Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
Double_Dion
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been reading a lot about routers the past couple weeks, and from what I have read the Netgear WNDR3700-100NAS/PAS or newer WNDR37AV-100PAS are a couple of the best. They offer simultaneous 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz and have a USB for storage.

I am going to be buying one of them in the next couple weeks, whenever I can get one on sale ~ $120.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #22
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
The guy said he was in a house and needed range to a basement suite... which is why I made the initial recommendation that 5Ghz isn't really necessary for his situation cuz he shouldn't be in range of more than 6-7 networks. Hopefully.
Ya, but the other thing is that setting up WDS (wireless distribution - basically range extension) with Apple gear is DEAD, DEAD simple. The basement suiters could buy an Airport express, and extend the range of the 5ghz network in about 5 minutes.

This would give them a strong signal in the basement for devices, and a good performing uplink to the master router.

Edit: If required. I'm not suggesting that the signal will be weak, it might be fine, and likely will be.

Last edited by sclitheroe; 03-01-2011 at 12:39 PM.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #23
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Dion View Post
I've been reading a lot about routers the past couple weeks, and from what I have read the Netgear WNDR3700-100NAS/PAS or newer WNDR37AV-100PAS are a couple of the best. They offer simultaneous 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz and have a USB for storage.

I am going to be buying one of them in the next couple weeks, whenever I can get one on sale ~ $120.
I have one of these and a buffalo router on repeater mode w/DD-WRT and they are fantastic. I usually get 270-300Mbps anywhere inside the house.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #24
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

One thing to point out is that you can plug a USB hub into either the Airport Extreme or the Time Capsule. This lets you plug in multiple drives and printers.

So, even if you did buy a Time Capsule now, you can still plug in additional drives later on for more storage options.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #25
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Ya, but the other thing is that setting up WDS (wireless distribution - basically range extension) with Apple gear is DEAD, DEAD simple. The basement suiters could buy an Airport express, and extend the range of the 5ghz network in about 5 minutes.

This would give them a strong signal in the basement for devices, and a good performing uplink to the master router.

Edit: If required. I'm not suggesting that the signal will be weak, it might be fine, and likely will be.
Its the trade off between cost performance the way I look at it. Airport base is $179 + airport express (+$99) MSRP. With an equivalent buffalo router or netgear router $149 (on sale to $85, which is what I bought mine at). More functionality, better performance (with the amplified router), no need for the airport express though a little more complicated to set up. I set up a router at a friends house this way in under 10 minutes... an additional 5 minutes of hassles at most, and saved the additional $130 odd.

Though again it depends on if you know what you're doing and what you need it for... if you want simplicity, go apple.

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-01-2011 at 12:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #26
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Its the trade off between cost performance the way I look at it. Airport base is $179 + airport express (+$99) MSRP. With an equivalent buffalo router or netgear router $149 (on sale to $85, which is what I bought mine at). More functionality, better performance (with the amplified router), no need for the airport express though a little more complicated to set up. I set up a router at a friends house this way in under 10 minutes... an additional 5 minutes of hassles at most, and saved the additional $130 odd.

Though again it depends on if you know what you're doing and what you need it for... if you want simplicity, go apple.
I don't understand the "more functionality and better performance" bit. I think you'd be hard-pressed to prove to me that a Netgear router out-performs or has more options than an Airport Extreme.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #27
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I don't understand the "more functionality and better performance" bit. I think you'd be hard-pressed to prove to me that a Netgear router out-performs or has more options than an Airport Extreme.
It does have more features...if flashed with custom firmware (DD-WRT)
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #28
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
It does have more features...if flashed with custom firmware (DD-WRT)
Ah yes. Custom firmwares, hacks and modifications.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #29
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Ah yes. Custom firmwares, hacks and modifications.
This is getting way beyond where I will ever need to be with my router.
You Need a Thneed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #30
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
This is getting way beyond where I will ever need to be with my router.
Yes....
for a combination of simplicity and performance you would be hard pressed to find a better router then the AE
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #31
Double_Dion
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Where and when did you get it so cheap? The cheapest I have been able to find the WNDR3700 is $120...
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #32
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Dion View Post
Where and when did you get it so cheap? The cheapest I have been able to find the WNDR3700 is $120...
My brother got it for me in the US. Location closing sale back last October-ish
Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #33
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, there are a lot of features that the airport does not support, wireless hotspots, transmit power adjustment, milkfish, samba, etc.
If you are interested in Enterprise level features and security options the apple product is extremely lacking.

As for the wireless performance... take a look at the small network builders wireless throughput/performance benchmarks in controlled environments to see the difference
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...ess/Itemid,200

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-01-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #34
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If you are interested in Enterprise level features and security options the apple product is extremely lacking.
Now you're just being ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous.

Flashing a consumer router with DD-WRT is hardly "enterprise". Here's a nickle kid, buy yourself a real router: http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solut...isr/index.html

The 800 series are only about $600, and are as robust and reliable as they come.

Nobody here is calling the Apple gear enterprise, but please don't insult our intelligence by calling anything you can buy at Best Buy running DD-WRT enterprise either. There is a lot more to enterprise than a list of features.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #35
Double_Dion
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Now you're just being ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous.

Flashing a consumer router with DD-WRT is hardly "enterprise". Here's a nickle kid, buy yourself a real router: http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solut...isr/index.html

The 800 series are only about $600, and are as robust and reliable as they come.

Nobody here is calling the Apple gear enterprise, but please don't insult our intelligence by calling anything you can buy at Best Buy running DD-WRT enterprise either. There is a lot more to enterprise than a list of features.
Now that is ridiculous.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #36
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Ended up buying a time capsule. Set it up this eve, man, that is easy.
You Need a Thneed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post: