Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #181
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Not worried about Bishop in that regard any more than any other goalie out there. At least Bishop has a track record of being an elite level NHL goalie while shouldering a starters work load, plus his history shows that he elevates his play come crunch time in the post season.

Goaltending has been this teams biggest weakness all through the rebuild, and it just cost us a playoff series.

We need to stock up until we find the answer and not wait around to see if our goalie prospects actually pan out. As good as some of them are, odds are still against them.

Say everything goes right and we:

1. Sign Bishop and he works as a starter
2. Trade for Pickard and he works as a backup
3. Gillies/Rittich/Parsons take huge steps

Unlikely but if it were to happen what we'd have would be assets that can be used to strengthen the team in another area, or add picks/prospects.

The Rangers turned Talbot into a 2nd and 3rd round pick
The Kings turned Bernier into a 2nd round pick, prospect (Frattin) and back up goalie (Scrivens), they then turned that back up goalie into a 3rd round pick
The Kings also packaged Jones up and turned him into a top 6 forward, the Bruins then flipped him for a 1st and a prospect
The Ducks turned Andersen into a 1st and 2nd round pick

Hopefully if the Flames stock up in this regard they not only end up with a great goalie tandem that won;t lose us playoff games, but also end up with assets they can trade to strengthen the org in other areas.

Very well said, would people be ok, if we went for a unknown like we did with Miikka Kiprusoff(he turned out to be awesome. The Oilers did the same with Talbot.

Also are you ok with running a young as a starter and Gillies as the back up or do you want a veteran to go with if Gillies(if it is him.)

Last edited by Par; 04-20-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #182
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would try to get Bishop on a 5 year $6MM/year deal, let Gillies be backup and mentored.

we can't have all of Gillies, Rittich and Parsons with Stockton so one of them has to be promoted. Gillies to NHL as backup penciled in for 15-20 games. Gives McDonald/Schneider time to develop in ECHL and Parsons/Rittich in AHL.

I think this would be best scenario to allow all our goalie prospects ice time to develop

Need to get rid of Brouwer so his $ can go to Bishop then we need to find top 6 RW.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #183
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I dread the idea of signing another second tier starting goalie for long term.

This teams history with goaltenders should tell you that it's a bad idea.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #184
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
I would try to get Bishop on a 5 year $6MM/year deal, let Gillies be backup and mentored.

we can't have all of Gillies, Rittich and Parsons with Stockton so one of them has to be promoted. Gillies to NHL as backup penciled in for 15-20 games. Gives McDonald/Schneider time to develop in ECHL and Parsons/Rittich in AHL.

I think this would be best scenario to allow all our goalie prospects ice time to develop

Need to get rid of Brouwer so his $ can go to Bishop then we need to find top 6 RW.

I would not give Bishop 5 years, 6 million at 3 years would be ideal.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #185
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty much the same scenario for me minus signing Bishop to a 5 year contract. My preference would be acquiring MAF since he only has 2 years left on his deal and with Gillies backing him up for 2 years then taking over the starters role.

MAF will be a 400-450 game winner by the time he's done his career (good for top 10 in all time wins) and the fact he is a 2 time Cup winner, maybe 3 this year if the Pens advance could be a great learning experience for someone like Gillies. This also gives time to get Parsons in the AHL for 2 years to develop his game further.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #186
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just dont think Fleury will come here. It's unlikely he will accept a trade anywhere, why would he.

He can force the Pens to buy him out, take the buy out $ and become a UFA and go anywhere. I see him heading to Dallas in that scenario.

I personally would love Fleury on this team but the assumption we can get him on his current contract is unrealistic IMHO. I think he will force a buy out and sign a new 5 year contract
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #187
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bishop will be our guy.

He was already close to being a Flame once and has probably warmed up to the idea. He even said at one point, he thought it was a done deal.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #188
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I just dont think Fleury will come here. It's unlikely he will accept a trade anywhere, why would he.

He can force the Pens to buy him out, take the buy out $ and become a UFA and go anywhere. I see him heading to Dallas in that scenario.

I personally would love Fleury on this team but the assumption we can get him on his current contract is unrealistic IMHO. I think he will force a buy out and sign a new 5 year contract
My first choice would be for the Flames to pry a budding young starter from another team, but Fleury is my second choice. I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere, but can someone tell me why Fleury got the start against CBJ in place of Matt Murray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #189
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
My first choice would be for the Flames to pry a budding young starter from another team, but Fleury is my second choice. I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere, but can someone tell me why Fleury got the start against CBJ in place of Matt Murray?
Murray injured himself in the warm-up for game 1
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #190
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Murray was injured.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #191
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, like everyone else said. Too slow.
Wasn't Murray injured in warmups?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #192
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Matt Murray got injured in practice or warmup
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #193
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Eric Duhatschek on the Fan960 right now, suggesting the Flames might want to consider Mike Smith for next year. (2 yrs remaining on his deal)

Ehh....
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #194
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Fleury may find out the hard way in free agency that there will be slim pickings for him getting a long term contract anywhere near the $5.75 million he's owed for the next two seasons. That said with the buyout money he wouldn't need to make as much in his next deal but the reality is that his suitors in free agency would be the same ones that would consider trading for him. If he wants to stay in the east the Islanders, Hurricanes, or possibly Sabres would be his only opportunities and those aren't exactly great places to be even at the best of times.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #195
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Eric Duhatschek on the Fan960 right now, suggesting the Flames might want to consider Mike Smith for next year. (2 yrs remaining on his deal)

Ehh....
No thanks. He's clearly on the decline and IMO maybe even a downgrade on Elliott.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #196
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
No thanks. He's clearly on the decline and IMO maybe even a downgrade on Elliott.
Yeah I wasn't a fan of that suggestion either but figured I'd pass it along.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #197
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Ehh....
I'd dismiss this out of hand. It's low hanging fruit speculation because of the Treliving/Coyotes connection.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #198
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bishop is the guy I wanted at the draft, the guy I wanted at the deadline and now the player I hope the Flames sign this summer. His poor season hopefully lowers his asking price and we can get him on a 3 year deal around $5.5 per
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #199
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Ehh....
This would surprise me. Treliving was in on Murray, Talbot, and Jones—I think his first choice is to find a young starting goalie.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #200
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Bishop is the guy I wanted at the draft, the guy I wanted at the deadline and now the player I hope the Flames sign this summer. His poor season hopefully lowers his asking price and we can get him on a 3 year deal around $5.5 per
I don't think Bishop will sign a 3-year deal, and this leaves me very hesitant to want to sign him.

Quote: