Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Should Ken King be fired?
Yes 204 76.40%
No 63 23.60%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #61
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish there was an I don't know or not sure option on the poll as to be honest I am not 100% certain what his job really is these days.

to me bingo's comments makes the most sense. I'd have to think that KK did not wake up one day and decide to whip together a powerpoint deck and trot out CalgaryNext. I would have to think that he was acting on behalf of the owners and they were completely in the loop on what was going on.

to me, KK is the public face of the owners and that people on here want to shoot the messenger.

seems to me that in 2004 KK could have said he was running for mayor and not made a speech or a promise or put up a poster and he would have been elected - seems that time has not been kind to KK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I won't get into what is happening because I don't know.

I can see ownership in the loop on a lot of things, so maybe it's a bit of an over reaction to be upset. I would assume most sports owners through a proxy want to be consulted on large ticket contracts or big trades, but I would hope that the issue would be dollars and impact to budget and not evaluation of hockey talent and team building.

To me that's the issue.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #62
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If we avoid another Phaneuf trade by having Ken King provide a final sanity check sign off I'm ok with that process.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #63
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't see that Bishop rumor being true considering Tampa moved him a couple days before the deadline and Yzerman stating that nothing else was on the table
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #64
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Can't see that Bishop rumor being true considering Tampa moved him a couple days before the deadline and Yzerman stating that nothing else was on the table
Good call.

Especially since if the Flames were involved it would have been two division rivals who were battling for the final playoff spot at the time.

Have to think having two teams involved there would have meant they could have driven up the price for at least more than a 6th rounder.

Although in order to do a lot of the other stuff they wanted to do they needed to move out that cap hit first.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #65
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we lose Treliving because of all of this, it will be very hard to come back and support this team.

I think it would be time for me to start voting with my wallet.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #66
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted no because I, like 99% here, have no idea what goes on behind closed doors to formulate an opinion on why a successful, stable economically viable company like the Flames should let it's CEO go because we recently got swept in the playoffs.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #67
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had some interactions with King over the years and truly believe he's a meddling, incompetent slimeball. Unfortunately unless there is a mass public outcry he ain't going anywhere.

As i said in the Tre thread:

There's really only 2 things you need to know about the Calgary Flames:

-Ken King is still not only employed but the President and CEO
-The franchise has won 4 playoff series in 27 years

It might really be better if this ownership group relocated the team so we could get different owners who actually had a clue on how to run a team because clearly Murray Edwards and friends do not.
home_sweet_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #68
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no doubt meddling in hockey ops used to be a problem, but I truly think Burke would be good at keeping that in check.

Everything else though? Eh never liked the guy. Comes across poorly, CalgaryNext was crap, etc

Should he be fired though? No idea, don't know the day to day goings on
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #69
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Voted no because I, like 99% here, have no idea what goes on behind closed doors to formulate an opinion on why a successful, stable economically viable company like the Flames should let it's CEO go because we recently got swept in the playoffs.
I believe there's a little more to it than the team's performance in the last week.

The organization he runs has performed far below average since the day he arrived.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #70
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where the Flames really missed their chance was with Shannahan. I recall the Flames tried to hire him for Burke's position but he wanted to be involved more in the business side and not just hockey Ops. Basically he would have replaced King but they didn't want to let King go and the Flames turned to Burke
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #71
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

He should have been fired long ago when he chose Brent Sutter over Darryl.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #72
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a sport's team to be a successful business, they need to have a great relationship with their community. The decision to spend money on sports is not always a rational one. Things like supporting publicly financing an arena, or buying season tickets in a down year to show your support. They have every right to try to get every last dollar they can from the people in Calgary, but at some point those people are going to turn on you, and that's not going to make for a healthy organization going forward.

There have been a lot of miscues lately that seem to be making people sour on the Flames a bit. Having a great relationship with the city and building community support should be the most important part of a job like King's and he seems to be failing at it pretty badly right now.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #73
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

When things don't work on the ice you change things up. Should the front office be any different? I'm not privy to any special info but has this group done anything to justify continued employment? I really don't know, what I do know is the team is one of the least successful when it comes to playoffs and seem to be in the news for all the wrong reasons. They do things completely different than any other organization and it clearly isn't working.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #74
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Should be gone for his bungling attempt to bully the city, its taxpayers and everyone else into accepting a flawed Calgary NEXT premise. It could have been done, but not that way, and now the chance may be irrevocably lost.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #75
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I'm not sure that's relevant. If the rumour is true and Yzerman gave the Flames 15 mins to make a decision, it would make sense that the Kings had made their offer for Bishop and likely had given Yzerman a similar deadline.

As for Yzerman stating that nothing else was on the table, have to take that with a micro grain of salt. Sports managers rarely let fans in on behind-the-scenes truth, for a plethora of understandably valid reasons.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #76
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am generally not super enthusiastic about threads calling for people to lose their jobs.

From where I am standing I am not sure that Ken King isn't actually doing a remarkable job. His bosses appear to think he is doing alright.

With Edwards im England now it is probably more important than ever he/they have King around to monitor the hockey ops situation. Bremner once said in an interview that he met with Edwards EVERY MORNING at 730 am. That is micromanagement to the max. If Edwards is physically no longer there to do that it is likely the responsibility has been given to King.

If what Daredevil is saying is accurate, I imagine that deal revolved around the flames signing bishop and reliving did not have the authority to add large salary liabilities without approval, which is probably not that outrageous in terms of standard operating procedure around the league.

That he has lasted through 4 gms and what, 7 coaches?, Should probably be am Indication the owners think he is doing alright.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #77
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I'm not sure that's relevant. If the rumour is true and Yzerman gave the Flames 15 mins to make a decision, it would make sense that the Kings had made their offer for Bishop and likely had given Yzerman a similar deadline.

As for Yzerman stating that nothing else was on the table, have to take that with a micro grain of salt. Sports managers rarely let fans in on behind-the-scenes truth, for a plethora of understandably valid reasons.
And Yzerman couldn't wait 15 minutes when Treliving told him he needs to talk to his boss? He doesn't want the best return for his player?

It just makes no sense.

Last edited by Ashasx; 04-21-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #78
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Geez Flash, really? You've been one of his most vocal critics over the years.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #79
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I think Flash's post is just a roundabout way of blaming ownership.

If they think he's doing a good job and this team has really had one great season in almost 3 decades (almost two of them with him at the helm), it's pretty accurate.

Last edited by nik-; 04-21-2017 at 09:33 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #80
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Definitely.

I want him and the team to be successful, but at this point I honestly don't think it is up to him. He is out of his element but his bosses want him right where he is.

Anyone who has ever been in a management role with a hands on or borderline disruptive owner should be able to identify with the organization right now. Everyone is rowing in a different direction.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote