Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Old 07-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #6001
Engine09
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did an informal poll at work 4 months ago, I was shocked that it was 50/50 at the time who were planning on getting the shot.

As of now there only 4 unvaccinated out of the 40 I asked. All 4 of these people have wacky ideas, spout off conspiracy nonsense and think they're the smartest guys around.

Last edited by Engine09; 07-23-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #6002
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our office has 4 out of 20, and I hate them all. Ugh.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #6003
Engine09
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a close friend who's a conspiracy nut and refusing the vaccine, I bust his balls constantly and relentlessly telling him to go to the police with his discoveries.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:30 PM   #6004
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I have a close friend who's a conspiracy nut and refusing the vaccine, I bust his balls constantly and relentlessly telling him to go to the police with his discoveries.
Ask him how it feels to have been suckered by Russian disinformation, and doing exactly what Putin wants of him, like a good Russian stooge.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #6005
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I still know people who can’t be bothered to go to an appointment. Only reason. Drives me nuts.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #6006
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/unvaccina...shaw-1.5520459

To be fair, it was a very small percentage of double dose vaccinations on Jan. 1st. I think that statements like this from government officials will have the opposite effect than they intend. These numbers are meaningless, and unvaccinated will see through that, while vaccinated will be agitated.

I understand the intent, but when it comes to any medical or public health issue, I appreciate zero spin.
Agreed - to release data from Jan 1 seems totally irrelevant. My only thought is they are trying to appeal to the people that are not getting the vaccine and therefore they are tying to make the numbers sound as good as possible. Probably thinking those people who would overlook the invalidity of using Jan 1 as the starting point.
Old 07-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #6007
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had my first close encounter with a vaccine hesitant just today. It was wierd, he seemed pro lockdowns to control the virus, and has had vaccines before and isn’t completely against them. But is concerned about these that are still “being tested”, and “experimental”, and are only emergency authorized. Don’t know about long term effects, and that there’s no info on “how long it stays in the body”.

He did keep referring to his “health professionals advice”, and I suddenly realized that probably meant it wasn’t an actual doctor. He also talked about lawsuits against Pfizer that they’ve had to pay out for.

I tried to just have a good conversation/debate, but it can be difficult not to just go “are you effing serious?”

He did say he would probably get it in another couple of years once it has proven safe for longer. I have a feeling when he is told he may not be able to keep working unless he gets vaccinated he may come around.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #6008
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I had my first close encounter with a vaccine hesitant just today. It was wierd, he seemed pro lockdowns to control the virus, and has had vaccines before and isn’t completely against them. But is concerned about these that are still “being tested”, and “experimental”, and are only emergency authorized. Don’t know about long term effects, and that there’s no info on “how long it stays in the body”.

He did keep referring to his “health professionals advice”, and I suddenly realized that probably meant it wasn’t an actual doctor. He also talked about lawsuits against Pfizer that they’ve had to pay out for.

I tried to just have a good conversation/debate, but it can be difficult not to just go “are you effing serious?”

He did say he would probably get it in another couple of years once it has proven safe for longer. I have a feeling when he is told he may not be able to keep working unless he gets vaccinated he may come around.
Can you teach your friend how to use Google? I spent 5 seconds and found this from a fairly reliable site.

https://sciencing.com/degradation-mrna-6196816.html

Quote:
mRNA Degradation
Different messenger RNA are translated at different rates by the cell. Each mRNA differs in the rate at which they are translated into protein and in the stability of the mRNA molecule. The longer-lasting an mRNA molecule is, the more protein products that can be transcribed from the mRNA sequence.

mRNA Half-life
Most bacterial mRNA have a half-life of only a few minutes with bacterial mRNA half-lives varying from less than 1 minute up to 20 minutes. The average half-life of human mRNA is 10 hours with human mRNA half-lives varying between 30 minutes and 24 hours.

Increasing Stability
While cells degrade messenger RNA to regulate the amount of proteins that can be translated from each mRNA molecule, they also modify mRNA molecules in a way that increases the stability of the molecule and increases the protein output under specific conditions and at certain times. The addition of a polyA tail to the 3' end of an mRNA molecule increases the stability of the mRNA molecule. The longer the polyA tail, the more stable the molecule and the more protein that can be translated.
I mean, all it takes these days is just an ounce of actual curiosity and media literacy. The information is out there, it's easy to find, and it's accurate.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why this simple task seems to be so hard for so many people.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:39 PM   #6009
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

If the reason someone is not getting vaccinated is that it is only approved for emergency use then that is a somewhat reasonable position for a sub-30s to take. Covid at today’s rates is not an emergency especially for sub 30 so waiting for full approval and mooching off others immunity actually kind of makes sense.

Where it doesn’t is that you have billions of doses delivered with side affect reporting so the lack of full approval should really cause you to be hesitant.

Apparently in the US about 10% of population say they will get it once fully approved. It’s hard to fault someone for that position. I disagree with it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #6010
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

*meant to quote CPF*

But you know that you can also google it and find lots of other info, and we all tend to latch on to what we want to.

You and I latch on to the scientific explanation that affirms our viewpoint, he latches on to the thing that backs up his “concerns”.

I was almost afraid that he might start telling me how vaccinated people “shed” viral particles, thankfully he didn’t go there. I was thinking about trying to have a non judgmental discussion with him, so that I wasn’t just belittling him into entrenching his opinion.

I also had to work in close quarters with him for several hours that requires teamwork and cooperation.

Oh, and he’s not a friend.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 07-23-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #6011
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One of my siblings won't get it. He doesn't trust the pharmaceutical companies and health care professionals since they were both major contributors to the opioid crisis and he doesn't believe they truly have the public's best interests in mind. He's the first person I talked to that wasn't getting it based on reasons non-related to Covid itself or any of the associated conspiracies about the vaccine.

At my work 4 out of 7 people have it. The other 3 are all younger people who don't feel like they will catch Covid or if they do, that they will experience major illness.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #6012
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
One of my siblings won't get it. He doesn't trust the pharmaceutical companies and health care professionals since they were both major contributors to the opioid crisis and he doesn't believe they truly have the public's best interests in mind. He's the first person I talked to that wasn't getting it based on reasons non-related to Covid itself or any of the associated conspiracies about the vaccine.

At my work 4 out of 7 people have it. The other 3 are all younger people who don't feel like they will catch Covid or if they do, that they will experience major illness.
The answer to that one is trust the data.

You can see covid cases decline and vaccines working. You don’t have to trust Pfizer or health care workers. You do have to agree that there isn’t a massive conspiracy to misreport case data and death data.

Especially as the virus picks back up your risk of death or long term side affects of Covid (which we don’t know) is greater than your risk of death or long term side affects from the vaccine (which we know what is likely to happen but don’t have proof for many more years)
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:06 PM   #6013
darockwilder
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Our office has 4 out of 20, and I hate them all. Ugh.
Where I'm at it's like 5 out of 18. Only one seems hesitant and will probably end up doing it, but the other 4 are hardcore against it and masking and anything like that. Also if the topic of smoky air comes up with this group the fires in BC are always caused by arsonists. Always.

Very frustrating.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #6014
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am happy to report that we are now 100% two dosed in our workplace...

Until Monday, when I hire a 17 year old temp worker. Not even going to ask him at this point, as he's not going to be around for very long, and, as mentioned, everybody else is double vaxxed.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #6015
Vena
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My employer has done everything it could short of saying 'you must get vaccinated;' however, we are being encouraged not to ask our colleagues if they have been vaccinated. They don't want any conflict.

Quite a few people in my life are stopping at the first shot. They seem very concerned about side effects, making time, media reports, etc. I don't understand the the half-in approach.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #6016
Vena
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post

#### the Sackler family and everyone of their ilk that knowingly encouraged the over-prescribing of opioids. They did massive damage to North American society and the public trust in pharmaceuticals. It doesn't help that the punishments they received were so minor compared to the damage they did.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:15 PM   #6017
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a huge HR mess to me. Can you force people to get vaccinated? On the other side, why should I put myself at risk because coworkers won't get vaccinated? I'm betting there will be some lawsuits coming down the pipe.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote