Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default University of Alberta Email Question

Hey Guys,

I attended U of A for 3 years in economics, and recently switched out of U of A about a year ago to another school to take an accounting degree.

My question is are they going to shutdown my email account? All my bills are sent to that account, and it is the only email account that i can access at work.

If nobody knows how did it work at your school. I'm concerned about losing this account, and would be willing to pay to keep it open.

Anyways, any idea how this works? Do i get to keep it forever, or is it a two year thing or what?

Thanks for any help.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
stuckinchuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been done since 2006, and it still works. I'm pretty sure it's lifetime, but maybe you should try calling the registrar? Then again, i graduated there, so it might be different for people who don't complete the program.
stuckinchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post
Hey Guys,

I attended U of A for 3 years in economics, and recently switched out of U of A about a year ago to another school to take an accounting degree.

My question is are they going to shutdown my email account? All my bills are sent to that account, and it is the only email account that i can access at work.

If nobody knows how did it work at your school. I'm concerned about losing this account, and would be willing to pay to keep it open.

Anyways, any idea how this works? Do i get to keep it forever, or is it a two year thing or what?

Thanks for any help.
I also went to the University of Alberta and like you am also a part of their Alumni. I helped/worked in their IT department for a summer and the policy was that the alumni of U of A would have their email intact forever. (This was up until 2006 for sure. I'm not sure if it changed after but I doubt it.)
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
I also went to the University of Alberta and like you am also a part of their Alumni. I helped/worked in their IT department for a summer and the policy was that the alumni of U of A would have their email intact forever. (This was up until 2006 for sure. I'm not sure if it changed after but I doubt it.)
Thanks for the info. Am i considered alumni though? I never finished my degree there.

Also, if i was to go to SUB and use putty would i still be able to access the wireless to study there? I still live right beside the U of A.
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finner View Post
Thanks for the info. Am i considered alumni though? I never finished my degree there.

Also, if i was to go to SUB and use putty would i still be able to access the wireless to study there? I still live right beside the U of A.
No problem. Good question though about being an alumni. I finished my degree there and know for sure if you finish there they keep your account intact. If you don't i'm sure they still keep it open as they did in the past but call the IT department and ask (i'm not certain if they keep it open or not if you didn't finish there).
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote