Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #21
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Costco Car Rentals

https://www.costcotravel.ca/Rental-C...ntent=20151007

Costco car rentals is dynamite, 25% cheaper on average I found. Just booked a car for Los Angeles, taking the kids to Disneyland. Booked through Costco (Alamo) and got an Intermediate SUV for USD$160 for 6 days. That was less than half of when I checked with Expedia and other sites,
Old 11-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #22
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

In my experience Budget are scoundrels, Enterprise is good, and Alamo is hilariously laid back (e.g. no damage inspection, just letting me take any car I want - "the keys are in all of them, take what you like").

I usually aim for Enterprise and wouldn't touch Budget again.

Priceline might bargain a good deal if you're not picky about company.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #23
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
If you've never done it before, splurge and get a jeep. Soft top so you can go open air.
Just make sure you can close the top completely if you plan on going to Haleakalā for sunrise... I made that mistake... who would've thought it could get so cold in Maui...
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:54 AM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are going in a busy time, book it ASAP. I know they have shortages.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2015, 01:07 AM   #25
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

I swear by Priceline.... I've saved so much in my last 3 trips. At least half with the name your price. My trip 2 weeks ago to Ft. Meyers, the rates were around $45/day for 7 days on every site, booked for $22/day with Priceline.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:44 AM   #26
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ car rental prices in teh US seem so much less than in Canada, eh!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 02:46 AM   #27
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ car rental prices in teh US seem so much less than in Canada, eh!!!
Not just seem...they are.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually go to somewhere like carrentals. com and get a baseline price against Expedia, etc. Then, I mess around with Priceline until I get a low, low price or they give me the "lowest offer price" (because they keep rejecting my offers) which usually is comparable in terms of what other sites are offering.

I will suggest to always keep an eye out on the fees. I remember Priceline giving me stuff like $36 bucks a day (vs $44 normal on other sites) but then you'd pay something like $180 in extra fees and taxes instead of $120 on other sites which either meant you were paying more via priceline, or the prices were pretty much exactly the same. Mess around at $42 on priceline and you'd see the fees drop.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #29
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just booked a rental for Florida in a couple weeks. I am lazy so I just looked through the first two sites I googled. Pick up and drop off at Orlando Airport. $160 Can to go Fri to Thurs.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #30
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Costco Car Rentals
+1...if you have a Costco membership, the Costco Travel site is dynamite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
In my experience Budget are scoundrels
This. I've rented from Budget a couple times...never again. Hidden charges, rude staff, crappy cars. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I can't stand them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Any car rental tips for Maui?
I've used this site for renting in Hawaii -- http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

In fact, we used them on our trip to Maui last year. We needed a van...every place I checked was sold out, and SUV's were over $1000 for the week. These guys rent blocks of vehicles from the companies...I think we ended up paying $900 incl taxes for the van, and they gave us a rental from Alamo. Alamo's own website said they were sold out. The rental even included a free additional driver. They don't tell you the company until you confirm, but unlike Priceline, you can cancel. If rates are too high or inventory is next to nil, check these guys out, they're legit.

I usually check National first if I need to rent somewhere. I hate having to stand in line at the counter, and call me crazy, but I am one of those guys that is very picky about the cars that he drives. I like to look at all the cars available, and pick the one that I want. National's Emerald Club allows you to walk right by the line and pick your own car from the lot. And everywhere I've gone, National's staff have always been super nice and easy to deal with. My wife and I had a Full Size res in Vegas with National, and the Branch Manager was walking around the lot when we arrived. He immediately greeted us and introduced himself, and I asked if he had any convertibles...when I booked, they were too expensive, so I thought I'd ask him. He didn't have any to spare, but he told me I could pick anything from the Luxury section for the same rate, no questions asked.

But yeah, I usually compare prices between National, Costco Travel, and Avis...one of those three usually gives me something at a decent price. Or if we're going to Hawaii, I'll check out Discount Hawaii as well. Because of my bias against Budget, I usually wouldn't touch Avis either, but my company has a corporate discount with them. I've never used Avis yet, though...so far, I've always gotten a lower rate from either National or Costco.

cral12, if you want, send me a PM with your travel dates to Maui. I can see what I can dig up for ya.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #31
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Sign up for an Emerald Club membership with National. You get a preferred rate, and you get to skip the counter and choose your own car from the Emerald Aisle, which sometimes has free upgrades like SUV's.
I booked through priceline with National and I later signed up for the Emerald club because the second driver from the same household is free.

Is Emerald Aisle a place with cars you can choose from even if you booked through priceline?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #32
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I booked through priceline with National and I later signed up for the Emerald club because the second driver from the same household is free.

Is Emerald Aisle a place with cars you can choose from even if you booked through priceline?
Sorry, this post got way longer than I planned. Long answer in the spoiler box.

TL;DR -- Short answer, probably not. But try calling the rental location (not the call centre) and see if they'll add your EC#. If not, ask again at the counter when you get there.

You won't be able to just walk straight to the Emerald Aisle and pick a car though, especially if there's an upgrade sitting there. Whether the counter agent lets you depends on the location.

You can PM me if you have any more questions.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Stealth22; 11-13-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #33
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks a lot, Stealth22. The most important thing is I can get the second driver free with my EC membership which I hope isn't going to be a problem. Free upgrade if there is is just icing on the cake as I already have a Chrysler 200 class reserved.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #34
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Thanks a lot, Stealth22. The most important thing is I can get the second driver free with my EC membership which I hope isn't going to be a problem. Free upgrade if there is is just icing on the cake as I already have a Chrysler 200 class reserved.
That part shouldn't be an issue. Just tell them you're an Emerald Club member, show your card, and they should have no problem with that. National staff have been pretty good whenever I've rented from them.

But yeah, skipping the counter on a non-EC reservation is probably a no go. I hate standing in line at the counter lol, and whenever I rent a car, the line always seems to be a few people long, so I try to go with National whenever I can.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #35
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, kind of weird but during my early driving years there was never a manual transmission at my disposal. I can ride a motorbike and I am used to the motions involved in changing gears there. However, not having driven a manual car, I am curious how fast would one pick up the skills.

The reason I am asking is that it seems the vast majority of vehicles available for rent in Europe are manuals, and the automatics are a bit pricier to rent.

Should I just go for it, or spend more money and have less options renting an automatic?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check Sixt and Avis, I found both of them had reasonable rates for autos, I think Sixt even upgraded me to one when I had selected standard, as it was all they had.. I'm not sure I'd want to learn in the parknig lot of a rental company in a European city.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #37
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Check Sixt and Avis, I found both of them had reasonable rates for autos, I think Sixt even upgraded me to one when I had selected standard, as it was all they had.. I'm not sure I'd want to learn in the parknig lot of a rental company in a European city.

Well, Iceland. It's pretty much going to be driving into campgrounds and circumnavigating the island along the regular roads. I don't expect any city driving.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, well you said Europe...Iceland would probably not be to bad. Getting out of the rental agency might suck a bit, and you may struggle on the hills but it would probably be manageable.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #39
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buy a $1000 car off kijiji, learn to drive it, then sell it again on kijiji for $1200.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #40
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would definitely get some miles in at home first (friend's car?). Iceland is probably not too bad, but learning to drive stick in an unfamiliar place sounds like a recipe for disaster.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post: