Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #221
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Granlund still needs time. For many players, generating a shot on goal is hard to do. Granlund has been generating many shots. I think it's a matter of time before he starts getting some poitns.

Also, a lot of his TOI comes on the PK where he's not expected to score. It's telling that the coach trusts a young guy to play the PK whereas Johnny and Bennett havent seen a hint of PK time. (which isn't bad, mind you)

The stats don't really corroborate this. The Flames generate shots at a lower rate with Granlund on the ice than any other player, and he only has 31 shots total since being called up.

On Saturday in Edmonton, Calgary had one shot attempt with Granlund on the ice at even strength and 17 against. He was playing mostly against their bottom 6. This is an extreme example but relative to other centers on the Flames and in the league Granlund performs really poorly on shot based metrics.

The point is that he's in over his head at center. He might have a career at winger, but he's almost 23 and I don't think he's showing enough to prove that he'll stick around in this league, nevermind be an adequate replacement for Backlund.
Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vedder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #222
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone else think Bennett can still end up as a Calder Finalist? I do!! He's now in 6th place for rookie scoring leaders with 22 points after last night. He's 2 points behind Anthony Duclair for 5th. He's 8 points behind Dylan Larkin and Jack Eichel for 3rd in rookie scoring and 9 points behind Max Domi for 2nd in rookie scoring. I believe he can catch Larkin, Eichel and Domi and finish 2nd in rookie points. Artemi Panarin leads all rookies with 45 points so unless he gets a season ending injury in the next week, nobody is catching him. Panarin benefits from playing on Chicago's top line with Patrick Kane and logs a ton of ice time as well as a ton of power play time as well. I do believe Sam Bennett can be the rookie goal leader when all is said and done though. After last night Sam Bennett now has 13 goals & is tied with Max Domi for 3rd most. Eichel & Larkin are tied for 2nd with 14 goals and the rookie goal leader, Artemi Panarin, has 16 goals which is only 3 more then Bennett.

It would be just great if Sam Bennett could finish as the top rookie goal scorer and 2nd in total rookie points. It would definitely leave him as a Calder Finalist.
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #223
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default Sam "Freaking" Bennett

Nm
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #224
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Audi commercial didn't make the cut for this article:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-god-aw...-pro-athletes/
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #225
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
Granlund is now 22 years old and has 4 points in 22 games averaging 13 minutes a night. He's been given a pretty good opportunity here and has done very little with it. At this stage in his development, you'd like to see more.

He's not close to being ready to replace Backlund, who has been roughly a 0.5 ppg player the last 4 seasons, dating back to when he was the same age as Granlund is now. Backlund is also a much better player at even strength.
Darren Haynes wrote a good article yesterday about why we shouldn't send Granlund down.

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2016/...-why-easy.html

Quote:
3. He's the Best Penalty Killing Forward

Calgary still owns the 30th ranked penalty kill in the NHL at 74.8 percent. Given that status, does it makes sense to demote the player, who thus far on the season has been the most effective forward on the PK?

Granlund has accrued over 24 minutes of penalty kill ice time this season and has been on the ice for only one power play goal against. That's by far the best ratio on the team.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #226
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I would think he's got a legit shot at rookie of the month for January. Not sure which rookie has been better so far.
Probably up against Panarin. he has 5 goals 6 assists to Bennetts 8 goals.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #227
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
Anyone else think Bennett can still end up as a Calder Finalist? I do!! He's now in 6th place for rookie scoring leaders with 22 points after last night. He's 2 points behind Anthony Duclair for 5th. He's 8 points behind Dylan Larkin and Jack Eichel for 3rd in rookie scoring and 9 points behind Max Domi for 2nd in rookie scoring. I believe he can catch Larkin, Eichel and Domi and finish 2nd in rookie points. Artemi Panarin leads all rookies with 45 points so unless he gets a season ending injury in the next week, nobody is catching him. Panarin benefits from playing on Chicago's top line with Patrick Kane and logs a ton of ice time as well as a ton of power play time as well. I do believe Sam Bennett can be the rookie goal leader when all is said and done though. After last night Sam Bennett now has 13 goals & is tied with Max Domi for 3rd most. Eichel & Larkin are tied for 2nd with 14 goals and the rookie goal leader, Artemi Panarin, has 16 goals which is only 3 more then Bennett.

It would be just great if Sam Bennett could finish as the top rookie goal scorer and 2nd in total rookie points. It would definitely leave him as a Calder Finalist.
Tough to say. Whats more likely? He gets cold after a few hot games? Or continues hot?

Eichel seems to be playing better lately after a slow start, I think he might be in the conversation. Could be an interesting race.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #228
GB70
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I wouldn't be sad if the calder finalists were Panarin, Eichel, Bennett. with Larkin, Domi in the conversation. Honestly we got a good crop of worthy candidates to win it this year.
GB70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #229
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't care too much about the Calder.

But it would be awesome for Bennett to win just to watch Oiler fans come try to defend McDavid for the rest of eternity that he missed out on the Calder to the Flames.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #230
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Took Gaudreau 5 games to figure it out. Just took Bennett a bit longer. That kid has been making the puck his b*tch lately. I think we'll see a Stone-like second half of the season for Bennett.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #231
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Took Gaudreau 5 games to figure it out. Just took Bennett a bit longer. That kid has been making the puck his b*tch lately. I think we'll see a Stone-like second half of the season for Bennett.
40 games more and 2 years less...
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #232
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a large portion of that 18 game stretch Bennett was playing just as good as he is now, puck just wouldn't go in.

I agree with Treliving on the fact that during that stretch Bennett was never a worry because of the chances he was creating, and what he was doing in other areas of the ice.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #233
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett has been typically the best or one of the best forwards for the Flames on a nightly basis most of the season and for the most part he just wasn't getting a lot in the way of puck luck. He's playing no different now and it's just a matter of those pucks going in the net.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #234
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
For a large portion of that 18 game stretch Bennett was playing just as good as he is now, puck just wouldn't go in.

I agree with Treliving on the fact that during that stretch Bennett was never a worry because of the chances he was creating, and what he was doing in other areas of the ice.
Agreed, Bennett has been a force for at least 2 months now. I don't think confidence has ever been an issue, he just wasn't able to put everything together. He's been the first guy to stand up for a teammate after a dirty play or big hit.

I think we should have another poll to see who the next Captain of the Flames should be after Gio. My vote went to Monahan, but I'm leaning more towards Bennett of late. And not just because of him scoring 8 goals in 5 games, but his great mix of determination, skill and attitude.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #235
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fan votes for Captain are nothing but popularity contests. A lot of captain-y stuff happens off the ice that fans simply aren't privy to.

Monahan doesn't seem like the kinda guy who is going to be a leader when he's got a mic in his face, but lo and behold they gave him an "A" when he was 21. Being captain isn't for everyone.

Not saying Bennett isn't captain material, we just don't know. But I definitely agree with all your other points, and I love how he plays the game we call hockey.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #236
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
40 games more and 2 years less...
Sorry I meant to say "figure the NHL out". Gaudreau went pointless for 5 NHL games and made the adjustments necessary to have success in the NHL. Bennett has taken longer to transition his offensive game from junior to pro. Took him longer to figure out what he could and couldn't do against NHL defensemen and goalies.

What's impressive with Bennett is that the rest of his game transitioned perfectly into the NHL almost immediately. Which is exactly why nobody was in panic mode when Bennett wasn't producing offense.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #237
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Meh... the only awards that mean anything are the ones voted on buy the players and team executives.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #238
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Bennett put his name on the 23 and under team for the World Cup?

The Flames could possibly have 4 players on that roster with Gaudreau, Bennett, Monahan, and Hamilton. Would be pretty exciting to say the least
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #239
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you count all the posts and disallowed goals, Bennett could almost be pushing 20 goals by now. Love Bennett's game. Even when he's not scoring, he's doing other things on the ice to help the team.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #240
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss the frickin threads so had to bump this one.

I just realized that Sam is getting all his points while still playing responsibly (minus penalties) at center. This is HUGE because he was getting most of his points on the wing last year and was super stagnant/streaky at center.

I'm back to super excited about Sam Fricken Bennett.