Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2021, 06:58 PM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ask them if they'd mind moving their stuff into the basement, and while they're down there if they can check the mouse traps, yeah that'd be great.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Once normal office life resumes…

Grab a cup of coffee and walk around once a day and talk to your reports individually. It doesn’t necessarily need to be about work and it doesn’t need to be more than a couple of minutes.

Ask how their weekend was, ask how their kids are doing. Ask if they are challenged, ask if their plate is full, ask about their hurdles. Just talk to and engage them.
Honestly, I always hated this when managers did that, it just rankled me and felt insincere if a manager starts engaging in coffee talk and then jumps into work stuff, it smacked as insincere and a bit like either office psychology tactics, or even a bit micromanagy.

Especially in an open office space.

its ok to have water cooler talk, or a personal synch, but don't mix the two. But I'm not the guy that likes talking about personal stuff at work with a manager.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #43
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not gonna lie when I had a manager the worst was when they came to talk without actually having anything to discuss.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #44
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe this depends on the level of people you are managing but you need to adapt your style to the employee. You'll have some who will want constant feedback and input and others who want you to stay out of the way and get involved only when needed. One size fits all doesn't work on employees beyond the entry level.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #45
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for all the advice, although I am a little disappointed no one posted a picture of Ralph Wiggum calling me "Super Nintendo Pseudo".

I felt a little more comfortable the second day. I've been a front-line supervisor and project/program manager since I finished uni 17 years ago, but this is my first gig as "the" boss, i.e. top dog in the building. Actually, there are two offices that report to me, but I digress.

I also found out today that I get to hire a personal secretary administrative assistant. It is so funny. In my younger years, it was something that I thought would be so awesome and such a power move, but now I don't if I want someone that embedded in my professional life. I think I will get over it though. Having someone manage my calendar, draft letters, and remind me of outstanding deliverables/deadlines does sound pretty sweet.

Last edited by pseudoreality; 07-16-2021 at 08:13 PM. Reason: html code update
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #46
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Honestly, I always hated this when managers did that, it just rankled me and felt insincere if a manager starts engaging in coffee talk and then jumps into work stuff, it smacked as insincere and a bit like either office psychology tactics, or even a bit micromanagy.

its ok to have water cooler talk, or a personal synch, but don't mix the two. But I'm not the guy that likes talking about personal stuff at work with a manager.
I think the situation and environment can definitely dictate acceptable and proficient management styles. Certainly the open office environment you describe is significantly different than the one I work in. I work for a smaller outfit in which many of my coworkers have been together for a decade or longer.

We are all very close and try to be extremely in tune with the state of our company culture.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #47
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:28 PM   #48
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

You don't have to go around every day and ask "So, how about that local sports team?"
But a quick walk to say "Good morning, ________" is always appreciated. It's much better than holing ones self in the office and never looking up when your staff walk in the door.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:11 AM   #49
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

The coffee walk and chat is a great idea.

But keep it casual. A quick check in on employees to see how they're doing and not what their doing builds rapport and comfort level.

While you might not get any 'technical' stuff done. Showing you value employees, and genuinely are checking in "who was the weekend/the kids/common interest" will do so much more to help productivity than nose in their work ever would.

The parcel I'm at now I'm at the bottom of the ladder. Went from the top to the bottom. But I still do the same management things I always did. Check in, talk to the others, build rapport with the boss. Now I do this naturally anyway, it's not a scheme. But when things go sideways, I know they have my back. Same goes the other way too. I've reworked my schedule to help in the past, will do so in the future.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered having each employee sign a 'Loyalty Oath' promising to serve you regardless of the absurdity of your requests?

I've heard employees love those...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2021, 01:22 PM   #51
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Have you considered having each employee sign a 'Loyalty Oath' promising to serve you regardless of the absurdity of your requests?

I've heard employees love those...
Pretty sure HR probably took care of that during the onboarding process

pseudoreality, the best advice I can offer you is to stay humble in your new role and when it comes to dealing with your employees, just don’t be a jerk. If you can manage to do both you’ll be fine, it’s really that simple. Don’t focus on making sure everyone likes you as a boss, focus on making sure they know they are respected and I guarantee that respect will be reciprocated. Most employees understand that their bosses have to make difficult decisions at times and that that can lead to difficult conversations. While you can’t always avoid those scenarios, so long as you treat people with respect it makes every situation(including the difficult ones) easier for you and your employees to deal with.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #52
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
The coffee walk and chat is a great idea.

But keep it casual. A quick check in on employees to see how they're doing and not what their doing builds rapport and comfort level.

While you might not get any 'technical' stuff done. Showing you value employees, and genuinely are checking in "who was the weekend/the kids/common interest" will do so much more to help productivity than nose in their work ever would.

The parcel I'm at now I'm at the bottom of the ladder. Went from the top to the bottom. But I still do the same management things I always did. Check in, talk to the others, build rapport with the boss. Now I do this naturally anyway, it's not a scheme. But when things go sideways, I know they have my back. Same goes the other way too. I've reworked my schedule to help in the past, will do so in the future.
I think this is pretty awful advice. Wandering around with a coffee chatting to people individually makes you come across as a disingenuous time waster, IMO. It literally does the opposite of improving productivity. Say it takes you a man hour every Monday to scamper around interrupting people to ask about their weekend, that's now two man hours because you have to double the time for every employee you've pestered. That's dozens of man hours wasted per year just doing this one ineffective thing. A conversation that comes about organically is totally different, but this kind of move reeks of social awkwardness and just looks like amateur hour spurred on by somebody who read the latest 'management 101' book.

It's unlikely anybody in the office will ask you to stop doing it, though, because who wants to put the brakes on the 'friendly guy,' but I guarantee you this is not a professional thing to be doing, particularly since you mentioned you are now junior in the office. Try just coming in and doing your work - you'll get much more respect and you'll always have time to catch up with people through the day and week at more natural, non-disruptive times.

Moving onto other things talked about in the thread, I know it's current best practice to do one on ones regularly, but my problem with them is I don't think most managers are qualified to coach their subordinates in any sort of meaningful way. It brings to mind the Standford prison experiment whereby students where assigned to be prisoners or guards in a fake prison and quickly assumed their respective roles and before long (like literally hours/days) these unqualified 'guards' were power-tripping on their subservient 'prisoners.' When somebody is promoted to manager, I don't care how many lunch-and-learns they've attended, they're not competent enough to become anybody's mentor. Unfortunately, I see managers and employees acting like psychologists/patients in one-on-ones and it's very unhealthy.

Best way to approach being a manager is to structure things such that your employees can clock out at 4:30 to the extent possible and don't bug them on weekends and evenings to the extent possible. Model the behaviour you want to see, and allow people the time and space they need outside of work to be healthy individuals who aren't on the verge of burnout and under too much stress. Recognize that for many subordinates, this is just a job they have to enable them to build a personal life. Don't fool yourself into thinking your team is doing god's work.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #53
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Thanks for all the advice, although I am a little disappointed no one posted a picture of Ralph Wiggum calling me "Super Nintendo Pseudo".
Here you go, boss..

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2021, 07:50 PM   #54
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

First item of discussion.....

Any mention of further or extended union activities will be met with immediate discipline by flogging.

Then you have to clean the latrines.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #55
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Similar boat. After a decade of working under various lawyers, started my own firm with a colleague late last year. Fortunately we're starting small and are working with people we know for the most part, so we can take our time learning and can make changes on a dime if necessary.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #56
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
First item of discussion.....

Any mention of further or extended union activities will be met with immediate discipline by flogging.

Then you have to clean the latrines.
I don’t think pseudo is running a Walmart
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:55 PM   #57
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you ask single young employees how their weekend was they will tell you, and that’s a half hour of your life wasted.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:32 PM   #58
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Grab a cup of coffee and walk around once a day and talk to your reports individually. It doesn’t necessarily need to be about work and it doesn’t need to be more than a couple of minutes.

Ask how their weekend was, ask how their kids are doing. Ask if they are challenged, ask if their plate is full, ask about their hurdles. Just talk to and engage them.
Absolutely this.

The value of face to face communication in an age where the vast majority of it is done virtually cannot be overstated. Makes all the difference, and it takes one brief conversation to have a person feel like their work and presence really is valued, which is essential.

Conversely, the effect of complacency on that front has a trickle down effect as every one below you cuts corners and becomes increasingly dissatisfied and less communicative as a result of working in an environment where they feel like a spoke on the wheel, more than people.

Biggest mistake I've seen in my workplace lately is the big boss bringing in immature managers with poor listening skills, who talk about themselves but suck at asking questions and building rapport, and who take hints of distespect personally. It's a recipe for disaster.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #59
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

ugh. I hate this.
my first thought when a boss does this is "don't you have anything better to do?"

maybe it works in a small company, but generally? no thanks.

one thing to have an organic bump into you chat, no.
don't grab your coffee and look like this guy

GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #60
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
ugh. I hate this.
my first thought when a boss does this is "don't you have anything better to do?"

maybe it works in a small company, but generally? no thanks.

one thing to have an organic bump into you chat, no.
don't grab your coffee and look like this guy

Wouldn't work in a small company, either. As a big fish in a little pond myself, if somebody under me did this I'd put a stop to it within two days.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: