Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 AM   #41
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
July 1, 2016:
"Wow that is quickly going to be an anchor of a contract. Brouwer's alleged intangibles don't make up for his poor two-way play - which is already in decline. At least he's a decent net-front presence on the PP"
"It's a great signing. The Flames need size and grit and toughness and experience, which he brings. Consistent 40-point guy!"

Mid-February, 2017:
"Brouwer has been exactly as expected: an awful two-way player, and little in the way of grit or toughness. Can't believe the Flames signed up for three more years of this"
"Just watch, he'll bring it in the stretch drive and playoffs. This is the time of year he's made for and why the Flames signed him. He's just getting used to the system."

April 5, 2017:
"Brouwer has been awful in the stretch drive, and in a heated game against a hated rival completely backed down, leaving the dirty work to guys like Stajan and Monahan. Only three more years. Come on, Vegas, help the Flames out"
"Just wait, he'll step it up in the playoffs. He always does! That's what he's here for. Good in the room! Leadership!"

God, I hope the third time is the charm and the Brouwer supporters are finally right, because his play has been an absolute joke. Come on, Brouwer, turn on your elite intangibles and go on a hot streak.
Well, 0/3 for the Brouwer supporters, #asexpected.

Simply an awful mistake by Treliving. Anyone remotely into analytics knew Brouwer was already a two-way blackhole and one that was declining rapidly. The eye test also showed a guy who lived off powerplay points and who gained a "playoff performer" reputation based off an unsustainably high shooting percentage playoff run with the Blues, despite floundering every other time he played in the playoffs. Even going into free agency Brouwer was touted as the biggest mistake - before anyone had even signed him!

Then you factor in the groan-worthy "good in the room" nonsense.
Remember, when the usual suspects go on with their "good in the room" rhetoric, there are two kinds of "good in the room", and they often confuse them.

"good in the room", according to management. These are the guys who go hard in practice everyday, are dedicated in the gym, call out slackers, say the right things in the media, never satisfied, etc. Think Sidney Crosby, Jonathan Toews, Patrice Bergeron, John Tavares, Shane Doan, etc.

"good in the room", according to the players. These are the guys who keep things light in practice, don't hesitate to slam a couple with the boys on a moments notice, don't take things too seriously, aren't giant dickheads, are almost universally loved - they are playing in the Never Hungry League after all. Think Joe Thornton, Mike Commodore, Taylor Hall, Alex Ovechkin, Shea Weber, etc.

The problem is when you go too extreme on one side and can't back it up. Brouwer is firmly in the "good in the room", according to management group. But, like when the ####tiest player on your beer league team is always the guy yelling at guys to "be the first to the puck", "want it more than them", "cover the points", and whatever other cliches they spit out, all while going dash three every game, it gets old real fast. How about you go and do what you're preaching before getting on everyone else's case? Brouwer needs to put in a good off-season and put up or shut-up, frankly. because nobody wants to be submarined by an anchor and then get told by the anchor what they allegedly did wrong. Or, hopefully he's with Vegas come July.

And, yes. The Flames have to seriously consider offering Vegas an asset to take him. The Flames are entering their window and every dime is imperative.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 04-20-2017 at 02:47 AM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 AM   #42
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't hate Brouwer, but I am severely disappointed in his season, mostly for the stuff he was supposed to bring to the team that it was lacking: toughness, intensity, forechecking, heavy game, leadership, scoring gritty goals in front of the net. I think I saw him score more goals on shots from the high slot or above the face-off dot than I saw him grind out in the crease. It's like he forgot who he was and how he's been successful in the past. I never expected him to be Mikael Backlund in terms of possession, but he was supposed to bring other things to the table.

I'm ok with Vegas taking him off our hands, but I suspect they won't. If we're stuck with him, I hope he has a serious talk with the coaching and management team and they remind him of why he was brought in.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #43
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Never sign these type of guys for more than 3 years! We were better off signing him for 5.5x2.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #44
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Wow, that's a brilliant stat. Thanks.

What stat would you like to use?

He's right....its not like Gaudreau earned his wage out there either. Not a fan of Brouwer. But i'm happy we are paying sub $7mm for Johnny vs some of the other lofty contract numbers rumored in the fall. Super talented but his size was a problem in a series against a big team like this. Tough for him to be the best player on the ice in the playoffs.

EDIT: i derailed this nice chat about troy. I think its best for all if Troy goes to LV.

Last edited by dustygoon; 04-20-2017 at 07:42 AM.
dustygoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #45
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you compare Brouwer to Michael Frolik, who got essentially the same contact the year before, it's like night and day...

Brouwer plays like a 4th liner and I was expecting a 2nd liner...
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #46
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brouwer can pack his "S" and hit the road.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #47
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never liked the player, hated the contract, tried to warm up to him but he did nothing for me or the team. Goodbye.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #48
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
What's with all the comparisons to David Jones? David Jones scored a big goal for us against the Canucks in Game 1 two years ago. Brouwer didn't do that.

It's ironic that a year ago we were talking about maybe trading with Vegas so they agree NOT to take someone off our roster. Now we can't ship Brouwer to Vegas fast enough.
It's come to this? David Jones is more valuable than Troy Brouwer? The David Jones that retired from the league because no one wanted to re-sign him?

Lots of hate about the contract and while it is less than ideal, he was a ufa and probably was getting offers from other teams that were probably in this range. Had an off year which may be explained by a broken finger which may have hampered his production/performance.

We had a dearth of rw prospects and still don't have much in the pipeline. I'm probably in the minority but he's not a bad placeholder until we can develop his replacement from Stockton.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #49
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Management HAS to find a way to get out of that contract.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #50
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
It's come to this? David Jones is more valuable than Troy Brouwer? The David Jones that retired from the league because no one wanted to re-sign him?
If Brouwer's deal was up after this year I can guarantee that no one would want to sign him.

Jones had 11 goals in his last season, Brouwer had 12 this year

Jones could actually perform in the playoffs

Jones could actually play physically

Brouwer is the definition of useless

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #51
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought he was a little better in the playoffs but wasn't good all season.

Hopefully Las Vegas takes a flyer on him but if not hopefully we see a bounce back year. Frolic wasn't the greatest in his first season here either and was much better in year 2.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #52
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

hated the contract from day one.

in fact, hated the signing the day before, when rumour came out that calgary was interested. a huge liability who is poor defensively, poor offensively, poor in transition. astonishing lack of both tools and smarts. no speed, no hands, horrible on the cycle. ok at screens but does nothing to help get the puck in a shooting position. as i said in the brouwer thread, he doesn't even block shots even though no one but bartkowski is stuck in their own end getting shot at more per minute of ice time. a truly horrendous player who makes his linemates worse about as much as Crosby makes his linemates better. can't stand to see him get gifted the a right off the bat and chances upon chances in the best scenarios and flub every single one and still get chances.

iirc there was a lot of hostility towards ppl who looked into analytics for brouwer and predicted this would happen. I can't believe the same gm who brought frolik also targeted this guy. hope to the gods that he's gone next year
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #53
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can you believe this guy wore a letter on his jersey this season... Lol.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #54
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If Brouwer's deal was up after this year I can guarantee that no one would want to sign him.

Jones had 11 goals in his last season, Brouwer had 12 this year

Jones could actually perform in the playoffs

Jones could actually play physically

Brouwer is the definition of useless
You can guarantee that no one would want Brouwer hey? Who is your source on this, the man having lunch?

Jones scored 11, Brouwer scored 12. Thanks for statistically proving that Brouwer is better.

Jones did so well in the playoffs that no one wanted him. Proven playoff performers get contract offers, Jones did not.

Nice try in trying to derail a Troy Brouwer thread to a David Jones appreciation thread.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #55
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I wanted to like this signing as he would have been a nice add if we had gotten the playoff version from St. Louis.

Instead he never really brought much on the ice and his performance wasn't up to what his contract level. Not the kind of signing that helps a team, and yet another example of a free agent signing that doesn't work out.
SilverKast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

His playoff experience is exaggerated after a great playoffs last year. His numbers are not very good beyond that.

Unfortunately that's what happens in this league. You get paid for your previous seasons work, not your career numbers.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #57
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Only 3 years at 4.5 million left lol!
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #58
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I've seen Brouwer plenty before this season. This is not the same guy I thought we were getting. I wonder if he has been playing hurt all season.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #59
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was okay with the signing at the time but it quickly proved to be a massive mistake. I hated how much ice he was given in the playoffs and he was terrible. I am holding out hope he is claimed in the expansion draft. History with McPhee and the lack of good options from Calgary might help make that a reality
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #60
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Treliving's biggest mistake.
Agreed. And lets hope it stays that way. It's a bad contract, but isn't even close to the worst one in the division, let alone the rest of the league.

That's not exactly a selling point and he was a big disappointment, but an overpaid, slowing veteran is as common as a back-up goalie in the NHL.

Hopefully the Flames can dump him on Las Vegas, but I think they do know as much as we do. I don't know why they would. The only reason that makes sense is to get to the cap floor, but is that really going to be a problem? I don't know. Doesn't seem like it should be.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote