Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #1921
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
These hindsight scenarios make me laugh. Can you imagine the site if Monahan gets demoted to third line after leading the team in goals as a sophomore (2nd on the team as a rookie, without playing with Gaudreau)? Monahan with Versteeg and Frolik? Someone here just said those two were AHL plugs when Bennett was on their line.

Until last year everything worked with Johnny and Monahan, including adding Lindholm - they looked like that was the “next level” ingredient.
I actually do agree for the most part. In hindsight it’s easy to say that they should’ve tried Bennett as the #1 or #2 pivot, but Gaudreau-Monahan did Backlund-Tkachuk worked very well at the time. So it was hard to move away from that. There really was no winger that fit with Bennett, so they eventually had to shift him to wing with Jankowski.

Problem is, the league finally figured out Gaudreau and Monahan for good. So now, the duo that Treliving relied on for most of the team’s offense is no more and the rest of the forwards lines can’t score enough to make up for the former dynamic duo’s lack of production.

Blame can be shifted in a lot of different ways depending on the perspective. But I’d point my main finger at management for not seeing it first. There were signs dating all the way back to the beginning and it’s like they didn’t see it coming or refused to react before #### completely hit the fan. It’s their job and they’re paid to forecast, not just react and I find it difficult that all the people in that boardroom, all that brain power couldn’t see it coming. Not enough smart people in that room methinks.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #1922
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I actually do agree for the most part. In hindsight it’s easy to say that they should’ve tried Bennett as the #1 or #2 pivot, but Gaudreau-Monahan did Backlund-Tkachuk worked very well at the time. So it was hard to move away from that. There really was no winger that fit with Bennett, so they eventually had to shift him to wing with Jankowski.

Problem is, the league finally figured out Gaudreau and Monahan for good. So now, the duo that Treliving relied on for most of the team’s offense is no more and the rest of the forwards lines can’t score enough to make up for the former dynamic duo’s lack of production.

Blame can be shifted in a lot of different ways depending on the perspective. But I’d point my main finger at management for not seeing it first. There were signs dating all the way back to the beginning and it’s like they didn’t see it coming or refused to react before #### completely hit the fan. It’s their job and they’re paid to forecast, not just react and I find it difficult that all the people in that boardroom, all that brain power couldn’t see it coming. Not enough smart people in that room methinks.
I think if you go all the way back to the 2 series against Anaheim signs were there about this core. Maybe we got blinded by beating the canucks that first playoff series but the Flames didn’t just lose their next 3 series. They went 2 and 12 against the ducks and Avs (if you don’t count the play in series). I get why the nail wasn’t in the coffin after the avs series due to regular season success but after that stars series it should have been. But even then Tkachuks playoff injuries always were fairly reasonable excuses why they lost.

It’s very obvious now and for me step 1 to fix this is getting a star center. Step 2 is creating either an unstoppable first line or creating a 2 headed monster up the middle. Getting a Norris caliber dman or at least a top pp dman is needed too but they might take longer to develop.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #1923
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Duclair was another guy that Calgary should have picked up...

he was risky, but the flames seriously needed talent this offseason...

Maybe they tried and he decided he like Florida better.

Calgary isn’t many players #1 destination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 06:23 PM   #1924
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is where I am at too. Either the people in the boardroom or someone doesn't have a good idea of what they are trying to build.
DazzlinDino is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #1925
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't seen much in Kylington that makes me think it matters either way. Pretty clear the organization isn't real high on him either.

But obviously Bennett had a whole lot more to give based on what we experienced during the regular season, so at this point I trust nothing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #1926
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Maybe they tried and he decided he like Florida better.

Calgary isn’t many players #1 destination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, soulchoice will tell you that!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 08:08 PM   #1927
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, soulchoice will tell you that!
LOL, Touche my friend!
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 02:34 AM   #1928
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Blame can be shifted in a lot of different ways depending on the perspective. But I’d point my main finger at management for not seeing it first. There were signs dating all the way back to the beginning and it’s like they didn’t see it coming or refused to react before #### completely hit the fan. It’s their job and they’re paid to forecast, not just react and I find it difficult that all the people in that boardroom, all that brainpower couldn’t see it coming. Not enough smart people in that room methinks.
To add to this.

Both of those top line combinations you mentioned imploded in the playoffs two years in a row, while Bennett exceeded. Surely Bennett earned some top minutes somewhere there?

I've always found it very odd how the Flames seem to give so many chances to their guys, and then shun or pigeonhole other players without any rhyme or reason. In the past I've always chocked it up to management knowing more than I do and getting a better chance to see the talent perform.

However, ppg centre vs fourth line grinder is a massive gap and missing that is something no one who does, what the Flames management does professionally, should ever do.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 03:57 AM   #1929
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wasn't the last reasoning why he wasn't playing was to work on his PK skills in the AHL? How did that progress?
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:25 AM   #1930
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How often did Bennett play in overtime for the Flames?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #1931
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
To add to this.

Both of those top line combinations you mentioned imploded in the playoffs two years in a row, while Bennett exceeded. Surely Bennett earned some top minutes somewhere there?

I've always found it very odd how the Flames seem to give so many chances to their guys, and then shun or pigeonhole other players without any rhyme or reason. In the past I've always chocked it up to management knowing more than I do and getting a better chance to see the talent perform.

However, ppg centre vs fourth line grinder is a massive gap and missing that is something no one who does, what the Flames management does professionally, should ever do.
By the “he did well in the PO” argument, your other best players are Dube, Lucic and Monahan (from previous POs). Not sure who the new top line is.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #1932
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wes Gilbertson with a piece on Bennett today:

Quote:
And why is a guy who was so inconsistent in Calgary now scorching in Florida?

Was Vitamin D the only missing ingredient?

“When you’re on one team for a while, you can kind of be trapped and put in a position and there’s always new, younger guys coming up or new guys to the team, and sometimes they get given bigger roles,” Bennett reasoned. “Just like how I’m a new guy in Florida and I was given a big role right away. That’s just how it goes sometimes. It’s part of the game, I guess. But when you are given those opportunities, you just have to make the most of it.”
https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...ade-to-florida

The article also notes that he won't be in the Panthers lineup tonight, apparently due to a "minor injury".
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:54 PM   #1933
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett already scratched. Flames win trade!!
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #1934
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Wes Gilbertson with a piece on Bennett today:

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...ade-to-florida

The article also notes that he won't be in the Panthers lineup tonight, apparently due to a "minor injury".
interesting
Old 05-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #1935
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Do the Panthers even protect him? What kind of extension are they going to be willing to give a guy based on an impressive yet small sample size?

I feel like we’ve seen what Sam is, regression to the mean is inevitable, and Florida is going to make a long term mistake with him.

We gave him 400+ games under 5 different coaches. There was no lack of opportunity or patience when it came to this player. Out of things to criticize Treliving for Sam Bennett is so far down my list.

Genuinely happy for him to be playing well though, just not convinced
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:02 PM   #1936
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Do the Panthers even protect him? What kind of extension are they going to be willing to give a guy based on an impressive yet small sample size?

I feel like we’ve seen what Sam is, regression to the mean is inevitable, and Florida is going to make a long term mistake with him.

We gave him 400+ games under 5 different coaches. There was no lack of opportunity or patience when it came to this player. Out of things to criticize Treliving for Sam Bennett is so far down my list.

Genuinely happy for him to be playing well though, just not convinced
Them's fighting words around these parts.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:07 PM   #1937
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just wish over the years we had a coach with some balls to take some chances and try things that may result in some ridicule.

Maintaining status quo was too easy and it never amounted to any success.

Why not see what a Bennett on the top line for 10 games between Gaudreau and Tkachuk or Lindholm could do? What would have been the harm - pushing Backlund down to the 3rd line and jeopardizing our shutdown line setup? Why did Backs need Tkachuk anyways? Put him with defensive forwards and have a couple lines that can handle the hard mins - kinda like what Sutter is doing now.

The closest thing to a bold decision we got was putting Simon in the top 6 over and over again. Seems they would only make choices that fit the narrative put in place by the GM.

It probably bleeds down from the top as the goal was always to make the playoffs and see what happened. To me the goal is to build a foundation that can excel in the playoffs because getting in and hoping for the best is not a good strategy.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 05:13 PM   #1938
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when last week I said the biggest thing that would prevent him from playing that style and putting up points consistently would be injury? And then was mocked mercilessly.

Yeah, upper body injury
Old 05-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #1939
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Remember when last week I said the biggest thing that would prevent him from playing that style and putting up points consistently would be injury? And then was mocked mercilessly.

Yeah, upper body injury

I think that "upper body" injury he got when mcdermid targeted him a few time last seaon, had affect on his physical play.
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:31 PM   #1940
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Yeah, upper body injury
“Day to day”, pretty sure they’re just being cautious with him as they close in on the playoffs.

They’re locked in. It’s all just about getting for the playoffs at this stage.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote