Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2021, 12:42 AM   #2461
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
This is all bunk. you have no idea how CSEC operates with their partners, the City of Calgary. If you think it is true show proof, or go work for CNN
No proof is necessary. If it is associated in any way with the Calgary Flames, it automatically sucks. It is known.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:33 PM   #2462
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
This is all bunk. you have no idea how CSEC operates with their partners, the City of Calgary. If you think it is true show proof, or go work for CNN
Well you can assume based on motivation until evidence says otherwise.

CSEC is profit driven, and that is the entire point of the arena. They want more boxes and more $$ seats and amenities.

They now are investing a lot of cash to get these items, only reasonable to assume they will want to leverage that cash against the public dollar and influence the design as much as possible to obtain the greatest gain to them

This is a reasonable assumption, backed by their actions (i.e. CalgaryNEXT proposed financing model and design/incorporation into the area).

Is it 100% guaranteed to be correct? No, but until we have more data its hardly something to come down on someone given its a fair shot?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #2463
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well one good thing is that the price of lumber has gone down. Not sure about steel.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #2464
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Wasn't trying to defend the oiler deal.

My point was king king making fun of the length of the oiler agreement negotiations and how public it was, only to come out with the joke that was Calgary next. Then taking even longer for the flames agreement to finally coming about and having it just as public with the same relocation threats and everything else.

It was enjoyable to follow, was all I was saying.
I'm with you on this. As a Calgarian, I was able to look at the Edmonton deal and turn my nose up at it. It was not a wonderful deal for Edmonton, they took on a ton of debt, and the Oilers payment towards it is pretty much just an agreement to keep paying rent for a few decades, as a lot of their payment is baked into their lease. Then CalgaryNext came out, and it was an absolute kick in the balls. Even if you didn't have balls, you looked at the deal and said "ow, my balls!". It was the picture of entitled business explaining to the public that it was planning on making the public pay them just to stay in business. And my own desire to see a new arena was tamped down harder when the negative reaction led to the roundabout threats of leaving. If your response to the taxpayers not wanting to hand you over everything for nothing is to threaten to leave, then I would rather say goodbye to the team I love than give them what they demand. With how much the league gets for expansion fees, if there are any cities that are willing to pony up the cash, why would the NHL care to forego that cash to let Flames ownership move the team to a new market with no guarantees. Further to that, what city is so desperate for an NHL team that it will take on a half billion dollar taxpayer funded arena to get one.

I have very little doubts as to how the Flames as an organization see this city, and wouldn't trust them for a second to not make the choice that maximizes profits, no matter what the cost is to the city or its residents, ie. their fans.
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #2465
carmenshoes
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just curious who’s buying the flames to keep them here if they can’t get an arena deal that Edwards and co would be happy with?
carmenshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:06 PM   #2466
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenshoes View Post
Just curious who’s buying the flames to keep them here if they can’t get an arena deal that Edwards and co would be happy with?
Shaws, Southerns, Mannix, Werklund, or maybe Brad's Dad?

Or some rich people in Sask or BC or anywhere for that matter. Jim Pattison owned the Calgary Cowboys. Chip Wilson is a U of C alumni.

The teams in the east are neither cheap nor available. It's an exclusive club...there's only one way to find out who might want to join.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #2467
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Shaws, Southerns, Mannix, Werklund, or maybe Brad's Dad?

Or some rich people in Sask or BC or anywhere for that matter. Jim Pattison owned the Calgary Cowboys. Chip Wilson is a U of C alumni.

The teams in the east are neither cheap nor available. It's an exclusive club...there's only one way to find out who might want to join.
I could see Joyce or Riddell being interested as well.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 05:44 PM   #2468
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I could see Joyce or Riddell being interested as well.
Riddell was a Flames owner and died a few years ago. Not sure what happened to his stake. 4 kids, so the fortune is probably a bit diluted

Elder Joyce is also dead, but only 2 sons (one of whom faced sexual assault allegations in 2015)...

It's been a while since a Canadian franchise changed ownership:

WPG - 2011

EDM - 2008

VAN - 2004-2006ish

OTT - 2003

TOR - 2011ish, but complicated and Tannebaum was involved since the mid 90s

MTL - A bit complicated, but hasn't really been 'for sale' for a long time (in/out of Molsons)

We know there is a keen ownership group in Quebec, but there could be plenty of other interested parties. Brett Wilson has a minority stake in the Predators...I imagine there are a few other Canadians who would be keen to buy-in. If it came down to keeping the team in town, I could see the Haskaynes stepping up.

It also wouldn't have to be a full ~$500M, but 50.1% of it. Of course, it's all moo at this point.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:31 PM   #2469
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question though is whether anyone wants to buy the Flames but not move them into a new arena, or build one on their own. I think that is a tall order.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #2470
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It also wouldn't have to be a full ~$500M, but 50.1% of it. Of course, it's all moo at this point.
Why only 50.1%? If the existing owners want to sell, they are most unlikely to accept an offer that would leave them stuck with a minority stake in a wasting asset.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:24 PM   #2471
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenshoes View Post

Edwards could simply choose to move them to Houston, he doesn’t have to sell them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:29 PM   #2472
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Edwards could simply choose to move them to Houston, he doesn’t have to sell them.
I don't think "simply" is the right word. The NHL has always prioritized finding new local owners before allowing a relocation. Also, a relocation fee would be hundreds of millions anyways.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #2473
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I find it hilarious that you believe Edwards and fertitta could coexist in an arena owned by Fertitta.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #2474
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Also, a relocation fee would be hundreds of millions anyways.
Why do you assume this? The last relocation fee, I believe, was $60 million to move the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:10 PM   #2475
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Why do you assume this? The last relocation fee, I believe, was $60 million to move the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg.
I don't see the NHL owners giving up the Houston marlet for $60MM. A lot has changed in 10 years with the major succuss of Vegas and Seattle.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #2476
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I read the next relocation fee will be over $100M.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #2477
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
I don't see the NHL owners giving up the Houston marlet for $60MM. A lot has changed in 10 years with the major succuss of Vegas and Seattle.
From all I've heard, the league has no plans to expand beyond 32 teams. That partly accounts for the high prices they were able to get from Vegas and Seattle: everybody knew it was the last kick at the expansion can.

If they're not expanding, the only way into the Houston market is by relocation; so the owners are not ‘giving up’ anything. They can only charge whatever relocation fee the market will bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think I read the next relocation fee will be over $100M.
Since nobody knows when or where the next relocation will occur, how could they possibly know what the fee will be? It's all idle speculation at this point.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #2478
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
From all I've heard, the league has no plans to expand beyond 32 teams. That partly accounts for the high prices they were able to get from Vegas and Seattle: everybody knew it was the last kick at the expansion can.

If they're not expanding, the only way into the Houston market is by relocation; so the owners are not ‘giving up’ anything. They can only charge whatever relocation fee the market will bear.

Since nobody knows when or where the next relocation will occur, how could they possibly know what the fee will be? It's all idle speculation at this point.
Well, we know how much they demanded to relocate the Coyotes, and it was more than the Thrashers. They are required to use economic experts to assess the fee. And it may be speculation, but it ain’t idle:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...s-on-thin-ice/
Old 07-05-2021, 01:31 AM   #2479
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was in a construction meeting about the arena last week. It’s going ahead people, this is just part of the process.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:13 AM   #2480
CgyFlamesftw
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
I was in a construction meeting about the arena last week. It’s going ahead people, this is just part of the process.
Can confirm, I as well work for one of the GC’s. It’s all but sealed just few minor details. And the construction end date is staying the same. 6 months behind schedule however so that will be a challenge.
CgyFlamesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to CgyFlamesftw For This Useful Post: