Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #201
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Stajan is a UFA today, I suspect he's hanging out with Glencross and Hudler.

And being overpaid won't help him get picked in an expansion draft, even with a salary floor.

I am very confident there will be several more attractive targets that Flames will not be able to protect. I certainly hope so.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #202
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Jokipakka is a bottom pair player. I have nothing against him, but I'm not concerned if he ends up being selected in the expansion draft, either. There's lots of promising prospects on D in the organization currently, and some of them are exempt.
I don't think Jokipakka is a bottom pair d-man. He's 2nd pairing material IMO.

I just think Calgary has a really solid top three and a bunch of bottom pair guys. Wideman is not the long term man here (obviously). Jokipakka is the only guy who can play the number 4 position right now and for the next year IMO. Unless Kylington or Andersson are ready to make the jump to full time NHL in 2017-18, I hope they protect Jokipakka, or make a big a splash with a trade to round out the top 4.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #203
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If Stajan is a UFA today, I suspect he's hanging out with Glencross and Hudler.
I find it very hard to believe that Hudler is in the same situation as Glencross. Glencross couldn't get a contract at all. There's no way Hudler was bad enough last year that that's the case for him. 46 points last year, and one year removed from 76 points? He's gotta be just asking for too much money. Someone would give him a deal if he was asking for a reasonable amount.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #204
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I find it very hard to believe that Hudler is in the same situation as Glencross. Glencross couldn't get a contract at all. There's no way Hudler was bad enough last year that that's the case for him. 46 points last year, and one year removed from 76 points? He's gotta be just asking for too much money. Someone would give him a deal if he was asking for a reasonable amount.
I'm thinking Hudler has probably been offered a contract for less than $2 mill/yr. Now he has to decide if he's willing to take that or play in Europe/KHL or retire.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #205
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Small and slow. A lethal combination.
Let's remember Glencross actually netted more at the deadline - and still found himself getting only tryout offers that summer.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #206
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Small and slow. A lethal combination.
Let's remember Glencross actually netted more at the deadline - and still found himself getting only tryout offers that summer.

Yup looks like this is the way the NHL is going. Won't be surprised if this is Iggy's last season.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #207
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy is on the decline. But he's still got it.

I'd be surprised if Iggy didn't leave on his own terms.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #208
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Yup... and I think that a Flames high priced veteran will be one of the ones selected. The Las Vegas Whatevers will have to take some money in the expansion draft so they'll look at all the teams and the ones that have the least to offer in terms of younger expansion draft eligible cheap talent is where they'll take the higher priced vets. I think that's the Flames since our best young talent will either be protected or exempt.
There are still plenty of better players out there (albeit past their prime) with cap hit > $$$. Unfortunately, none of the Flames are in that boat.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #209
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).
I haven't seen this rule discussed yet, but find it interesting. I am trying to figure out what sort of Expansion Draft rules could be violated? It's pretty cut and dry who has to be protected, and I would think the league would check over every list to make sure it is valid before it gets submitted.

The only violation I can see is if a team doesn't have enough eligible players to protect/expose at any given position (Calgary in net, as of right now for example)

Even if there was a violation, I want to know how it would result in a player acquisition? And who would decide what player would be moved at that point? This rule seems like it needs a whole subset of rules to go with it.

Depending how this is enforced, I wonder if there could be a strategic advantage to violating the rules and giving up a player instead?

Last edited by Iceman90; 07-28-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #210
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
There are still plenty of better players out there (albeit past their prime) with cap hit > $$$. Unfortunately, none of the Flames are in that boat.
Yes... but how many teams are there with better players (albeit past their prime) with cap hit > $$$ that also don't have something more tempting available? Throw me a name or two.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #211
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry if this has been asked before. Do we know when our list of protected players needs to be finalized?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #212
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before. Do we know when our list of protected players needs to be finalized?
From the OP:

The 30 NHL clubs must submit their Protected Lists by 5:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas franchise must submit its Expansion Draft selections by 5:00 p.m. ET on June 20. The announcement of their selections will be made on June 21.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #213
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and
This is what interests me and is the same for two forwards and a goalie. If we want to keep Jokipakka or any other player (Ferland) whose contract runs out after this season, we just don't sign him until after the expansion draft. The consideration being that we have another defenceman who is eligible to be drafted.

and than again I could be reading this wrong.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #214
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
This is what interests me and is the same for two forwards and a goalie. If we want to keep Jokipakka or any other player (Ferland) whose contract runs out after this season, we just don't sign him until after the expansion draft. The consideration being that we have another defenceman who is eligible to be drafted.

and than again I could be reading this wrong.
I think you are reading it wrong, it is just saying we are required to expose 1 player meeting those requirements, the expansion club would still be able to pick a RFA
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #215
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's another point.

Quote:
iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.
It doesn't say anything about NHL games played so it seems we could declare any of our RFAs goalies available, such as Rittich, Gillies, McDonald, or Schneider.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #216
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's another point.

It doesn't say anything about NHL games played so it seems we could declare any of our RFAs goalies available, such as Rittich, Gillies, McDonald, or Schneider.
Can a team declare an exempt player to be eligible though? It doesn't say that is allowed (nor does it say it isn't)
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #217
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Yup looks like this is the way the NHL is going. Won't be surprised if this is Iggy's last season.
If Jarome Iginla doesn't sign another NHL contract, it will be because Jarome Iginla has decided to retire from the National Hockey League.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #218
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
From the OP:

The 30 NHL clubs must submit their Protected Lists by 5:00 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas franchise must submit its Expansion Draft selections by 5:00 p.m. ET on June 20. The announcement of their selections will be made on June 21.

That doesn't give LV a lot of time to prepare. There would probably be quite a few interesting conversations going on during that time. Lots of pressure too. Make a few wrong picks and set your team back a few years.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #219
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's another point.

Teams do not declare players available. They protect players who are not available, and players with two or less years of pro experience are exempt. The remaining players in the organization are available. If the available players do not meet the minimum league requirements, the team is penalized. The exact penalties are not known, but they seem to involve possibly losing additional player(s), and have been reported to be severe.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #220
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
That doesn't give LV a lot of time to prepare. There would probably be quite a few interesting conversations going on during that time. Lots of pressure too. Make a few wrong picks and set your team back a few years.
They have nothing to do but prepare. Not that it would take much to prepare. All they would have to do is make prioritized lists including all players and then simply "cross off" those who are protected.