Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #101
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Smith had a stellar season the last one. But asking him to repeat it not one, but twice at age 39-41? Damn. History shows that he'll fluctuate each season, having a good one than a bad one. His first season in Calgary he was very clearly the MVP. Second season he was pretty bad except for vs the Avs.

Similar pattern in Edmonton having a rough first season, than stellar the last one. I wouldn't bank on him repeating it again this season. I get signing him for a year given how good he was last season. But 2?

Only a matter of time before that fanbase turns on him yet again.
Couldnt happen to a nicer guy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #102
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Couldnt happen to a nicer guy.

I wanna catch a BOA solely so I can heckle Smith, loudly, incessantly, and every time the Flames score on his geriatric ass I and my buddies can all scream "YUP!!"
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:56 AM   #103
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
I wanna catch a BOA solely so I can heckle Smith, loudly, incessantly, and every time the Flames score on his geriatric ass I and my buddies can all scream "YUP!!"
I will never forget the regularity of players on the blueline firing slappers pretty much dead square in the center of his chest and the puck inexplicably still going in.

How Mike? How?

When he was playing for us the chant was "Stay in the net Mike!"

Now that he's an Oiler: "Go on Walkabout Mike!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #104
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Mike Smith can play as well as he likes, but from the time he was here right up to the most recent playoffs with the Oilers, we know for every game-breaking run of fantastic goaltending performances in the regular season, there is a complete and utter turd waiting for when the pressure is on and you need him most.

He just doesn't have what it takes. I honestly think he's a good goalie... until you really, really need him to be.
I both agree and disagree.

I think he was a stand-out playoff performer for both the Oilers and the Flames. It was the teams that blew it.

That said, he also has that beautiful ability to turn something harmless into a disaster at the worst possible time that it doesn't give a team full confidence in his stability, which is crucial for a goaltender. When your goalie makes a big save at a clutch moment, you need to be relieved, but not surprised. Dude's a stud. Of course he made that save.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #105
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tend to remember a bunch of soul crushing softies from Smith as a Flame. Often a weak five hole goal. I do not recall a lot of stellar games, including the POs. He's a bad lateral moving goalie and teams figure that out - the Jets did.

That OT series winner reminded me of Vernon v. Smyl except Vernon made the save.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote