Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #1041
McClintock
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Those stairs are brutal, ill give you that, but they do make the viewing up top better as youre closer to the ice. I got a kick out of that 1000 foot escalator.
The Following User Says Thank You to McClintock For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #1042
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClintock View Post
Ive been to 3 games this year and ive yet to see someone wearing sweatpants at the new barn. Its a joke thats old and tired. A jab that isnt necessary.

Also, cant see how you can say the sound is bad. I thought it was totally fine for hockey. I attended a concert there and the sound actually blew me away, way better than i expected.
I've been to a concert and some hockey, including a suite last night... I've yet to see any of the stuff mentioned in that post.

the hockey team is crap, but the building is phenomenal, the screen over centre ice is the best I've ever seen. the staff are excellent as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #1043
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Ive been to 3 games this year and ive yet to see someone wearing sweatpants at the new barn. Its a joke thats old and tired. A jab that isnt necessary...
It is neither tired nor in any way unnecessary. I don't live in Edmonton, but here in Vancouver there remains an astonishingly strong representation among the sweatpants-wearing crowd of Oilers fans who don them consistently with emblemed hat and jersey. It is a joke that continues to resonate for good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 10-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #1044
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post

The logistics of getting to and from the venue are a challenge for anyone intent on driving. While the Oilers and the City keep repeating that there are thousands of parking spots within a ten minute walk of the venue, the City will not approve / rezone an open air 4000 stall gravel lot immediately beside the rink due to downtown business-owner nimbyism.
The logistics might be complex if you aren't from Edmonton, for those that are, it's dead easy. We hung around the suite for about 15 minutes after the game last night. I took the elevator down to my car and drove out, there was no traffic to speak of, just pedestrians. I was out of downtown in 5 minutes.

the rezoning has nothing to do with nimbyism and everything to do with all the lots and parkades that already exist. Besides gravel lots are ugly, and the new City policy is to get rid of them, not build more.

you can park in the best parkade in the city at Manulife Place (imho) for $15 and it's a five minute walk to the arena. There are lots of spots even closer.

Those being ticketed are the ones trying to park illegally in residential areas, like Oliver. They get what they deserve.

Last edited by -TC-; 10-27-2016 at 11:55 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #1045
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is neither tired nor in any way unnecessary. I don't live in Edmonton, but here in Vancouver there remains an astonishingly strong representation among the sweatpants-wearing crowd of Oilers fans who don them consistently with emblemed hat and jersey. It is a joke that continues to resonate for good reason.
I was in Edmonton last year for a graduation ceremony with the in laws. My mother in law kept pointing out people wearing sweat pants with good shoes in downtown Edmonton, never heard her laugh so hard or so often in my life! Definitely truth to that one
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire in the disco For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #1046
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Regarding the sweat pants dilemma, yes it's still very much a real stereotype among Edmontonians. Perhaps you guys are so used to it that it no longer stands out to you?

I was downtown for a meeting several months ago and couldn't believe my eyes. There were very few people who actually looked properly dressed for an office job (both men and women). I was in disbelief seeing some of these people enter office buildings. Jeans at least look somewhat professional when paired with a dress shirt. A collared t-shirt and sweat pants is just lazy.

TLDR; Edmonton's dress attire is no good.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #1047
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I attended SxSW, and I can attest that sweatpants are a trend across the tech industry. Everyone was wearing them, and all I could think of was this thread. Poor fashion choices
Old 10-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #1048
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would love to see pics of some present day sweatpants wearers in downtown Nogoodville. Sounds hilarious and also cringey.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #1049
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
The logistics might be complex if you aren't from Edmonton, for those that are, it's dead easy. We hung around the suite for about 15 minutes after the game last night. I took the elevator down to my car and drove out, there was no traffic to speak of, just pedestrians. I was out of downtown in 5 minutes.

the rezoning has nothing to do with nimbyism and everything to do with all the lots and parkades that already exist. Besides gravel lots are ugly, and the new City policy is to get rid of them, not build more.

you can park in the best parkade in the city at Manulife Place (imho) for $15 and it's a five minute walk to the arena. There are lots of spots even closer.

Those being ticketed are the ones trying to park illegally in residential areas, like Oliver. They get what they deserve.
You waited around for 'about' 15 minutes for traffic to clear. I'm sure everyone wants to wait around (in a suite) for an extra 15 +/- minutes after every game.

And you were out of downtown in 5 minutes? Go ahead and state that this is an everyday occurrence. Like you routinely glide in and out of downtown Edmonton on game nights in 5 minutes, lol. If the logistics are 'dead easy' why are people parking illegally all over the place?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...king-1.3801616

Yup, nimbyism is playing no role here:

"The Katz Group hopes to temporarily rezone a large swath of undeveloped land just north of the new arena to create a temporary 800-stall parking space but there has been strong opposition to the proposal from residents, councillors, and Mayor Don Iveson."

So there is so much cheap, easy access, near-by parking in the Ice District that Katz wants to spend his own money on additional expensive and unneeded spaces. OK.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #1050
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So there is so much cheap, easy access, near-by parking in the Ice District that Katz wants to spend his own money on additional expensive and unneeded spaces. OK.
I always park on the north side of the rink. The parking lots there are never even half full.

The spots aren't needed. But Katz wants money and parking is abother revenue stream.

Plus if Katz turns the Northside into a parking lot rather than bars/restaurants that is less competition for his developments on the southside.

The city of Edmonton puts up.temp signs on Gamedays banning what is otherwise legal street parking. It's BS. The street in question isn't even busy but it's a block from the rink and free so of course they can't let that fly.

The new rink has its problems, but flow into and out of the arena by vehicle is not one of them. I leave directly after games and there is zero waiting for traffic. Just jump in the car and drive off.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 10-27-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #1051
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You waited around for 'about' 15 minutes for traffic to clear. I'm sure everyone wants to wait around (in a suite) for an extra 15 +/- minutes after every game.

And you were out of downtown in 5 minutes? Go ahead and state that this is an everyday occurrence. Like you routinely glide in and out of downtown Edmonton on game nights in 5 minutes, lol. If the logistics are 'dead easy' why are people parking illegally all over the place?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...king-1.3801616

Yup, nimbyism is playing no role here:

"The Katz Group hopes to temporarily rezone a large swath of undeveloped land just north of the new arena to create a temporary 800-stall parking space but there has been strong opposition to the proposal from residents, councillors, and Mayor Don Iveson."

Wasn't that gravel lot the piece of land the oilers ownership group was supposed to develop into an arena district on, but then put off due to budget concerns?
If so, I would assume those opposing a temporary gravel lot are doing so because they don't want the original vision they were sold on to slowly fade away while the parking lot eventually becomes permanent.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #1052
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honest question: why are we putting effort into sorting out the parking annoyances of the new Edmonton arena?
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
V
Old 10-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #1053
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

People with positive things to say about those no good Oilers are ruining the integrity of this thread, and should be banned!
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #1054
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ive been to 3 games this year and ive yet to see someone wearing sweatpants at the new barn. Its a joke thats old and tired. A jab that isnt necessary.
I lived there from 2005-13, trust me that's light to what they say about us. They think we're a bunch of inbred cowboy hicks who sleep with barnyard animals. Don't feel bad for them, it's a heated sports rivalry, the fiercest in the league back in the day. The jabs are absolutely necessary, and expected, on a hockey forum. This isn't a political forum

PS - plus deep down I think we all know it's all in good fun. Of course there's real hate, but this isn't a soccer-level rivalry. Enjoy the chirps

Last edited by Sainters7; 10-27-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #1055
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
People with positive things to say about those no good Oilers are ruining the integrity of this thread, and should be banned!
Correct. The Oilers are NO good, not some good.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #1056
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Correction, you were out of downtown in 20 minutes.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #1057
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I've been to a concert and some hockey, including a suite last night... I've yet to see any of the stuff mentioned in that post.

the hockey team is crap, but the building is phenomenal, the screen over centre ice is the best I've ever seen. the staff are excellent as well.
Your experience differed from mine, but that doesn't mean that one of us is lying.
I saw 3 Lamborghinis last Sunday, did you? no? ok, that doesnt mean that those 3 Lamborginis dont exist.

The building is very good, but I would not say that it is not phenomenal -there are some definite shortcomings
Old 10-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #1058
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Everyone in this thread should do themselves a favor and buy ABC pants from lulu lemon. The comfort of sweat pants, but they look like dress pants
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaydee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #1059
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blah. I can't wait for the Oilers to start sucking again so this thread gets back on track!
Old 10-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #1060
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Blah. I can't wait for the Oilers to start sucking again so this thread gets back on track!
And so the Oiler fans disappear again.
Closed Thread