasingly less fun to watch. NHL wants higher scoring but then allows their best players to take uneccesary punishment every shift, until the league takes a hard stance this #### is gonna keep happening and will only get worse.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:06 AM   #5
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Someone in a previous thread suggested banning all stick-on-body contact. Sticks are meant for playing the puck -- not to attack or obstruct the players. That would be an interesting experiment.

Any tap on a player's body -- slashing
Any horizontal stick *touching* a player -- hooking
Any horizontal stick used to push another player -- cross-checking.

Some might cry that is going too far, but I wouldn't mind seeing what that kind of hockey would look like. In theory.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:13 AM   #6
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I feel like they call a hook into the hands pretty consistently, to the point of some really soft hooking calls often.

I'm not sure why a slash into the hands is so rarely called.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:18 AM   #7
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Someone in a previous thread suggested banning all stick-on-body contact. Sticks are meant for playing the puck -- not to attack or obstruct the players. That would be an interesting experiment.

Some might cry that is going too far, but I wouldn't mind seeing what that kind of hockey would look like. In theory.
Would be interesting if they undertook another industry wide correction, like they did with hooking and holding after the 2004-05 lockout.

They were diligent about this consistency through a full season and through the playoffs, with a strange result (lol Oilers-Canes final), but long term there were desirable results.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:38 AM   #8
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's so frustrating about that second play is that Gaudreau made both of those Ducks players look like a couple of pylons with his speed and nifty deke. Had he not been slashed there, it likely leads to a quality scoring chance by the Flames. People pay good money to watch star players make those kinds of plays, and I agree the constant slashing really does ruin it when you see it happening so often to the same players.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:44 AM   #9
MoBiBu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm voting for this with my wallet... my spending on NHL-related products such as apparel, streaming and tickets is down 100% this season. Should be easy to keep it up with Shaw coming this week to start me on a free 2 month TV trial with PVR which I was assured will include the sports channels.

Love the sport... not at all pleased with how the top league in the world is managing it.
MoBiBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:39 AM   #10
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been watching a lot of lacrosse lately. Love all of the slashing.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:43 AM   #11
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like they call a hook into the hands pretty consistently, to the point of some really soft hooking calls often.

I'm not sure why a slash into the hands is so rarely called.
This.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 AM   #12
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
I've been watching a lot of lacrosse lately. Love all of the slashing.
Slashing as part of LACROSEE is fine. It is one of the few ways to dislodge the ball from the offense. Lacrosse sticks defiantly have more give when used with force and lacrosse gear is designed to take the slashing.. The upler bosy protection is padded differently.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:21 AM   #13
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't they try to crack down on this back in 2006 after the lockout? I seem to remember any touch of the stick to the gloves was an automatic penalty for a while. Unfortunately the whistles were put away in the playoffs and every season since the slashing has crept back into the game. It's time for another crack down.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #14
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slashing or "tapping" is the new obstruction hooking.

Get rid of it NHL.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #15
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If I was a player who got slashed in the hands a dozen times a game I'd probably snap and turn around and slash them right back. It would make the refs look like hypocrites to call a slashing penalty ten seconds after they just ignored one.

It's okay to slash a guys hands when he has the puck but it's against the rules to do it when a player doesn't have the puck?
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:23 AM   #16
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was it Hamilton last night that got two minutes for slashing where he tapped the bottom of a Ducks players stick? Hilarious that the officials never miss those ticky tack, stick on stick slashes but slashes to the hand or body are called less than half the time they happen.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #17
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Was it Hamilton last night that got two minutes for slashing where he tapped the bottom of a Ducks players stick? Hilarious that the officials never miss those ticky tack, stick on stick slashes but slashes to the hand or body are called less than half the time they happen.
and what's worse is they aren't even consistent in that. Later in the 3rd period, the Ducks did that to I think it was Backlund - and no call.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #18
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames were going to play such a losing game last night, they should have used the opportunity, to see where the limits are on slashing and crosschecking. Apparently Anaheim is very well calibrated, and Flames should used the time to get better at it, in time for the playoffs.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #19
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I must be real old but I think it's not as bad as the old days.

Stick work included hooking, watersking, slashing, crosschecks, spearing

I think a large part of why Crosby recently got away with his slash on Methot was due to this.....his crotch shot on O'Reilly as well.

Top players have been taking it longer than we realise....it's time they get to be dirty buggers right back

I remember Hakan Loob never doing that at the start but in the end boy could he use that stick.

Same with Mullen....man he took allot of abuse but he must have had Lacrosse rubber ball in his bones as he'd pop back up every time....the year we won the cup he was wearing a football collar on his shoulder pads from getting the lumber so much.

The nhl definitely needs to Crack down. Just like replay or coaches challenge give each bench 2 replays for such calls perhaps to Crack down on the dirty stick offenses.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #20
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post

Might have been me. IMO the current "system" is impossible to referee probably. If we go with the idea that some hooking, some crosschecking and some slashing is okay, there's just no way a referee can probably assess which slashes, hooks and crosschecks are actually dangerous. This "system" has never worked, and will never work. There's just no way things can get better while the rules are treated "more like a guideline".

Temporary crackdowns might make things better for a while, but we've seen that those never last very long. They don't address the core problem.

I also think it would make the game more physical. Slashing is now pretty much the same as hooking used to be; the lazy solution for players who can't be arsed to position themselves properly, or who can't keep up. Taking away stick options would force players to use their bodies to stop the other sides forwards, and that would mean more hits and more battles for those positions.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: