Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #4481
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I walked Kidd and Lorette earlier this year. Kidd first few holes has the big elevation changes, but after that it was fine. Lorette is quite flat as other have mentioned.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:20 PM   #4482
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had my first true sandbagger encounter in league last night. Dude playing as an 18 on NINE holes. Shot 47 with an 8 on one hole. Got two strokes every hole, 5 net birdies and a net eagle. My partner called him out on numerous occasions. Best part was that he was playing with his Dad who shot 6 over and plays as an 11 on nine holes, yes they are in first place…. FWIW, I believe 9 on nine holes, one stroke every hole, should be max for all league players.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 07-23-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #4483
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Had my first true sandbagger encounter in league last night. Dude playing as an 18 on NINE holes. Shot 47 with an 8 on one hole. Got two strokes every hole, 5 net birdies and a net eagle. My partner called him out on numerous occasions. Best part was that he was playing with his Dad who shot 6 over and plays as an 11 on nine holes, yes they are in first place…. FWIW, I believe 9 on nine holes, one stroke every hole, should be max for all league players.
This league doesn’t track people’s handicaps or anything? The most egregious I’ve been witness to was a tournament where someone with a “25 handicap” apparently shot 75 or some dumb thing. It was beyond ridiculous.

I think handicaps are a problem because a lot of people don’t recognize the difference between a handicap and index. Then you have some people sandbagging, and that’s obviously a problem. Then some weirdo golfers want to have a vanity index. I don’t understand the point, but if you want to tell everyone you’re a 5 when you should be a 20, knock yourself out I guess.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #4484
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
That's dumb. Our league handcaps the the league on a weekly basis starting after week 3. Starting point is last year. New players start at 10.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:57 AM   #4485
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a match against a guy once, who claimed to be a 30. I was a 12 at the time. I shot 86 and I think he shot 87, so I lost by double digits.

I called him out on his handicap and he said 'well my average score is about 100'. I had to explain to him that a handicap is NOT an average score, it represents about an 80th percentile of your ability (IIRC). Also, if you can shoot 87, your average score is not likely to be 100.

If you beat your handicap by several strokes (double digits in this case), your handicap is not accurate. It isn't 'impossible', but it is highly unlikely (unless you are in the midst of massive improvement and the handicap just hasn't had a chance to reflect that yet.)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #4486
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Had a match against a guy once, who claimed to be a 30. I was a 12 at the time. I shot 86 and I think he shot 87, so I lost by double digits.

I called him out on his handicap and he said 'well my average score is about 100'. I had to explain to him that a handicap is NOT an average score, it represents about an 80th percentile of your ability (IIRC). Also, if you can shoot 87, your average score is not likely to be 100.

If you beat your handicap by several strokes (double digits in this case), your handicap is not accurate. It isn't 'impossible', but it is highly unlikely (unless you are in the midst of massive improvement and the handicap just hasn't had a chance to reflect that yet.)
We’ll I just shot a 98 at Darcy yesterday after shooting an 80 there 2 weeks ago
So it’s definitely possible to put everything together for one round
Scores this year are

104; 98, 96, 92, 91, 95, 88, 86,89,80, 98

Turns out that 80 just really skews my handicap index in a negative way because it thinks that’s now my potential
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #4487
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminds me of an industry tournament I played in pre-covid at Glen Eagles...

I'm not a consistent golfer at all so when asked for my handicap / avg score I told em...around 105 avg.

Well day of the tournament I turn into a golfing god and shoot low 90's and was flirting with the 80's for a few holes.

On one par 4 I holed out in 3 and with the handicap I had a net eagle.

Boy were there a lot of looks from the organizers when I was picking up my prizes...

The following round...right back to 100+...

Golf...
Old 07-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #4488
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I took a handicap course with the rcga years ago and I remember them saying you should only be able to shoot your handicap around 25% of your rounds.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #4489
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golfed at blue devil this morning - what a great morning for golf.

Thought I golfed well; however, last score I saw on my watch I was +28 at 17……..seems like I will never break 100…..
Old 07-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #4490
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got a bit of time off work last week so got in 4 rounds (of nine). Was hitting the ball much better than I did last year but always finished worse than I started, I think I was tiring a little. Walked all 4 times which isn't hard but for a big guy like me it's still a bit of a slog by the end. I need to do that more. Hope to get in another round or 2 this week, then all bets are off for the rest of the season once I go back to work.

FWIW I still play my Ping A blade putter I got in high school (Grad 85). Traded a bunch of clubs I found in one of the ponds for it at the pro shop.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:31 PM   #4491
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have a chance to play the Winston, do it.

That place is as pure of a course I've played in years. Absolutely immaculate from tee to green.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:07 PM   #4492
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife & I are headed to the Sparkling Hill Resort in Vernon for our anniversary, so I booked myself a round at Predator Ridge.
Super excited to play this course.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 09:14 PM   #4493
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which one are you playing? Predator or Ridge?
Old 07-25-2021, 09:57 PM   #4494
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridge
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #4495
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played Banff Springs again today and had another fantastic round. The weather could not have been better and the smoke wasn't too bad. Short game was pretty solid today and my putting was really good but off the tee and approach shots were still pretty ugly. Worst part of the round was that our cart ran out of juice on the 18th fairway and we had to abandon the cart in the middle of the fairway in front of the green.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #4496
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I played Banff Springs again today and had another fantastic round. The weather could not have been better and the smoke wasn't too bad. Short game was pretty solid today and my putting was really good but off the tee and approach shots were still pretty ugly. Worst part of the round was that our cart ran out of juice on the 18th fairway and we had to abandon the cart in the middle of the fairway in front of the green.
I'm really curious if you were the group behind me today?!? My start time was 3.06pm and when I was off the green at 18 I couldn't figure out where the 2 guys got to as the 2 ladies seemed to be suddenly on the green by themselves. Then driving out of the parking lot I saw a cart abandoned in front of the 18th green!

Anyway, I agree the weather was great with very little smoke. Everything was in much better shape than it was earlier in the season. Always a joy to play.
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:50 PM   #4497
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankcanvas View Post
I'm really curious if you were the group behind me today?!? My start time was 3.06pm and when I was off the green at 18 I couldn't figure out where the 2 guys got to as the 2 ladies seemed to be suddenly on the green by themselves. Then driving out of the parking lot I saw a cart abandoned in front of the 18th green!

Anyway, I agree the weather was great with very little smoke. Everything was in much better shape than it was earlier in the season. Always a joy to play.
Ha, that was us. We were 3:15. We started having an issue getting up the hill behind Waldhaus and then the fairway humps on 16/17 started to become an issue. On 18 we couldn't make it up the slope at that middle fairway bunker. We pushed it up to the flat but it just wouldn't go anymore.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:05 PM   #4498
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Ha, that was us. We were 3:15. We started having an issue getting up the hill behind Waldhaus and then the fairway humps on 16/17 started to become an issue. On 18 we couldn't make it up the slope at that middle fairway bunker. We pushed it up to the flat but it just wouldn't go anymore.
LOL that’s awesome to hear! Small world! You all seemed to be good golfers but did I notice the ladies playing off the same tees as you?
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:51 PM   #4499
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was 3:51 at Banff today.

39 front 44 back with 4 doubles in a row. #### me. Was really feeling it today till those 4 holes.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:12 AM   #4500
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankcanvas View Post
LOL that’s awesome to hear! Small world! You all seemed to be good golfers but did I notice the ladies playing off the same tees as you?
They were mostly playing from the gold tees although they played about 4 or 5 holes from the Reds. We played the par 3 13th from the gold with them as that 180/190 yardage is just awful. On 15 they played from the upper white tees with us because they don't like the pressure of hitting from the patio tee box.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow