Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #81
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Really?! I was wondering if you’d say something like that but that does surprise me. Well then these 30-40 year olds need to get a life. Man our society has become such self-absorbed entitled candy asses. To think that a couple generations ago our grandparents and these blue hairs I think should be off the road were off fighting nazis risking life and limb and people can’t handle the innocuous speed limits of modern society. Disturbing.
It often surprises me, too. I'd have expected a lot of the complaining about speeding to come from older people. But they almost never do...unless it's someone driving "Those damn loud cars up and down my street again!".

The group that really surprises me in reporting traffic complaints are the ones that sound like 18-25yo ladies. I get a LOT of complaints about speeding and 'aggressive behavior' from them, too.

Also, keep in mind that this is just me, and me taking a rough guess based on my experience and their voice, as we don't tend to ask people their age when reporting traffic issues.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #82
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
It often surprises me, too. I'd have expected a lot of the complaining about speeding to come from older people. But they almost never do...unless it's someone driving "Those damn loud cars up and down my street again!".

The group that really surprises me in reporting traffic complaints are the ones that sound like 18-25yo ladies. I get a LOT of complaints about speeding and 'aggressive behavior' from them, too.

Also, keep in mind that this is just me, and me taking a rough guess based on my experience and their voice, as we don't tend to ask people their age when reporting traffic issues.
That is bizarre. I’m not sure how people could reach the conclusion that speed limits are too high to be honest. The point of a car is to make you go faster.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #83
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillman16 View Post
I also witness drivers unable to understand what a stop sign held by a child at a school cross walk means, they roll through while starring at the kids!
Oh man, that was the best part of being a school patrol, when you got to report someone for ignoring your signal. That's a sense of power you don't usually get when you're 11.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #84
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
One collision a day seems like a lot to me.

95 fatalities over ten years and over 3000 injuries during that period. Sorry, you didn't help your case at all.
One a day seems quite low to me. I’m nearly run over weekly by drivers turning onto Kensington Road from 10A St who don’t seem to understand when you’re stopped at a red light and it turns green there’s a possibility that pedestrians will cross the two lane road in the marked cross walk and it’s not ok for you to just turn the corner and drive right through them. /endrunonsentence

We honestly need a thread called Calgary Drivers. Every time I drive, as rare as I can make it, I’m amazed at the number of WTF moments I have watching other drivers.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #85
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

White Tiger you’re extremely insightful. It’a hard to complain when you get a different perspective on the realities out there. Thanks for taking the time to post.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #86
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what we really need is better pedestrians.

That starts at home. Teach your kids how to walk.

I live surrounded by schools and playgrounds and I cant tell you how many times I see a kid heel-turn to the crosswalk to cross the street.

Headphones in, wearing a hoodie so theres no peripheral vision, staring at a phone, not hitting the crosswalk sign....

When a pedestrian makes eye contact with me to make sure I see them and am stopping for them before crossing the street I want to high-five them!

But we've created a generation of pedestrians that are completely oblivious to their surroundings. So much so that they get hit by trains!!

The rules are basically that pedestrians are King and have full right of way everywhere and always, and to a degree I have no issue with that.

But being 'right' is little consolation after being hit by a car because you werent looking and didnt protect yourself.

We need better pedestrians.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #87
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate pedestrians who cross in the middle of a busy street, 30 metres away from a cross walk. Just walk over to the crosswalk and hit the button you lazy ****.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #88
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

A topical article. Speaks about how road design is a large problem in the speeding in playground zone issues, and offers some interesting solutions, such as using the revenue generated from speeding tickets in that area to save up and purchase traffic calming measures, then moving on to a different area and doing it all over.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ions-1.5163587
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #89
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A topical article. Speaks about how road design is a large problem in the speeding in playground zone issues, and offers some interesting solutions, such as using the revenue generated from speeding tickets in that area to save up and purchase traffic calming measures, then moving on to a different area and doing it all over.

I stopped reading at 'Government' and 'saving.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #90
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yep. Echos exactly what I said earlier in the thread.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #91
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
And please, for the next few weeks, maybe listen and tell me if there are some amounts of crashes at that interchange that never get reported on the news. I'd really love to know why they're so obsessed with that particular spot if it has nothing to do with revenue.
As promised, I had a look back at the data we have for 1 calendar year backwards from this date. As of this post, this morning, here's what it looks like. Also keep in mind that these are only the incidents in which CPS attended. If CPS did not need to attend I don't have that info.

For Stoney/Metis:
1 Hit & Run w/Injury attended
6 Injury accidents attended
23 Non-injury accidents attended

For McKnight/Aviation (since McKnight/14 doesn't actually intersect that I could find and Aviation is the closest w/b intersection):
10 Hit & Run attended
1 Injury accident attended
28 Non-injury accidents attended
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #92
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind playground zones at all, it's probably one of the few areas I don't speed. What I do mind is the silly playground zone times. Why can't we just go with what the rest of the province uses? I like what a lot of US states use, which is the lower limit is only in effect if their are actually kids outside. You can't tell me setting photo radar up in January at 8:30pm, when it's been dark out for hours and is -30, is for safety.

Last edited by btimbit; 06-08-2019 at 10:26 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: