Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 08:42 AM   #5941
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
but look at it from the other side. What would it take to make sense for the Jackets? If they have the best asset in the deal, it can't be as someone suggested "Monahan + Kylington + 2nd"

Kylington doesn't add any value to the deal, and I don't think a second is enough when comparing Monahan and PLD. maybe The flames do think that's fair. I think the second rounder has to be the first at the very least, to have the Jackets seriously consider a deal.

This is a situation where you have to give to get if the Flames believe PLD is a tier above Monahan.
Except it’s PLD who wants out, not Monahan.

Some of us are also not realizing that in two season’s time PLD could whine and sulk again. But, at least he’d be an RFA.

PLD for Monahan one for one is fair, based on the circumstances. The Flames adding a 2nd rounder that turns into a 1st if we make the playoffs and maybe a project prospect (someone in our 15-25 ranked prospect range) is more than enough coming from our end.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 09:10 AM   #5942
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
I would much rather go after someone like Filip Forsberg to be honest.

He would fit in well with our players both in style and age. He would be able to play top line RW, provide a solid all around game and would more than likely re-sign here after his contract is up.

Having a center like PLD would be cool yes but our right side is truly our Achilles heal. This is all of course hypothetical based on if he wants to re-up with Nashville next season.

Bring on the Swedes!!!!
No indication that Forsberg wants to leave Nashville, and why would Nashville be interested in giving up their top goal scorer? We are talking about PLD precisely because we know he wants to move, we can't just hope to acquire great players because we want them.

Hey I really think we should acquire Victor Hedman, because Swedish D are awesome and we don't have enough of them! Based on the hypothetical that he won't sign another contract in Tampa Bay.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #5943
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

NJ saves Dell from Edmonton

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Devils have claimed goalie Aaron Dell off waivers from Toronto
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #5944
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol
Old 01-18-2021, 10:06 AM   #5945
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
No indication that Forsberg wants to leave Nashville, and why would Nashville be interested in giving up their top goal scorer? We are talking about PLD precisely because we know he wants to move, we can't just hope to acquire great players because we want them.

Hey I really think we should acquire Victor Hedman, because Swedish D are awesome and we don't have enough of them! Based on the hypothetical that he won't sign another contract in Tampa Bay.
His contract is up next year, Hedman's contract is up in like 8 years..

Never said Forsberg wants to leave, I made a simple suggestion based on value brought in and how it would affect the team. PLD is going to cost a fortune and may not even be better than Lindholm at center. Forsberg would be our top RW without any questions asked.

I just think it is a better fit.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #5946
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Except it’s PLD who wants out, not Monahan.

Some of us are also not realizing that in two season’s time PLD could whine and sulk again. But, at least he’d be an RFA.

PLD for Monahan one for one is fair, based on the circumstances. The Flames adding a 2nd rounder that turns into a 1st if we make the playoffs and maybe a project prospect (someone in our 15-25 ranked prospect range) is more than enough coming from our end.
I disagree with the bolded. It's fair for the flames maybe.
The general consensus is that PLD is already an excellent two way player with a huge upside, and going forward will likely be the better player of the two.

maybe if PLD had held out, I'd view it differently, but considering that PLD signed for two years, the Jackets are not under pressure right now to just give him away. The can afford to wait for a better deal than a one for one with arguably lesser player.
Kekäläinen is no Chiarelli.

now adding a first evens it out, but I just don't see a one for one happening, not with a GM as good as the one the Jackets have.
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #5947
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The general consensus is that PLD is already an excellent two way player with a huge upside, and going forward will likely be the better player of the two.

maybe if PLD had held out, I'd view it differently, but considering that PLD signed for two years, the Jackets are not under pressure right now to just give him away. The can afford to wait for a better deal than a one for one with arguably lesser player.

now adding a first evens it out, but I just don't see a one for one happening, not with a GM as good as the one the Jackets have.
I agree about adding a 1st, or something in that ballpark.

However, I don't agree that waiting will give them a better return. The situation is already starting to get toxic, and it is unlikely to improve much with Torts at the helm.

The longer this goes, the less Columbus is getting back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #5948
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I agree about adding a 1st, or something in that ballpark.

However, I don't agree that waiting will give them a better return. The situation is already starting to get toxic, and it is unlikely to improve much with Torts at the helm.

The longer this goes, the less Columbus is getting back.
If that is the case I think we should wait it out. I would want to try and do this without using Monahan.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #5949
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He didn't hold out, but maybe he's sulking in the dressing room, and team chemistry is affected. I guess only the CBJ players and staff really know. But from what i can see from the outside, I'd be wary of overpaying for PLD if he's going to pull the same thing here in Calgary. Sounds like guy just wants to play in either Montreal or in a big US market. I think Monahan and a 1st is overpayment.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #5950
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett+Valimaki+1st 2021. This would be my dream package for PLD.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #5951
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan also holds a tonne of value, even if there are lots of fans jumping on him at the moment. IIRC, he is still the most prolific scorer from the 2013 draft, ahead of MacKinnon who I think is probably the league's best player at the moment.

PLD has asked to be traded. Columbus is in a bind - they have lost a lot of talent over the years. Of course they want to maximize the return, but the longer that this drags out, the worse things get for them. Their season could be lost quickly, and if so, they might as well go into another rebuild (which I am sure they are trying hard to avoid). As soon as a player asks to be traded, that player's value is diminished. That's always been the case. The longer it drags out, the more that value is diminished.

Monahan straight across may or may not be a fair trade for Columbus, but that's the bulk of the trade's value, and I don't think that Columbus is going to do better. What other team is going to better that with a centre going the other way? Sure the Flames will probably add to that, but it isn't going to be a Mangiapane or a Dube. Maybe the Flames include Zary or Pelletier (which would still hurt), but that's what I see as a max. I don't think that Columbus wants a first - they want to avoid a rebuild.

It will be interesting to see where Dubois ends up going to and for what, but I would be shocked if what they get back is much more than a Monahan. Monahan is also signed for 3 seasons, which gives Columbus some stability.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #5952
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bennett+Valimaki+1st 2021. This would be my dream package for PLD.
Dream package? Trading our best D prospect is your dream package?
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 10:34 AM   #5953
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Dream package? Trading our best D prospect is your dream package?
Agreed. Valimaki is a non starter.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #5954
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it’s a D man included it will be Hanifin not Valimaki.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #5955
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got to give something that hurts in the package for PLD. Valimaki is the requisite blood.

We have the organizational strength to bear trading him.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #5956
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Got to give something that hurts in the package for PLD. Valimaki is the requisite blood.

Still doesn’t explain how that is your “dream” trade scenario?

No way we trade Valimaki or Andersson from our group of dmen.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #5957
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We really don't.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #5958
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Eff that, I'd trade literally any other d man than Valimaki. Including our budding supe Andersson. And with all that being said, no way . If that's the cost of blood going for PLD let him go elsewhere. He's not THAT good.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #5959
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Still doesn’t explain how that is your “dream” trade scenario?

No way we trade Valimaki or Andersson from our group of dmen.
It's a dream because it doesn't involve us giving up our current #1C and we still acquire a young potential #1C. Obviously it would be great to trade a 4th rounder for PLD but that's not realistic. Neither is trading Bennett + a dman with lesser potential.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #5960
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that Columbus would be too keen on the dream trade anyway considering the ability and relative ages of their dream defence corps.
Closed Thread