Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #41
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Strickland just tweeted that there is some no move protection as well!! This just keeps getting better
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesNation23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #42
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Neal replacement
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #43
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesNation23 View Post
Strickland just tweeted that there is some no move protection as well!! This just keeps getting better
That’s the poison pill makes an albatross contract so much worse.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #44
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ONLY reason to give him eight years is to lower the AAV, even slightly. Is that worth a draft pick to the Oil? I guess we’ll see but it reeks of desperation to try and maneuver the best possible lineup now while staying under the cap. A team that got swept in the first round going all in — in July.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I like Hyman, really good player and the type of guy every team needs, but this is insanity.

Also signals to me that it's likely McDavid has management on notice that if the team isnt improved, drastically, this season he wants to move on.

Pure desperation to give out that term on a guy who lays his body on the line to be effective.
Yeah it seems Holland was hell bent on acquiring this player and maybe has some sort of ultimatum. If you told me three months ago that Hyman would be getting a 7 or 8 year deal I wouldn't have believe you. This is crazy stuff.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hilarious that Hymand and RNH will be Oilers well after Draisaitl and McDavid leave for greener pastures.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 08:07 AM   #47
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers have such a bizarre way of going about things. On a team that has a very good offense with no D or solid goaltending they spend big money to address the offense.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #48
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two things about either deal, regardless of which is signed.

1. This deal should be pretty good for the first 3 years or so, barring further injury to Hyman. He's definitely worth 5 million bucks for what he brings to the table. I also think that his playing style will complement either Draisaitl or McDavid, regardless of where they choose to put him. The problem is obviously the back half of the deal. Can you LTIR someone for five years?

2. Despite what I just said, we thought the same thing about the Clarkson, Eriksson, Lucic, etc etc deals. "This will be fine for a few years, but the back half of it is going to get ugly".

It wasn't fine for a few years. It got ugly quick. I look forward to more of the same in this case.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #49
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes it is too long but Hyman on the Oilers make them a better team this year.

The Oilers and Vegas seem to be 1 -2 in the Pacific.

Seattle already has a competitive lineup and have room for 4-5 UFA contracts should they want them.... or have room for Johnson and Killorn as TB (for example) still needs to get rid of cap space.

Flames and Canucks look to be getting ready to make a run for the bubble....

It will be interesting if the Flames do minor adjustments or major reload.

Getting UFA's is really really risky so are the Flames going to make significant trades?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #50
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just pouring over the salt on HFOilers and they are all speculating that Nurse will command $8mil/yr as well.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 08:19 AM   #51
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Oilers sign Hyman (8yrs, ~$5.125mil AAV or 7yrs, ~$5.5 mil AAV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Two things about either deal, regardless of which is signed.

1. This deal should be pretty good for the first 3 years or so, barring further injury to Hyman. He's definitely worth 5 million bucks for what he brings to the table. I also think that his playing style will complement either Draisaitl or McDavid, regardless of where they choose to put him. The problem is obviously the back half of the deal. Can you LTIR someone for five years?

2. Despite what I just said, we thought the same thing about the Clarkson, Eriksson, Lucic, etc etc deals. "This will be fine for a few years, but the back half of it is going to get ugly".

It wasn't fine for a few years. It got ugly quick. I look forward to more of the same in this case.

I think Holland knows he has a very limited window to please McDavid and draisaitl. It really doesn’t matter to him how screwed the team will be in 4 years or even 2 years because I think he only has 1-2 years to get results that please the superstars. The trade requests will likely be made public by then and the music stops anyways.

Also why he won’t care about buying out both koskinen and Neal. It hurts the oilers in the long run but that doesn’t matter. He’ll likely buy out both of them and then overpay for Andersson in goal. He doesn’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:19 AM   #52
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

again, you forfeit the privilege of making fun of other GMs when yours is just as bad at putting together a solid roster.

Last edited by Elkyiv; 07-22-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #53
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Please bleed another draft pick, save another soul!!
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #54
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
CF has the Oil with 11.2M in Cap space and they haven’t recorded Hyman or Smith yet. So now they have $4M to sign or replace Yamamoto, Kahun, Khaira, Barrie, and any extras like Chiasson, Ennis, Patrick Russell, Koekkok and Kulikov. Yamamoto’s gonna want over half that money. They can’t sign Barrie.
Capfriendly is a little misleading, because it has Alex stalock, broberg, lagesson and Klefbom on the roster. Once Klefbom goes LTIR and those other guys get moved down, there’s quite a bit of room still, and that’s without buying anyone out.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #55
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the picks that the Oilers have, and they don't have a bunch, Toronto must be holding out for the 4th round pick. Toronto would be doing doing the Oilers a big favour cutting the cap hit down by 400k. As a GM, I probably not worth helping out a team for a 6th or 7th. It needs to be more.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:27 AM   #56
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

He will score probably 30+ goals and 55 points for the first 2-3 seasons.

Then... well...

Who cares at that point, but it will be funny to talk about for sure.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #57
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the 8 years is kind of irrelevant at this point. Really, the Oilers have a 4 to 5 year window left to win anything. I just don't see McDavid sticking longer with the Oilers past that, especially if the last 5 years plays out like how his previous 6 have so far in Edmonton. So Holland doesn't care about term. He wants to load up on the team now.

Problem is, he spent it on the wrong position. Oilers don't have any trouble scoring, so not sure why he felt he had to bolster the forward line. They need better dmen.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #58
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
again, you forfeit the privilege of making fun of other GMs when yours is just as bad at putting together a solid roster.
no you don't - making fun of other GMs, and in particular the Oilers' GM, is ALWAYS fair game
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #59
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
no you don't - making fun of other GMs, and in particular the Oilers' GM, is ALWAYS fair game
Sooooooooo we were good to go on Francis yesterday?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #60
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1418218013631918080
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote